• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

What do I do?

Started by Hidehunter, February 24, 2009, 09:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hidehunter

I believe it was last Tuesday when All this happened and I havent been back to that stand.  I figured I would let things cool down a bit.  May go try it out tomorrow.

What part of WV are you in....Craigsville/Summersville here
Denver                                           

alscalls

Here is Jon's web site it will answer some questions for ya.........He is right up the road from me.
http://www.wvhillbillyhowler.com/
Jon, you should include this in your profile......
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

wvhillbillyhowler

i want you to understand that when i said to move 4 to 5 hundered yards i mean do not go to them, do not go away from them, go parrell to them. the long howl's will settle the yotes down. then you have to wait and be very very patient i know this is very hard to do but patients will kill you a dog. i hunt this way myself, but when i hunt this way myself or with friends, i tend to be impatient and over call a stand. patients learning what the howl's mean, and knowing what to say back to them, will get you dog's. there's many ways to get dogs with a howler but you have to know what the dog is saying first. you can call with loud volume as long as the dogs are far away, or when the wind is blowing high.the loud volume doe's not bother them. in these two ways. buton a clear night no wind close dogs aloud distress call your busted.you can howl as loud as you want on a clear night, it does not bother them. i know i have a 14in. texas long horn howler, and i've howled them at 20yrds. away but aloud distress call in the same situation will get you warning howled i hope this helps you.  wvhillbillyhowler

Hidehunter

It makes alot of since.  I was making a distress call probly way to loud and thats when I got the warning howl.  I got ALOT to learn.  Im already hooked though.
Denver                                           

wvhillbillyhowler

yotes do not challenghowl distress sounds

Hidehunter

From what everybody is telling me the challenge howl and the warning howl sound real similar and as of right now I dont know the difference.  I believe it was a warning howl and we got busted.  It may be like you said I was playing the distress call to loud.

What is the best way for me to tell the difference between the warning howl and the challenge howl?
Denver                                           

wvhillbillyhowler

Almost all the time when they challenge howle 3 barks short aggresive scream of a howle a male is short deep howle almost always they move forward get around a den this spring and howle ones you will find out real fast what this howle sounds like or you can come hunting with old hillbilly this summer I will get you bitt :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Hidehunter

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  Sounds like fun to me
Denver                                           

wvhillbillyhowler

Did you say what county you live :confused:

Hidehunter

Denver                                           

wvhillbillyhowler

do you have very many dogs there

Hidehunter

We have quite a few actually,  Havent been seeing as much sign here lately.  We have alot of old Strip jobs.  I was trapping them and got into trying to call them in.  I've hunted 5 times so far with no success.  Having a blast though.
Denver                                           

DawgGone

:wo:
Primos and Randy Anderson have teamed up to produce a DVD called "Mastering the Art" - "Guide to calling Predators".
In it, are clips of actual yote hunts all over the the USA and Canada.
It describes all the different calls of the coyote and.....  when and when not to use them. The DVD as you might expect is a big promotion for Primos Coyote calls. But that aside, it is in my opion a good learning aide for the novice.
He explains the difference between a Challenge Howl, a Warning Howl, a Locator Howl, a Female Invaitation Howl, and other vocalizations that you can use as he says, " to build a senerio".

Randy Anderson also describes how he makes a series of short kissings sounds  or a mouse squeaker  to coax the little darlin's in close for the shot.

I to am newbe at this wonderful sport, and I did find the DVD very useful.  I will confess  :shrug: I did buy the Primos products, but  there are many name brand Coyote Howlers out there that will do the same job.  At least now,  I have the confidence to go out and try different things and hopefully recognize what the yotes are trying to say out their.
It is illegal to night hunt here in British Columbia, so I dont know how hunting at night plays different.

Cheers from Canada! 

wvhillbillyhowler

We will hook up soon go kill some dogs :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:

Hidehunter

Quote from: wvhillbillyhowler on March 08, 2009, 03:51:16 PM
We will hook up soon go kill some dogs :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:

Sounds good to me.

Thanks for the info DawgGone,  I'll check it out.
Denver                                           

LORDDAL

Hey Hidehunter I am over in Pocahontas County we may have to get together some time and see if we can find a yote or 10 to put the hurt on I know we have loads of them here and craigville isnt that far from me so we might just have to do a hunt or 2 in your areas I hunt mainly Sharps knob area old strip mine and the scenic highway in the fields
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

Hidehunter

Yeah we will definatly get together  :yoyo: maybe I can learn a thing or two.  I was thinking the other day about hunting up on the scenic highway.   My father in law dug some ramps up there yesterday.

I got some yotes here at home if I can figure out how to get them in  :wo:
Denver