• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

North to Alaska

Started by coyote101, August 29, 2012, 08:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

One week from today, on September 5th, I am heading to Alaska to go moose hunting. Flying out of Nashville, through Chicago and on to Anchorage to meet up with an old friend who lives up there. Some last minute prep and packing on Thursday and then the long drive west to GMU 12 on Friday. The season starts on Saturday the 8th and we will probably hunt for ten days before returning to Anchorage.

He and I hunted a different part of the state back in 1997 and I was lucky enough to take a small (30 inch) bull. The area we are going to this year has a minimum 50 inch or four brow tines on one side requirement. That's a tough standard, and I'm not at all confident in my ability to judge whether or not a set of antlers is 50 inches wide or only 49. I can tell you from my one past experience that even a 30 inch moose looks big to someone who isn't used to seeing moose all the time. Misjudging and shooting a sub-legal moose would be a very costly mistake so I'll have to err on the side of caution and rely a lot on Pete's experience.

I will be taking a couple of calls along to try my luck at a calling a wolf. There are enough wolves in the area that a nonresident doesn't even need a tag to take one, and frankly, I would be just as happy if I could call and shoot a wolf as I would getting a moose. 

I drug the .375 H&H out of the safe a few weeks ago and have been shooting it some to make sure it shoots where I point it and get reacquainted with the recoil, which is substantial but tolerable. I'm heading to the range again in the morning to touch off a few more rounds.

I spent some time and money at Cabela's in St. Louis last week and have hunting clothes and equipment spread out all over the place. Now I have to figure out how to fit it all into my baggage so I don't end up paying those crazy extra bag fees. I think I'm close.

I got a new camera for the trip, so moose or no moose I intend to take a bunch of pictures to bore my friends and family with.

It should be great, wish me luck.

My little 30 inch moose from 1997:

My friend Pete shot this 68 inch bull several years ago. I hope for one like this:

Here is my little moose shooter:

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Good luck, Pat!    I hope you can bring a little moose meat to the LBL in February!     You are going to have a great time no matter if you bag a moose or not.

Here is a good video on judging a legal moose in Alaska.    You may have seen it already as it comes from the Alaska Fish and Game folks.

#

Dave

That is fantastic!  I'm psyched for you and hope to get bored to death with tons of pics from up there. 
I have some friends that will send there gear ahead of time, or send it back and save on what the airlines would charge (not sure if it's feasible to Alaska, though).  Heck, I always bring several changes of clothes and end up wearing the same pair the entire time.
Well good luck and be safe. 

Todd Rahm

Good luck, be safe and if ya need anything in the lines of help and I'm not out hunting myself I'll be more then happy to lend ya a hand.

When you see a moose that looks like ya could throw a twin mattress on his rack and call it a bed, you'll know he's big.  :biggrin: A good example is in that pic of your buddy's 68 incher he looks small but I know from experience up close he's massive.  :biggrin:

HaMeR

That is really cool Pat!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  Best of luck & I hope you get a moose & a wolf my Friend!! I am already anxiously awaiting the pictures!!!!!!!  Be Safe!!!!!!!   :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

iahntr

Well I know how excited I was when I was in your shoes !   :biggrin:
Have a safe and great trip !!  and always look forward to the pics !
Scott

Okanagan

Hey, Pat, good for you!  Have a good time and find a big one.  I hope you have great weather.  Looking forward to the pics when you get back.

yotefever

Good luck on your trip/hunt. How about shipping some of your stuff to your friend, it should be cheaper then they are charging on airlines and you won't have to worry about lost luggage like I had a few years ago.
I have a friend up in AK and have to get up there for a hunt and just to see the place ( and shoot a wolf too).
http://www.whitcombministries.org/
http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"My Jeep won a war...Your Honda mows my yard !"

Dave

Just looking at your pics again and was wondering if that 68" moose has the four brow tines on its left side, or is that one long raker not attached to the front paddle, and therefore not a brow tine?   
Anyone know?

Hawks Feather

This sure sounds like an awesome trip, except for the recoil from the .375.  But I am sure that if a moose or wolf shows up you won't notice the recoil all that much.

Jerry

coyote101

Quote from: Dave on September 01, 2012, 12:53:48 PM
Just looking at your pics again and was wondering if that 68" moose has the four brow tines on its left side, or is that one long raker not attached to the front paddle, and therefore not a brow tine?   
Anyone know?

Dave,

I believe that moose was a three X two, but am not certain. I'll ask Pete when I talk to him and let you know.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

coyote101

I checked with Pete, and that big bull was indeed a three X two.

Pat
NRA Life Member

kyfuzzyface

Good Luck Pat, that will make some good campfire stories @ LBL !!
Fuzzy

riverboss

Have a awsome trip Pat, i cant wait to see pics and read your storys good luck and stay safe.

FinsnFur

No doubt, I cant wait to see the pics and hear the stories either. :biggrin:
Stay safe Pat, and here's to wishing you the best of luck on the hunts. :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

That's awesome Pat. Good luck to you. Moose or no moose that is a dream hunt for sure! Have a safe trip and we all look forward to the pictures when you get back. Good luck with that wolf too...using hand calls I assume?

Steve

HaMeR

Oh boy Pat!! It's just a wakeup away now my Friend!!!!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hidehunter

Cant wait to see the pics!!  You will have a blast I'm sure.
Denver                                           

coyote101

I made it to Alaska yesterday. We're packed up and heading out tomorrow. Hunting starts Saturday. The adventure begins.

Pat
NRA Life Member

iahntr

I'm not gonna lie,, wished I was you right now Pat !  :biggrin:
Have a great one !!
Scott