• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Had to upgrade cameras

Started by FinsnFur, June 21, 2013, 10:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

I was beginning getting irritated with my current camera (Canon Powershot SD1400)
The dust on the image sensor, the low zoom (4x Optical)

I decided to splurge and ordered myself a Fathers Day Gift, and got me a Canon SX50HS. Which showed up this afternoon.

I really like this thing so far. It's the ultimate bridge camera, with it's 50X optical zoom. The highest powered zoom on any bridge camera available today.
And even the 200X digital zoom isnt as bad as one would expect it to be.
Tons of features, raw image capability, hot shoe, etc.
I havent had a whole lot of time yet to play with everything yet but here's a couple experiment shots with the zoom.

This one got a little fuzzed

I made a couple quick videos to show the zoom on this thing. It's incredible how it pulls this stuff in. Kinda tough without a tripod as you'll see but you get the jist of it.
Im really liking it so far.

50X optical

200X Digital
She got a little grainy at 200 and was pretty tough to hold still too. lol

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Nice pics & videos!! Diane wants a camera that she can change the lenses on for a bunch more zoom. 
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Dave

Holy Moly, that zoom is incredible.   :yoyo:
I can't believe how far away you were in that second video. 
The quality of the pics look awesome, too.  Wish you luck with it.

nailbender

Yup, that's a definite upgrade!

Hawks Feather

You are having WAY to much fun with that camera and you are just getting started.  In that first video if you look at the woman on the pontoon boat that passes through, she said, "That guy has a camera and is watching us."

Jerry

HuntnCarve

No Jerry, it's "That guy has a camera and he's stalking us!" :laf:
Very nice Jim!  The picture quality is exceptional. :congrats:

Dave

FinsnFur

I thought she said, "man that dude is HOT" :confused:

Found a Turkey Vulture near one of my fishing holes. First pic through the windshield turned out like I took it through a windshield or something :laf:
He musts been riddled with parasites cause he would not stop digging on himself.

Jerry...does this mean I'm becoming a bird watcher? :madd:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 22, 2013, 07:08:49 PM
I thought she said, "man that dude is HOT" :confused:
Jerry...does this mean I'm becoming a bird watcher? :madd:

Are you talking about the bird on the boat or the bird on the wire?

Jerry

FOsteology

The 1200mm zoom really makes it an interesting camera. I purchased one earlier this year, but unfortunately found the IQ and sharpness lacking (even mounted on a tripod with a cable release), so ended up sending it back for a refund.

Seems to be the luck of the draw, as I've seen some pictures on another forum taken with the Canon SX50HS that were quite nice.

I think the aperture of f/6.5 wide open is the Achilles heel.

Panasonic and Leica both have a similar bridge camera, but with f/2.8 throughout the range, but unfortunately the zoom is only half (600mm) of the Canon's. 

FinsnFur

Yeah the bird on the wire Jerry...the bird on the wire. :laf:

I read about some of those complaints in different reviews too Fos. I was up and down with the whole thing for a week before I took the plunge.  :laf: It was basically this one or the Panasonic Lumix, but the more research I did the more the masses leaned towards the Canon. Almost all of them claimed it lacked as far as low light capabilities though.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

MI VHNTR

You took some very nice pictures with your new camera. I'm looking forward to seeing many, many more.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

shaddragger

I received mine as a gift this April. It has to be the most functional yet user friendly point-and-shoot available. Not being terribly camera literate, it covers everything for me, and has WAY more functions than I can remember. I still refer to the user tip download constantly, but I absolutely love mine!
As far as low light, check out the Night shot feature, along with the green light reduction or use one of the custom settings and play with the white balance.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

FinsnFur

So you got one of these Shad~? :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

shaddragger

Sure do! I don't understand all that camera lingo, and this one does all the thinking for me once you put it on the right setting. I will say that the focus seems to struggle at full zoom, but I never have a tripod with me so hard to blame it on that. The user guide that is on the CD that came with it helped me a ton!

Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

FinsnFur

Full zoom is 200x digital and you dont really want to do that anyway if you can avoid it. There's a white line dividing your zoom bar and if you stop it there you'll be at the 50x Optical which is the performance maximum...for lack of better words.
Oh and nice gold fish pond :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers