• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Process...

Started by Yotehntr, September 03, 2011, 02:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

Thought some might be interested in a little of the "Yotehntr" process.??  Had a buddy that's bought a few of my upper end calls "suggest" some materials.. I've kind of quit taking orders, (turns my hobby into work) but I really like the materials he suggested. 

A little square of Desert Ironwood burl... I think it's cool as heck that the good 'ol USA has something this pretty as a domestic wood...

When you turn a square into something round it beats the heck out of your equipment... I cut it round on the bandsaw...

I bought some Elephant Ivory in Gatlinburg TN.. at a little knife shop about a year ago.... turned it to dimension, cut a little stair step into the wood and glued it into place...

After the glue dried I cut my bead, and removed the excess...

After some turning and sanding I put a little oil on her... it's on a "pin" mandrel here I made my own but "builderone" is the 1st guy I know of that sells 'em.

I still have a lot of work to go, the toneboard will be Hippo Ivory, and I haven't started the finish yet...
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

riverboss

Man what a beautiful piece of wood i realy like the dark wood i just play around alittle myself with calls, i realy enjoy it i thinks i get more satisfaction from useing my own calls i hope i can get half as good as you are as yours are a piece of art also. :yoyo: What kind of lathe are you using?

iahntr

Beautiful piece of wood and very cool with the elephant
and hippo ivory ! Another one very nicely done.  :congrats:
Scott

FinsnFur

Interesting.
That oil really kicked it up a notch too didnt it. :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Yotehntr

LOL yeah the oil will make the grain really jump out! 

:confused: Well this took a little longer than I'd planned on... working to much overtimes been getting in the way of my hobbies! LOL Well I finally got it put together. It sold before I had it all the way put together. 

It's a Desert Ironwood Burl barrel, with an Elephant Ivory bead. It is followed with one of my o-ring fitted Hippo Ivory toneboards.  Both pieces are carrying my CA finish inside and out, buffed and polished to a very high gloss.  I hope the new owner will like it!

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

FOsteology

Ironwood burl is an eye catcher. I've never been much of a craftsman myself (two left thumbs), but can appreciate the amount of time, effort, creativity, and workmanship that goes into creating something from a chunk of wood.

centerfire_223

Man that is one awesome looking call, thumbs up on this one.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-