• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Scope

Started by pitw, January 13, 2010, 04:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

You fella's are probably aware by now that what I know about scopes is more negligible than what I know about women.  I have a fellow in Europe who is willing to bring me one of any they make there.  What I need to know is what you guys think would be a good scope for low light conditions?   
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

The bigger the lens the more light will be able to come through.  With that being said, when you get too large of a scope on top of a gun it can become more of a pain than a pleasure.  There are two (more common) sized diameter tubes  (not the lens, but the center part) and those are 1 inch and 30 mm.  The 30 mm obviously is larger, lets more light in, and you also get to pay more for the scope mounts since they are not as common.  They also need higher mounts so that the bell of the scope doesn't sit on the barrel.  Do you have any idea what company in England makes scopes.  I would assume BSA but I don't really know if they are made there or just made for them. 

Give us a little more information - like what gun you are planning to put it on, etc. and we will probably be able to give you more answers.

Jerry

iahntr

yeah, I'm curious too, what brands are your choices?
Scott

GunDog

Tell'em to bring you one of those big fancy Swarovski's, Khales or Zeiss - in no particular order. If you don't like it you can pass it on to me, grin. On a serious note - it would help to know what your intentions of use might be ...  :wink:

coyote101

Quote from: GunDog on January 13, 2010, 06:37:53 PM
Tell'em to bring you one of those big fancy Swarovski's, Khales or Zeiss ....

..... or Schmidt & Bender.  For low light 50mm or 56mm is going to be best, but they have to mounted high to clear the barrel.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

Okay this is the Icelanders fault :argh:.  I can get most any kind and Swarovski's, Khales or Zeiss are not out of the question.  I'm guessing[cause I don't know] the 30mm tube is what I'm after also and I don't want, need or am willing to learn what all the other little gizmo stuff in/on them is for.  I don't want to change my heighth much cause I hate change[unless it goes in my pocket]. 

KySongDog

Here comes another opinion, Barry.   :eyebrownod:

All the scopes mentioned are top of the line.  If I was picking, it would probably be the Swarovski.  I really like the Z5 3.5-18X44 scope.  But I just can't afford it.   :nono:

FinsnFur

Is this gonna be a Birthday present for Bob? :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

The Swarovski get my vote.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

pitw

Bob has the eye sight I was born with and can use iron for all I care :innocentwhistle:.  I don't even know if I want one cause then all the rest of my stuff will look like junk.
Semp I looked at that scope and I think that 18 power would be just to much for me :shrug:.
Man they put a lot of trinkets on these things eh.
I just want clear optics for low light that I look through, not something I need 4 years in school to run. :pout:

KySongDog

Don't let the 18 worry you too much.   :nono:    With that 3.5-18x44 scope you can start out with 3.5 power and go up to 18 if needed.  The 18 is only if ya need to to take a really long shot.  :laf:   That 44mm bell lets in lots of light and Swarovski's optics are extremely bright and clear.    It is an excellent low light scope.

Palegroe

Sightron,Nightforce, or one of the new Vortex Razors, or an US Optics is what I would chose if some one was bringing me one.  I would go with a 30 mm tube and wouldn't go with any bigger than a 44mm Objective.  When the OBJ lens gets real big it throw your ballistic tables off a little because the scope is setting up so high.  I personaly would go with a big power zoom either.  I like 3-12 or 3-14 10 power or so works fine out to 600-800 yards and most of the time it will be set on 3 if you hunt places like i do.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with Him.  Rev 6:8

FOsteology

What is the intended use? What rifle is this going to go on? And what's your budget?

I have had and hunted with just about all of them at one time or another. Through my trial and error over the years, aside from laying down the serious $$$ for Gen 3+ night vision scope, Schmidt und Bender Zenith with Flash Dot is hands down THE best for extreme low-light hunting.

My ranking of the various brands based on hands on use:

1. Schmidt und Bender Zenith Flash Dot
2. Zeiss Victory Diavari Illuminated
3. Swarovski Z6i
4. Kahles Helia CSX
5. Kahles Helia CBX
6. Swarovski PH Illuminated
7. Nightforce NXS