• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

In the meadows or in the woods???

Started by Frogman, February 07, 2008, 09:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THO Game Calls

What's a field? 

Al

(those light green spots are swamps not fields - the rectangular looking thing is a 15 year old clear cut - impenatrable to man or beast)
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

kyfuzzyface

I hunt any where I think I might get a  coyote llol !!
Fuzzy

HaMeR

:roflmao: :roflmao:  @ CCP!!

:confused:  I guess you hunt the woods an awful lot then Al??!!  :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

THO Game Calls

Yeah, you could say that.

Knowing where I hunt, it was kind of funny to hear how I should ask the farmers and others when and where they see coyotes too.

Al

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

HaMeR

Seems like they wouldn't be able to help you much.

:confused:  Farmers?? Are they the ones growing all those trees??  :shrug:   :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

We have tree farms and tree farmers here.   I even know where a christmas tree farm was operating for a time.  Shut down now though.  :shrug:

jbordy

That Christmas tree farm might be a rewarding place; nice rows, grass inbetween and overhanging branches for even more cover.  As I am reading these posts I can relate to all of the places, even the couch, for set-up.  But the wind plays such havoch here in PA.  I thought I was in a great place last week, location and all, but when I started calllinig the wind decided to swirl.  In ten minutes the wind hit all 360 degrees.
By the way, while you guys are talking about set-ups and areas to hunt it would be nice to know what U.S. state you are located.  PA is a far cry different than Nebraska!  And CCP- "to kill 5 a year in a field and it increases to 15 to 20 in the woods :congrats:"- I haven't seen 5 coyoties in my life time let alone had a gun in my hands and a call between my teeth.  :shrug: I think us hunters in the east have a more difficult time with numbers than the hunters in central and western U.S.  But, you know, I could move, or even better "ROAD TRIP"!!! :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
Learn daily and pass it on.

vvarmitr

Jbordy : your Eastern Coyote Song is one we all here in the east have sung including CCP.

Not seeing that many eastern coyotes isn't because they aren't there as it is there is something in the way. Greenery, hills , buildings, & the ike.

I've been preaching for several years that here in the east we are going to have a higher concentration of coyotes then they do out west.  What's to stop it?  :shrug:  It sure isn't a lack of food & shelter! :rolleye:  Urban sprawl isn't going to stop it. That's just more food & shelter.  :doh2:

Kind of the buzz I've been hearing lately, or it just really applies to me  :innocentwhistle:   is ... a coyote is coming to every stand you make, be ready!  They come to bad set-ups, lousey calling & a plethora of other things you won't mention you did here on the board. They come! They really do.  ;yes;  But to few of them come in stupid to make fun.  :madd:

Is there a coyote behind every bush?   :wo:                    :holdon: No, not yet!  :whew:
It takes some scouting, but I'm not going to twist the tail on that cat. It better twisted by Kee Kee.  Check out his video on hunting coyotes here in the East.  :wink:

jbordy

I have seen Kee Kee's hunting tape and really liked it.  And I know the @#$% coyotes are here, they are just not coming in close enough to see or shoot.  I see their tracks, their urine displays, and their damage to a dead deer.  And you are probably right, I NEED TO KEEP READY, so I hear what you are saying.  And if I don't mind saying, all of the "bad" things I have done on stand.  If it could be done I did it at least twice.  I have blundered my way through life, I might as well blunder it through coyote hunting.  I just really enjoy it no matter how badly I do it.  But thanks Vvarmitr for boosting my enthusiasm to go out again tomorrow.  BUT I SURE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE "STUPID" ONES SHOW UP ONCE IN AWHILE.  So can I assume you are from Vermont, up there with the Benoit's?

MI VHNTR

All of my hunting is done in the woods. There are very few openings to hunt here. A 60 yard shot would be a long one where I hunt. MI VHNTR
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

vvarmitr

Quote from: jbordy on February 16, 2008, 05:35:43 PM
I have seen Kee Kee's hunting tape and really liked it.  Really?  :confused:     :hahaha: KeeKee  And I know the @#$% coyotes are here, they are just not coming in close enough to see or shoot.  I see their tracks, their urine displays, and their damage to a dead deer.  Atta boy you're getting out there! :wink:   And you are probably right Yeah, I am!  :biggrin: , I NEED TO KEEP READY, so I hear what you are saying.  And if I don't mind saying, all of the "bad" things I have done on stand.  If it could be done I did it at least twice. I'm w/ ya on that one Bro as most of us are.  :rolleye: I have blundered my way through life, I might as well blunder it through coyote hunting.  It is so nice to find a kinderd spirit.  :eyebrownod:   I just really enjoy it no matter how badly I do it.  But thanks Vvarmitr for boosting my enthusiasm to go out again tomorrow.  BUT I SURE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE "STUPID" ONES SHOW UP ONCE IN AWHILE. That's how I got my first one!  :innocentwhistle: So can I assume you are from Vermont, up there with the Benoit's? Ohhhh, if only I could hunt deer liike they do!!!!  :thumb2:  No, I'm in East Central Ohio

Jbordy: You made the right move by coming to this site. You'll fit in just fine!  :wink:

leehop

After reading all the posts here, I have come to one conclution, you hunt them where they are and you shot them where you see them.

jbordy

Well it has been awhile but I must say that I did get lucky last weekend  :highclap:for the Mosquito Creek and St. Marys coyote hunt.  I got one Saturday evening about 5:30. :highclap:  I desperately wanted to sit in the "meadow"  but forced myself to go deeper into the thick stuff because of all the tracks I saw.  Sure enough the female was heading for a partially eaten deer through the thick and she met with my 870 and Dead Coyote load. :eyebrow:  34 lbs by the St. Marys scales.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

QuoteI got one Saturday evening about 5:30.

Good job jbordy  :yoyo:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

vvarmitr

:yahoo: WTG jbordy  :yahoo:

Who says you can't teach a retired teacher new tricks.  :laf:                Hey, it wasn't me!  :nofgr:

Now the next trick to learn is we need pix & a story!  :eyebrow:

Frogman

Once the leaves come on in the spring do you guys find yourselves hunting the meadows more? :confused:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

alscalls

The best I have done Jim, when the leaves are on is to hunt them a lot like turkeys :eyebrownod: the ideal spot for me is a high, secluded  meadow. With a small patch of trees or brush off by itself. I will tuck into that small patch of cover and try and call em up hill when I can. This gives the coyote one patch of cover to go to to hide in......where you are. :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod: These kind of areas are rare but when I find them I hunt them and It seems to work a little better.
Here in WV we can only hunt the medows right now to be leagal and I wish they would change that. :biggrin:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

golfertrout

Jim if i had my choice i would hunt in the open fields but sometimes its hard in this area, i dont mind hunting in the thick stuff but u have to be ready ask Al about that. I think yotes can get around u in the thick stuff better without u seeing them

golfertrout