• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

birds of a feather..."For Barry" :-)

Started by Silencer, May 05, 2010, 01:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

Yesterday I'll admit I messed up a dandy of a bird hunting with my dad.  30 yds and I lifted my head off the stock like a noob and missed  :doh2: 

Today I went back to the same location with my duck hunting buds and the parking area's right full of cars ( public land ) so I went down the road bout a mile to the edge of the game lands and started up.  Right off the batt they light right up.. double & tripple gobblin.   We get in there on the back of the swamp where I called in the bobcat over winter and set up my buds 30yds out in front of me and start talking.  They were fired right up !!!!   comin right in... then a hen starts here sh** and I cut her right off just a bit**in at her, cuttin her off every time she tried to yelp LMAO !!!  It sure worked, she headed back down the other way, the entire time the gobblers were struttin and carrying on but wouldnt break the edge of the woods.  Bout 30 mins of playin with them we pick up and make a half circle and set up for my buds to shoot.   Still..........THEY WOULDNT BREAK !!!!  Pick up again and now its 1 hr of working these birds w/out them doing what I want them to do.   I get my buds set up again then move to their right when I noticed the birds right there !!!   I crouch down n start purrrrrrrrring softly and clucking but they knew somethin was wrong.   The one bird starts putting so I picked up a branch n started scratchin the ground purrrrrrrrrring the whole time.   He didnt know what I was n thought it was a hen cuz he came to investigate, and I let him have it.  The 2 others were bigger but this guy presented himself nicely. 

I appolgized to my buds cuz I wanted them badly to get one but they werent mad and happy that I shot after all that calling.

Ryan Myself and Blade.... "Birds Of A Feather"

pitw

Thanks :biggrin:.  Great story :yoyo:.  I didn't realize you could move around like that  :shrug:.  If'n I ever get the chance all these pieces of information are going to come in right handy :eyebrow:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Silencer

Technically you shouldnt Barry but the foilage/leaves are already so thick you can get away without them spotting you.   

pitw

Quote from: Silencer on May 05, 2010, 01:53:47 PM
Technically you shouldnt Barry but the foilage/leaves are already so thick you can get away without them spotting you.   

Thanks Vic but me and technicality's have always had problems :innocentwhistle:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

JohnP

I have never hunted turkey, just no desire.  However after reading all these stories I may just give it a try next year.  Congratulations on your bird.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Coulter

Way to go Vic...Nice bird and great write up. :yoyo:

HaMeR

I love it when they come in all whited out!!  :yoyo: :yoyo: Good job of calling Vic!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

RReal nice bird :yoyo: In fact it's so nice it left Al speechless :laf:

What'd it weigh, it looks huge?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Nice job, Vic!   :congrats:   And a great story!  Way to stay after 'em.    :highclap:

Silencer

Thanks all !!

Jim, I never weighed but I'd guess 18-19 lbs.  

Its crop was right packed full of corn  :confused:  not sure where it was eating that.  

FinsnFur

Boy, I'd expect it to be a mite heavier
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

markTNhunter

good job silencer great calling  :highclap:  :highclap:

Dave

Great story - and quick thinking with the scratching. 

bambam