• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Coyote and the calf

Started by CCP, July 07, 2007, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCP

I went scouting today and came across something I haven't seen in awhile. I happened to have a camera in the truck and started filming. It was NOT a pretty site but I will show a small clip that kinda gives the idea of what I saw.

The coyote in the clip only had one back leg.

I title it

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

weedwalker

Great filming Rich. :congrats: How long did the ordeal go on? Did the coyote get away?

Bills Custom Calls

To bad you didn't have the rifle with ya.You could have ended that

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

KySongDog

Great clip Rich!  Very interesting.  Did you see the 3 legged coyote do the deed?  The way the film fades in and out I was thinking maybe you came back the next day and found the calf.   :confused:

centerfire_223

Looks like ole tripod took care of buisness, didn't he?
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Bopeye

:wo: Kinda makes ya wonder how that coyote lost a leg....
I have heard lots of stories how you can turn a coyote into a domestic animal killer by crippling him. Ya leave him no choice, but to kill the slower domestic animal since he can't prey on his normal animals. Kind of lends credence to the opinion that if you can't get a clear, killing shot on them........don't shoot. Just a thought.  :innocentwhistle:

That was some cool footage though. The calf was acting very lethargic as well. Do you think he was sick? Where was mama?

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

Yeah I wondered where mama was too. The calf seemed either too young to be too far from mama...or half sick.

Eithway, awesome capture Rich. Get back in here and finish the story, I wanna know how long it went on too.   :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

I don't know Rich, I'm an ol' farm boy, & I'm thinking you need your ass kicked up to your shoulders! :argh:

I would hope you at least paid the farmer for the calf for this rare photo op'?  

DirtyDog

Nice film Rich.....Let me know when you need someone to put that ole dog out of business.  :eyebrow:

stevecriner

Rich, that was definately a good catch, but did you come back the next day and find it dead or did you just watch the coyote kill the calf? And if you did come back later what were the wounds like. Im with jim though the calf seemed sick. If you scared the coyote off and he came back later the coyote new it would be an easy catch or scavenge wich ever...
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

CCP

vvarmitr, I grew up on a beef cattle farm with 550 head of brood cows I surly looked at it as more than a photo op.

vvarmitr you ought to  have your ass kicked up to your shoulders! for thinking bad of me :wink:

Here is the story

We went scouting and was at the top of the mountain and walked down to this valley through the woods. Once we reached the river we seen this happening across the other side. Did not have a rifle only a .22 pistol and the distance was 250 yards. We hollered at the coyote and did a few shots in the air. He only looked at us like we were crazy. There was no way to cross the river without chancing injury to ourselves.

We went back to the truck 30 min away. I grabbed my cam and headed back while my partner went to get a gun and go across the river to the field.

He had to drive to a friends and grab a rifle then drive 13 miles through the valley to get across the river then drive down the river to the gate that accesses the field. He found the gate to be locked and it would have been a mile and a half walk from the gate. The land owner was gone so no key the one we had was for the old lock.

So he drove back and walked back down the mountain to me hoping to get a shot. By this time well over an hour had passed and it was over. Once the coyote had the calf down it just walked off back into the woods.

We went back to the farmers house and he was at home this time. We told him and showed him the footage. He said it was a calf that they bottle feed when it lost it's mother and had been weak for a long time and expected it to die any day. He also said 2 days prior he seen the same 3 legged coyote messing with the calf but didn't have a gun.

He was very nice and said we went above and beyond trying to solve the problem and gave us a new key. We then went and hauled off the calf which was still somewhat alive. (finished it off with the pistol)

It was not a good feeling watching something like this unfold before my eyes but it is a natural thing that happens alot. In most cases we only see the after effect.

I just cant believe you guys for one second would think bad of me. :readthis:  I go out of my way to not let things suffer but this was one of those situations I had no control over.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

bowjunkie

ineresting ,probly a once in a lifetime oportunity to watch very sad but mother nature isn't always nice ...you need to put that one on utube and see hwat the responces are

keekee

Thats a awesome piece of footage Rich! Awesome!

Looks to me like you did everything you could with what you had to work with!

Brent

Hawks Feather

+1 to what Brent just posted.

Jerry

Arkyyoter

THO Game Calls

CCP you're a hot ticket in my book and represent hunters the way the rest of hope we do,

Great footage of a tough situation.

Al
THO Gmae Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
The Call Makers Supply Store
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

vvarmitr

I apologize Rich! :bowingsmilie:  Check your pm.

3rd time to try & post this! :argh:

stevecriner

QuoteI just cant believe you guys for one second would think bad of me.   I go out of my way to not let things suffer but this was one of those situations I had no control over.

Just so things dont get sideways,,,, I didnt think bad when i asked you if you watched it. I was just askin. Now if you said yes with out an explanation i would of thought bad probably. I was curious about it. I couldnt figure why you would watch it but like i told CrossJ on the phone, "If you did i would like to see the wounds on the animal" Not very often does someone have video proof of a kill and the actual wound patterns to back it up.
steve

edit: To say, I would like to see the rest of the footage...
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

Bopeye

Criner,
 I doubt very seriously that Rich is going to put anymore footage of this on the board. The way he explained it to me.....it's pretty graphic.
Both of my kids have seen me kill and skin rabbits and squirrels, but I believe if they watched a coyote take down a calf........it still might be more than their little hearts could take....... :shrug:

I hope he puts a segment of it in his video for the naysayers that say coyotes won't bother cattle........ :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

DirtyDog