• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Anyone use a .......

Started by Roundman, August 13, 2009, 03:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundman

220 bucket set? I have tons of coons and want to get rid of them. Come on trapping season.

Todd Rahm

I used them off and on for fox and such. Plus I know one guy that uses them exclusively on the islands because they can be pre baited, stacked and hauled perty easy on his boat.  Do ya have a specific question about them?

KySongDog

I've used them a few times.  Just fooling around really and not trying to make a go of trapping for money.   Used round 5 gallon buckets with two holes drilled in the sides near the bottom so as to drive a rebar stake through it.  Keeps it from rolling.  You will catch more than just coons in it.

alscalls

Illegal to use them here.....But I have used them for damage animals.......
I used to hang something shiny in them and put some raw hamburger in behind that......the 220 does a nice job of killing most coons that enter...... :eyebrow:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Roundman

Quote from: Todd Rahm on August 13, 2009, 03:47:01 PMDo ya have a specific question about them?
How deep do ya cut the bucket for the trap to set in?
Quote from: Semp on August 13, 2009, 05:49:26 PM
You will catch more than just coons in it.
I gonna try to  set it off the ground, I don't want to catch fox or dogs.

Todd Rahm

Well I'm not sure about setting it off the ground, as I never had to. I just cabled it to the base of tree, etc..

I just put two inch (by eye)  deep notched "L"s in the mouth of the bucket. Just enough where one side of the spring would sit in there after the 220 was set, and the trap set about flush with, or just a hair inside the lip of the bucket.

Its actually a lot simpler then it sounds.

Todd Rahm

Give some of these a look........

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=220+trapping+bucket+set&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

I also only used the square buckets and placed the trap in the mouth of the bucket, but reading one of these links, I seen a fella cut the ends out of the sqare buckets and used them that way as he says the trap fit better. (Something I might try if I ever get back into it)

KySongDog

On a 5 gallon bucket with 220's cut the bucket about 3.5-4.0 inches down each side so the spring would fit and hold the trap so it wasn't touching any part of the bucket.  Then drill a hole at the back end of the bucket on both sides (top to bottom) and drive a rebar stake through to keep it from rolling. 

I know as much about trapping as I do about flying a space ship so be warned.   :biggrin:  But the above set caught coons.  Elevated or in a tree, I don't know. Never tried that. 

I'm sure there are some trappers here who can tell you the right way.   :biggrin:

alscalls

AHHHHHH.......I never used a square bucket before......and if I were trapping in a tree I would use a cuff or a leg hold as coons are easy to catch and kinda dumb....
I would always set a leg hold trap on top of my deer feeder and would catch a coon almost every night with no bait other than the feeder and in no way tried to hide the trap..... :laf:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

OKTrap

Use a 220 or a 160 in a square bucket wish fish or fish heads thrown into the back ... and bingo. Just make sure bucket sets are legal in your state.