• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

So Bad

Started by bootmud, March 31, 2008, 08:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bootmud

In the worst way I wanted to post this in the Spring Turkey Contest to see what kind of replies would show up. :laf: :laf: :laf:

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

HaMeR

That is a nice lookin bird.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

DirtyDog

Good looking bird.....I gotta ask though, what is that you shot that with.

FinsnFur

Is it an old pic or why didnt you? Other then it dont say Fins and Fur anywhere.

Your up to something :eyebrownod: :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bootmud

It was a fall bird from two years ago.  Shot it with a 22 Hornet.  Are there any states that allow rifles in the spring????  I didn't think there were. :confused:

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

FinsnFur

:shrug: Good question. Never Turkey hunted myself. But I've watched many through the 50mil. Barska and been awful tempted. :laf:

Ok......I had to go look before I hit the submit button here.
Not here. Says, by no other means other then shot gun or muzzle loader fired from the shoulder. :holdon:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

lol.. soon as I seen the rifle I knew.  Nice bird

HaMeR

It seems I read on another board that Arkansas or Alabama allowed rimfires but I don't remember for sure.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

BigB

Shotgun or bow only in the area that I hunt.  I've never heard of an area where rifle or rimfire was legal to take turkeys.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

nastygunz

Theres a few  places you can rifle hunt em, Florida for one I think:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
03-02-2008, 05:37 PM 
Len Backus 
Site Owner
Find Me on the Map    Join Date: May 2001

Florida Turkey Hunting Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better start brushing up on your turkey calling, because spring gobbler season's here. Whether you prefer to use a mouth call, box call, slate or any combination, March means it's time to start talkin' turkey.
One of the most coveted and sought-after game species in Florida is the Osceola turkey, also known as the Florida turkey. This unique bird is one of five subspecies of wild turkey in North America.
The Osceola lives only on the Florida peninsula and nowhere else in the world, making it extremely popular
with out-of-state hunters.
They're similar to the Eastern subspecies (found in the Panhandle) but tend to be a bit smaller and typically are darker with less white barring on the flight feathers of their wings.
The white bars on the Osceola are narrower, with an irregular, broken pattern, and don't extend to the feather shaft. It's the black bars of the Osceola that actually dominate
the feather. Similarly, secondary wing feathers also are darker. When the wings fold across the back, the whitish
triangular patch formed is less prominent on the Osceola. And, Osceola feathers show more iridescent green and red colors, with less bronze than the Eastern.
The National Wild Turkey Federation and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) recognize, in their respective turkey registry programs, any wild turkey
Outta' the
Woods
Last spring, Tony Young's daughter Cheyenne accompanied
him turkey hunting on family property, where they took a fine gobbler together. This season, the 9-year-old says she's ready to take her first bird, if her daddy can call one in for her.
harvested within or south of the counties of Dixie, Gilchrist, Alachua, Union, Bradford, Clay and Duval to be the Osceola subspecies. Eastern turkeys and crossbreeds are found north and west of those counties in the Panhandle.
The highly anticipated spring turkey season runs March 1 – April 6 in the South Hunting Zone and March 15 – April 20 in the Northwest and Central zones. The exception is Holmes County, where the season runs three days, March 15-17.
Hunters may take bearded turkeys and gobblers only, and the daily bag limit's one. The season and possession limit on turkeys is two, except in Holmes County, where the season limit's one.
Shotguns are the best choice when hunting turkeys, but if you're so inclined, you may use a rifle, muzzleloader or handgun,
or you can try your luck with a bow or crossbow

nastygunz

OKLAHOMA FALL TURKEY SEASON:
------------------------------------------------

Legal Means of Taking

Archery: Equipment described as legal for deer archery season, except that there is no minimum broadhead length required.

Rifle: Centerfire rifles, .22 magnum rimfire, 5mm magnum rimfire and .17 HMR are legal. All other rimfire rifles are illegal.

Muzzleloader: Muzzleloader rifles and handguns of .36 caliber or larger are legal.

Shotgun: Conventional or muzzleloading, using shot no larger than BB (.180 in. dia.) are legal.

Handgun: Centerfire, .22 magnum rimfire, 5mm magnum rimfire and .17 HMR are legal. All other rimfire handguns are illegal.

nastygunz

VIRGINIA:
-------------
Most birds were taken on private lands (90%) with the balance coming from federal (8%) or state-owned (2%) lands. Archers took 4% of the harvest in the early part of the archery season. During the firearms season, 52% of successful hunters took birds with a shotgun, 28% with a rifle, 14% with a muzzleloader and 2% used other weapons. Approximately 23% of the harvest was reported during the first week of the season. This was the highest weekly harvest reported in counties with the 6-week fall season. Following the first week, the harvest was generally uniform, ranging from 9 to 15% during the remaining 5 weeks of the season. Thirteen percent of the harvest came on Thanksgiving Day.

msmith

Quote from: bootmud on March 31, 2008, 09:33:41 PM
It was a fall bird from two years ago.  Shot it with a 22 Hornet.  Are there any states that allow rifles in the spring????  I didn't think there were. :confused:

bootmud

WV

Firearms and bows legal for hunting
wild turkey:
Wild turkey may be hunted with rifles, handguns,
muzzleloaders, shotguns, or bows (see exception for Youth
Spring Gobbler Season on page 29).
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

KySongDog

Rifles aren't legal for turkeys in Kentucky.  I'm not sure I would want to be in the woods if they were.  Turkey hunting can be dangerous even with shotguns.

Can ya imagine rifle deer hunting in full camo?   :shock2:

Semp

cb223

Turkey hunting with a RIFLE? I know it is legal in some states but seems that would make it pretty easy not to mention dangerous.

The challenge is calling them in shotgun range.
CHAD

msmith

Quote from: cb223 on April 03, 2008, 05:06:22 PM
Turkey hunting with a RIFLE? I know it is legal in some states but seems that would make it pretty easy not to mention dangerous.

Well, that is subjective. I feel that unless you are hunting fields exclusively, then it's harder, at least around here. For me, I would have to call them in close enough with a rifle to get a good shot, where with a shotgun, I am more apt to go ahead and take out a multiflora rose branch at 30 yds. Also, for a youth, small woman, or perhaps an old person that is very sensitive to recoil, a 22 mag would still let them hunt instead of getting hammered by even a 20g shotgun.

As far as being dangerous... while rifle hits are worse than shotgun hits, a shotgun hit is more probable. I beleive that that is because a rifle hit has to be more precise and because of that even a careless hunter is more likely to take more careful aim in stead of taking a "sound" shot. I hunt private property, so I generally feel pretty safe, but keep my eyes peeled when I hear a hen light up in my area.

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

KySongDog

Quote from: msmith on April 04, 2008, 07:08:24 AM
I hunt private property, so I generally feel pretty safe, but keep my eyes peeled when I hear a hen light up in my area.

Excellent advice.  I hunt private ground too but if I hear a hen, I look hard for a hunter.  I had a real close call once that I'll never forget.  Ya never know who might have slipped in on ya.

Semp

Silencer

One of the main problems with rifle hunting birds is the poachers that shoot from the vehicle.  They take ridiculously long shots out the window and end up hitting someone they didnt see.
There was quite a few deaths last year around the US during goose season where the poacher was shooting at a guys decoys.

cb223

Quote from: msmith on April 04, 2008, 07:08:24 AM
Quote from: cb223 on April 03, 2008, 05:06:22 PM

Well, that is subjective. I feel that unless you are hunting fields exclusively, then it's harder, at least around here. For me, I would have to call them in close enough with a rifle to get a good shot, where with a shotgun, I am more apt to go ahead and take out a multiflora rose branch at 30 yds. Also, for a youth, small woman, or perhaps an old person that is very sensitive to recoil, a 22 mag would still let them hunt instead of getting hammered by even a 20g shotgun.

As far as being dangerous... while rifle hits are worse than shotgun hits, a shotgun hit is more probable. I beleive that that is because a rifle hit has to be more precise and because of that even a careless hunter is more likely to take more careful aim in stead of taking a "sound" shot. I hunt private property, so I generally feel pretty safe, but keep my eyes peeled when I hear a hen light up in my area.

You make some valid points.
A youth or small framed person might be better off with a .22 mag. You are right, if that gets them in the woods hunting then it is a good thing.

As for me and the area I hunt a rifle even a rimfire would make it very easy. It not to tough to stalk within 100 yards of a turkey and I can make that shot almost every time. So for me personally, I don't want to use a rifle.

Don't take my comments the wrong way. If you or anyone else wants to use a rifle and it is legal, that is your choice. I'm not going to tell anyone how they have to hunt.
CHAD

msmith

Don't take my comments the wrong way. If you or anyone else wants to use a rifle and it is legal, that is your choice. I'm not going to tell anyone how they have to hunt.

THAT'S the bottom line right there. While my turkey gun is a Rem. 870 w/ smooth bore slug barrel and a .665 choke, I support the fact that people should be able to use what they want. Like I said, around here a rifle can be a handicap unless you ambush them in a field, but I really, really want to anchor one with my .36 cal flint lock. That would be a hoot.

Mike
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI