• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Rifled Slug barrels vs. Rifled Choke Tubes?

Started by Bowhunter57, August 02, 2007, 03:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowhunter57

I'd like to purchase a cantalever rifled slug barrel for my Mossberg 500, but I'm wondering if a rifled choke tube will perform as well?

I need good accuracy out to 150 yards and I find it difficult to believe that a rifled choke tube could deliver such accuracy, compared to a rifled barrel.

Your opinions and experiences are appreicated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

Hawks Feather

I wish that I could help you, but I have only used rifled slugs in a smooth barrel and the rifled barrels.  Of these two, the rifled barrel is more accurate.

Jerry

cb223

I don't know first hand but I have heard that the choke tubes are quite accurate. But not as good as a fully rifled barrel with the right slugs.

A friend of mine put a Hastings heavy barrel on an 870 along with a good thumb hole stock. It will shoot an honest .750 group at a 100 yards! Not only did I witness this but I was the one doing the shooting. He told me (I didn't witness this) 2.5 at 200 yards! That is by far the most accurate slug gun that I have ever seen.
CHAD

Bowhunter57

Thank you, for the replies, gentlemen!

I think I'm going to stick with a fully rifled barrel.
Either a Hastings or a factory Mossberg cantalever, rifled with full camo.  :biggrin:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57