• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Well, I didnt get skunked

Started by FinsnFur, September 06, 2010, 08:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

It's been so long since I was able to get to the river and wet some jigs I started to get the jitters.
Got up this morning around 5:00 and headed down to the river with high anticipations :eyebrownod:

Very first cast...WHAM!...oh mannnnnnnn this is gonna be a good day! :yahoo:

Never had another single hit, bump snag, swirl, miss, or strike. Couldn't even bounce it off a rock to give me that false impression of a hit.  :sad:

Ah well......it felt good to get down there swatting and digging gnats out of my sockets :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

coyote101

Like you said, you didn't get skunked; a successful day.  :highclap: :highclap: Gotta love those knats eh? When I was stationed at Ft. Rucker we called them the Alabama state bird.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Pat  
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

When out for a little while yesterday afternoon. I figured it'd be useless as the river really dropped down here over the last couple days, but I wasnt going to let it stop me.

Didn't end up with much but it was an enjoyable peaceful day.

Alligator Egg
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 12, 2010, 08:41:17 AM
  I figured it'd be useless as the river really dropped down here over the last couple days, but I wasnt going to let it stop me.

Okey dokey, call me stupid[not like it'll be the first time :laf:] but if the river is down, doesn't that mean less water so that there is more fish per cubic feet.  That would mean that your chances should actually increase, not?

5 SHOTS

I must be stupid too. Around here when the river goes down, there is less junk for them to eat floating down, and the fish seem to bite better.  :shrug:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

coyote101

Quote from: pitw on September 12, 2010, 08:48:45 AM
Okey dokey, call me stupid[not like it'll be the first time :laf:] but if the river is down, doesn't that mean less water so that there is more fish per cubic feet.  That would mean that your chances should actually increase, not?

Less water to hide from the alligators too Barry.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Jimmie in Ky

In hte mississippi and ohio rivers it depends on how fast they go down. A quick drop moves them to holes we often cant reach from the banks.  Slow drops keep them feeding in normal patterns at creek mouths and slough openings where baitfish congregate.

That looks like a hybrid Jim. Your state stocking any? I dont catch one often but it's always noteworthy when I do. Jimmie

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 06, 2010, 08:36:23 AM
Very first cast...WHAM!...oh mannnnnnnn this is gonna be a good day! :yahoo:

Let the record show that there is a SHIRT SLEEVE in the first photo, shown above.  The holder of the fish (and by implication), the author of the post, was wearing a shirt.

Pitw, take note.  Jim does own a shirt. :biggrin:

KurtisG

Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

coyotehunter_1

Quote from: Okanagan on September 12, 2010, 12:37:06 PM

Let the record show that there is a SHIRT SLEEVE in the first photo, shown above.  The holder of the fish (and by implication), the author of the post, was wearing a shirt.

Pitw, take note.  Jim does own a shirt. :biggrin:

I don't know fellers :confused:     Shoot....anybody can catch a fish but it takes real geeky talent to photo shop a shirt sleeve on a bare arm.  :laf:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FinsnFur

Quote from: pitw on September 12, 2010, 08:48:45 AM

Yeah theoretically speaking it would put the fish that are in the river into a smaller area, but 1; it's far from the phrase, "fishing in a barrel".
And 2; lowering water levels puts pressure on the fish making them less responsive.

I do have a shirt Okanagan, Barry knows that.
In fact I just washed it this morning. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 12, 2010, 05:51:46 PM

And 2; lowering water levels puts pressure 

How so?  Less full tank means less head pressure :confused:

FinsnFur

There's an act at play here involving lateral lines, barometric pressure, air temperature, etc  thats much different then chemical spray tanks. :laf: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 12, 2010, 06:28:36 PM
There's an act at play here involving lateral lines, barometric pressure, air temperature, etc  thats much different then chemical spray tanks. :laf: :laf:

I'm here to learn so fill me in boss,  How does the air temperature of a lateral line effect the barometric pressure of an etc. :shrug:

FinsnFur

A falling barometer takes pressure off of the fish. Do you know what barometric pressure is?
When barometric pressure is high, air is sinking and pushing on the ground.
When that air rises, it cools down and creates condensation. (right before a front ) Which brings the barometric pressure down.

How much pressure magnification ya think you'd feel pushing down on the atmosphere if you were submerged in a body of water. Quite a bit. 
Now decrease the level of the water and the pressure increases.
Plus to do all your hearing through a organ called a lateral line that senses movement and vibration in the water, despite it's levels.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

pitw