Main Menu

scope

Started by codfish, September 10, 2007, 12:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codfish

Can any one tell me what the simmons pro hunter scopes are like

Hawks Feather

codfish,

Simmons is a name that you will either hear "great scope" or "worthless scope".  With that being said I have had a couple of them that I just stuck on a .22 LR to see how the gun would shoot.  After sighting one in, I thought that I would check the adjustments.  I did the 15 clicks up - fired a couple of shots, 15 clicks right or left - fired a couple of shots, 15 clicks down - fired a couple of shots, and then 15 clicks back either right or left so that I should have been back on the zero.  It would have been close enough for groundhogs, but I don't think I would have hit the squirrel in the head.  So I think I got rid of all that I had.  I might still have one n a .22, but I am not really sure.

So, I guess it will depend on what some others have to say, but before I bought a new Simmons I would look at some used scopes.  So far all of the used scopes that I have bought have been good, and with that being said the next one might be a lemon. 

Jerry

bushmaster

I cut some corners last year and put a simmons on my AR.  I hold better groups with iron sights @100 than with that scope.  It didn't get along with my 10/22 either.  I think Its a mid-lo grade scope.  You get what you pay for.  Lately, I'm lookin into leupold.  I want something with low-light reticles.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

HaMeR

I used Simmons on rimfires but finally gave up on them & went to the Nikon lineup. $100 +/- will get you a nice 4x scope for squirrels up to deer at 150yds on a shotgun/muzzleloader. JMHO
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

codfish

How about the leupold rifleman scopes

HaMeR

I only know of 2 fellas with a Leu Rifleman & they are both very happy with them. Sorry,, thats all I got on this one. :shrug:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

MI VHNTR

IMHO, I would purchase a Bushnell Elite 3200 before I bought the Leupold Rifleman scope. The warranty is the same, but the Elite has better glass and the Rainguard coating. Prices are very close too.  MI VHNTR
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

codfish

I just purchased the bushnell ELITE 3200 WITH RAINGUARD SPECIAL EDITION FAST-FOCUS  · Special Edition Fast-Focus
Finish - M • Power - 3-9x40 Would this be good for my 30-06

Hawks Feather

codfish,

That is a good scope and I think you will like it.  Scope power preferences varies with shooters.  I have a 3 x 9 on my .270 and feel that it is plenty of power for shots that I would take, but then I have not hunted with it out west.  My longest shot with it was a groundhog about 200 yards and there was no problem with scope power.  There are some people with the short magnums that are taking some pretty long shots (longer than I would at least) and I would think that they have a little more power in their scope.

So, like I said in the beginning, you got a good scope and I think you will like it.

Jerry