• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

How much calling on a stand???

Started by Frogman, December 21, 2007, 02:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keekee

JD about nailed it for sure. We hunt hard and smart. By that I mean we have scouted our areas and know were and what we want to do before we leave in the morning. Kind of a trip ticket like from AAA...lol... But when we bail out of the truck we know were we want to go, who is calling, and so on. A fast wind check if needed and we are on our way.

After hunting with each other as much as we have, we dont even haft to look at each other we just go and do it. Kind of like we can read each other mind. Same with calling almost all of it goes off gut feeling and what we know about the area, Coyotes and how we feel about the spot. Hard to explain I guess.

Brent

ohiobob

I have read ALL these Post's and file them away in my Brain, and I listen to you guys because ou have Called/Killed a LOT more Coyotes than I have or Probably ever will !!! you guys are GOOD  :yoyo:
So what I am taking from all this is that the Silent Periods and Busy Periods above are year round on the Distress
With that being said, I THINK that Breeding Season comes in in a week or so up to the end of February
How does all this Howling info work in the Breeding Period, I mean is there a Set Method or Set Sequence that should
ONLY be used in the Breeding Period ???
What I mean, does a Lone Female Howl Continuosly, or does the Female Howl and Move at the same time ???
Since Breeding Season is coming, or already started, should we Scrap certain Calls and Tactics, or Hit the Coyotes the same way we did BEFORE Breeding Season Came in ???
Thank You
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

possumal

OhioBob:  Never say never or always where Wiley Coyote is concerned. Generally, I use only high pitched, female sounding howls during the breeding season, and not too much of that.  I have found that a lot more respond on the sneak than howling back. Hard telling how many come that are never seen.  That being said, nobody can guarantee you that using a distress sound won't work on a particular stand. All the coyotes don't punch a time clock and start the breeding season at the same time. Knowing coyotes are where you are hunting remains the most important element, and the proper setup is still the next most important element. In my opinion, if you leave every stand in 15 minutes and go to the next one, you'll leave a lot of coyotes behind. A good percentage of the bigger yotes I have killed have come in on the sneak 5 to 10 minutes after the calling ended. If I know I am in a proven setup, I'll usually give them 5 to 10 minutes before heading out.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Jimmie in Ky

Every Female I ever heard looking for a mate was moving through the area. She howls every few minutes while traveling. They start doing this in late december sometimes and continue until they have found thier mate or you get ahead of her and call her in with distress sounds. If you know your area and the terrain you can listen to her a few minutes and knwo where she is likely to go.

Breeding season is when I begin to use a lot of canine distress sounds. I sometimes use a lone howl or two to start the set and wait a few minutes before the distress begins. I prefer this to using howls and other vocalizations. Mainly because I am too lazy to practice my howls that much  :eyebrownod:

Or you can simply treat it just like the rest of the year and use prey distress sounds as well. It all works well. They are a bit more active at this time and cold weather is usually the norm at this time. The pair uses a lot of calories defending their territory and searching for den sites as well as combating the colder temps.  Jimmie

keekee

I don't change much other than I use more coyote vocalizations. We howl year around but during this time of the year it very common for us to use nothing but Coyote vocals. If I am in a good area, I will extend the stand to 20-30 min. I don't know how many times we have killed coyotes at the 20-25 min mark. Learning this from busting coyotes by ending the stand to soon.

Lone howls, puppy distress, Puppy howls and adult vocalizations are very good right now. Coyotes will defend there territory some now but when denning season rolls in they will be allot more aggressive.

Brent

ohiobob

Al, Jimmie and KeeKee
Thank you very much for the Info, and I am going to get out again, and then I will try a few different things in the Next few days.
Thank You once again
Bob

Frogman

Do you guys use use coyote vocalizations in the daytime or just at night??  I have an area with lots of coyotes.  They seldom respond vocally in the daytime.  At night we can get them to respond but the area is so thick we are having trouble getting them where we can see them.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

keekee

Yes I use vocalizations during the day. I don't hunt at night anymore do to videoing. Don't expect a vocal response but they will approach a vocalization stand just the same. Just keep a eye on the down wind side and look for Coyotes sneaking in to the stands. Just because they don't vocally respond don't mean they wont come to your set up.

Brent

possumal

All daytime. We can't hunt at night in Ky..  Like Brent, I find more respond silently than howling back. Get you a good perch where you can watch as much area as possible, and don't howl too much, but keep a sharp eye.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

canine

Theres a good example of how things can work differently in different areas :readthis:. possomal says he don't howl much on stand, I am just the opposite. I found the more howling and using different tones to simulate different aged coyotes I used the better my results.

JD

onecoyote

If I understand you right, you can tell how old a coyote is by the howl it makes? Or you can make different age coyote sounds? Pups I can understand.
I know Bill Austin had a male and a female howler, but he never had one for age.
You may be on to something new here, I've never heard of anyone else ever doing this.

canine

No, I guess I should of worded it different, my bad, I mean younger coyotes as in a pup versus an older dominant coyote that howls out the assembly howl. I do not believe coyotes can determine sex either by a howl. My experiences from trapping, I have caught females that howl at me in the trap that you'd think was a 75 lb. male.

JD

ohiobob

Quote from: canine on January 16, 2008, 08:35:35 PM
No, I guess I should of worded it different, my bad, I mean younger coyotes as in a pup versus an older dominant coyote that howls out the assembly howl. I do not believe coyotes can determine sex either by a howl. My experiences from trapping, I have caught females that howl at me in the trap that you'd think was a 75 lb. male.

JD

Canine
They Howl at you while they are IN the Trap ???
Bob

keekee

keekee

I don't know for sure what Coyotes can tell from Vocalizations. But I am sure they can tell the members of there group from others. Kind of like walking in the mall and someone yells "DAD" I always look but I know as soon as I hear my kids voice that's it not my child.

And I also don't think anyone will ever convince a coyote that they are a member of there group. And I like JD can never tell by a vocalization what the sex of a Coyote is. I to have shot and trapped female Coyotes I thought were males. And males that should of been females....lol

Brent

Nelson

Same as when you're coon hunting.  You can tell your dogs' barks from other dogs on the trail whether they're running or treed,
and a coyote's hearing is much more acute than ours.

Nelson