• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Turkey

Started by fuzz624, February 08, 2008, 10:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzz624

Ok guys i have a question.I am going to try turkey hunting this spring for the first time.I am wondering about a good easy to use call.I have tried diaphram calls and just cant get the hang of them.So what suggestions do you guys have?Thanks

Fuzz

keekee

A good slate or box call will do the trick just fine. Also if you cant blow a mouth call and still want the latex sound, try a tube caller, they are cheap and have great sound.

Steve Cultor here on the board make a very fine slate calls and Dogwood creek make's some fine box calls as well. Or Geens Turkey calls he goes by Blacky here on FNF makes some great calls.

A good slate or box will run the mill and kill some birds for you!

Brent

KySongDog

The best box call I've ever used is a Lynch Foolproof turkey call.  I've had mine over 20+ years and it sounds as good today as it did way back then.  It's taken a whole bunch of turkeys! 

When I started out I listened to a Ben Lee tape to learn what different turkey calls sounded like.  Practice and get the rhythm down and you are good to go.  :eyebrow:

Semp

fuzz624

Thanks for the help guys.

Fuzz

Coulter

Hey, Thanks for the plug Brent. I just go by Coulter on forums though, the last name is Steffy. :biggrin:

Anyway, I make a 3" slate or glass and a 3.5" slate or glass. I kinda like the 3" better myself. I should be getting into the turkey calla gain real soon. I'll post some up when I get some done. Oh yeah, I make short ansd long boxes too...but only if I have to :iroll:

Steve

fuzz624

I dont think i have ever seen any of your turkey calls Steve.I would be interested in a 3" slate.Let me know when you get some done.
    Also guys,what is the best sound for locateing turkeys.I have had them gobble at alote of sounds,just wondering which one is best.

Fuzz

KySongDog

Just before light, I use a barred owl call with lots of emotion.

Semp

cb223

For locating I found that a coyote howler works the best.

As far as turkey calls..... I use a Dogwood creek box and a KEE's custom wing bone until they get close then I use a diaphragm call.

Last year I had great success with this combo. I called a nice gobbler for myself and a jake for my son.
CHAD

fuzz624

Thanks for all the info guys.That is why i love this board.Everyone is always willing to help each other. :highclap:

Fuzz

Silencer

You go out locating at night with a howler, dont be surprised if you fire up mr. coyote.  Happened numerous times to us, make sure you note where you're hearing him as well.

On a funny note, I had a bird located for a first time turkey hunter, as we got out of the car before daylight he slammed the door and shock gobbled em.   They was easy pickin that morning :)  All fired up and racing in !!!

HaMeR

This past spring was the 1st time I've heard them gobble at crows or an owl. Of course I've only been chasin them for about 5 years tho. On the other hand I have a howler that gets really high pitched & can get them to gobble at that. But still not all the time. Not much help here was I??  :confused:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

fuzz624

I know what you guys are talking about.I have had gobble at lots of sounds on my FP this year.I was just wondering which sound seams to work the best.I have had them answer a howl a few times but the one that seams to work the most in the pup distress.Why they answer to that,i have no clue but so far it is working.Thanks for all the advice guys.

Fuzz

HaMeR

:doh2:  My 1st Tom gobbled at a Hawk scream also. That was his undoing.  :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

Ooohh...Glens a "Silver Member" :bowingsmilie: :innocentwhistle:

I had them gobbling pretty good at my crow call last year. Here is the end result with my crow call and bloodwood shortbox :biggrin:

I called three birds in on opening day with my 3.5" slate, but decided not to end my season so quickly. I harvested the above bird the fourth week of the season. I guess I got my moneys worth :biggrin:

Fuzz...I'll shoot ya a PM when I get some slates finished up. It will probably be a week or two.

Steve

Silencer

Nice tom Steve, my best bird to date came in with hardly any calling at all.  I was huntin a high pressured area just after a night of rain and the morning was very foggy.  I set 3 hen dekes out, talked to the bird on the roost with some soft tree clucks then shut right up.  His hen herum lead him out to his death, they were all sorts of PO'ed at my dekes, circling and pecking at them and he followed them right out.   I have a bunch of pic's coming of some of my past birds, I think that one's in there.

HaMeR

I'm only a Silver member because the program can't differentiate between useful posts & BS.  :wink:  :laf: :laf:

Nice Tom you got there!! Those spurs are wicked.  :congrats: :congrats:

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

fuzz624

Steve,I look forward to hearing from you.I guess everyone needs at least 1 turkey call in the collection.Hopefully this will be the first of many.
      So just to recap.A good slate or box call will work well.Quite a few of you guys have killed nice birds,and i have killed none :madd: A gobbler will gobble at just about any noise,if he feels like it.Hammer is now a silver member because he talks alote of BS. :congrats:
     Honestly,to all you guys,thanks for all the help.I appreciate it.

Fuzz

KySongDog

Here's my top ten turkey huntin tips that positively work!

1. Don't move

2. Don't move

3. Don't move

4. Don't move

5. Don't move

6. Don't move

7. Don't move

8. Don't move

9. Don't call too much

10. Don't move

Killing a turkey ain't rocket science.  But trying to kill a 5 year old boss gobbler is pretty dayum close to rocket science.    :madd:   :biggrin: 

Semp

Coulter

QuoteHammer is now a silver member because he talks alote of BS.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:Yeah that sounds about right :roflmao:

Semp is right on the don't move part and the big boss Toms are a bit trickier to get to. But, there ain't nothing wrong with taking a jake for your first bird either. It is much easier to improve on that the next season :eyebrow:

Give a holler when the season rolls aroundif ya need any help. Until then, I have some calls that need to be made :wink:

Steve

HaMeR

I'm also the only one here that will admit to that too.  :roflmao:

Set in the shadows & don't move. If there are hens there & the gobbler won't respond because of them,,, then just piss the lead hen off & have her come look at your decoy real close. The ol boy will be right behind her.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11