Red pup short clip video

Started by snafu, May 12, 2013, 11:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

Click on the pic. Last yrs litter.

"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Good stuff. It's pretty amazing how "on guard" she remains, even with three toddlers circling her.
I can remember raising three toddlers at once, and there were times a was a dang basket case. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

She does have her eyes on everything, including the pups.  Seems like a pretty good mom.  I know a few that could take lessons from her.

Jerry

snafu

This is the 4th yr I have watched this female & her litters. She is quite observant, as you guys say. Last season she let me get around 30' away from her & the pups, pretty cool. I have noticed over the yrs. The female pups are more curious & brazen. Whereas the male pups are more shy, wary & skiddish.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: snafu on May 13, 2013, 07:00:35 AM
The female pups are more curious & brazen. Whereas the male pups are more shy, wary & skiddish.

I think that this is true with humans as well.   :alscalls:

Jerry

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

One day last yr I watching her & the litter. The female trotted deeper out into the field 70-80yrds or so. Dug down a little ways & pulled out a dried out mouse. When she brought it back to the pups. Two pups took it out of her mouth, tore it to pieces & chucked it down like they were starving. 

When a Red female is laid up in the den. The male will bring back his kills & leave it by the den entrance hole. Most of the time from what I've seen. The kill is a skunk. Other times a cat or coon. When the pups are small. Sometimes the female will also go out on short hunts nearby. She'll do that more often the older the pups get.

FinsnFur

Thats some interesting stuff.  :wo:
Ok...I've decided I want a better camera and a couple pasture dens to watch myself.
Hey Snafu...do you know Randy Buker? Very very good friend of mine. Almost like a Dad to me, lives in Minnesota, and has been studying fox just like you for quite some time.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

Yes Jim I know who he is. I've conversed with him in the past. Your right, he is well versed on the Reds. I slowed down my killing some yrs back. Et spent most of my hunt time observing & learning. I figure a hunter new or old. Can't learn much from a dead predator, eh.

FinsnFur

Yeah a lot of times watching them and learning their ways is a nice reward with a different type of shine.  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

Last time I did any amount of killing was season 03-04. I seen over 75 canines. Went after only 20 of them & killed 14. Since then I only try for a few each yr. I spend all of the rest of my time observing & learning. I must say, it has been enlightening on what I have missed over the previous yrs. This last season, my only focus was on killing me a puma. That is also my only focus until the day I no longer can hunt, kill one or check out, which ever.

FinsnFur

:laf: kill one or check out.
Thats a pretty short bucket list pal. I kinda want ya to hang out a little longer and keep sharing those pics. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

Your right Jim. That is the edited version. I left out the part about being old weak, toothless & feeble(can't hunt no more). Et being set out on the ice pack for the 1st hungry Polar Bear. Prior to me thumping a puma.

Okanagan

Quote from: snafu on May 13, 2013, 08:03:07 PM
. Et spent most of my hunt time observing & learning. I figure a hunter new or old. Can't learn much from a dead predator, eh.

Right on!  And amazing how few people pick up on the value of observing a critter for awhile rather than shoot at first sight.  Animals teach me when I watch them awhile-- and sometimes I go ahead and shoot one after watching it.  It makes me a way better hunter, sometimes waiting with confidence for a much better shot instead of hurrying a poor one, etc. I've learned a lot about coyote body language by watching, as well as body language of deer, cats and bears.  It has surprised a few people with me when I predict something a little unusual that an animal is going to do-- and they do it.  (Wish I could always do that  :laf: )   On the times I get it right it has come from watching animals and getting used to what their posture etc. indicates they are going to do.

snafu

Okanagan, one day when I was young. I snuck in on a coyote that was 1/2 mile from a roadway. The coyote was sleeping around 250 yards from me. I was laying prone with my crosshairs on him on a nearby hilltop. As I'm aiming at him. I hear a faint distant farm noise. I also see one of that coyote's ear rotate towards the same direction. I thought that was cool. So I watched awhile longer. I laid there a long time watching its ears rotate towards distant noises.

This coyote had its eyes shut, but its ears were turned on. Checking out distant sounds. I thought that was so cool. I shot underneath coyote rather than kill it.