• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Mods for MT #3 regulars?

Started by Brad H, July 23, 2006, 12:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad H

Any ideas?

I'm no trapping or trap guru so I went with these to start off my trapping tenure because they were dubbed as one of the best out-of-the-box traps.

I'm quite impressed to say the least. I have a few old wore out Victors and Herters that someone just gave me that severely pale in comparison. The Montanas have good speed and come with fairly good pan tension. They're also easily centered swiveled.

If anyone has any tips on mods to improve on an already good design I'd like to hear'em.

Brad

FinsnFur

I'm not much of a trapping Guru either Brad...I'm just the fur guy :biggrin: But my brother has been trapping since before he was a teen.

I'm not sure If I can get him over here or not. What kind of mods are you looking to do?
He brings a lot of traps to me each year and has me weld laminates on the jaws for him.
I also know that the speed and tension can be modified on most with simple spring replacements. But is a rebuild cheaper then a replacement?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Brad H

That's alright. I didn't expect a quick answer. Thought this could sit here till the right guy caught wind of it.

I'm wondering how they add tension to these dogless traps. I think I could nightlatch it but there's really no need, when that pan moves at all the jaws are shut.

There doesn't seem to be any need to add coil springs. I bet it would still be faster and stronger than the old wore out traps 4 coiled. I may try something laminated next year just to have some kind of comparison.

More curious than anything.

Brad

canine

Brad..Have you ever been to trapperman.com ? If not, there are some of the best trappers in the country that hang out there and could help ya. I haven't trapped for 6 years now and have never seen one of the MT #3's before.

Alway's liked my victors and sleepy creeks.

JD

Brad H

JD,
You would not believe how much time I've spent there in the last 6 months. I probably only have 10 posts there. I've mostly been reading and paying attention. CRU too. I've pretty much tore the arcives apart. LOL
That is a good option for this question in time but I've been plenty busy just reading what comes up over there. It baffles me how many people are always online over there.

Sleepy Creeks and Bridgers are options for next year. I want to mix it up as well as I can to form opinions an what works and what doesn't here.

Brad

OKTrap

Som Mods to think of: Inside and or outside laminations on the jaws, Base plate with "D" ring, 4 coil kits, shock springs, change out the chain to stright link, put inline swivels in the chain.

But the new Best Out Of Box trap, is the KB 5.5 Compound. It comes with everything and ready to use with the exception of wax and dye.

You can view one here:

KB 5.5 Compound

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Brad H

I just read about those traps somewhere. I like the design idea that the jaws tighten as the chain is stressed.

It looks like quite the bulldog too.

I may pick a few up toward the end of September to play with.

Thanks,
Brad

Jrbhunter

Brad, the best advice I can give you personally is already typed up in that thread on Midwest... "Trap Modifications" I believe.   I would also suggest sticking around CRU- as you know there are some real slick trappers there... many of whom I've been fortunate enough to walk a line with here in the Midwest.  Coyote trapping is much like coyote calling, it's an art of miniature differences that set us apart.

On the Montanna itself I would strongly suggest a laminate job.  Especially on the inside jaws!  Somehow, the dogless style trap is very rough on the ankles via the inside of the jaws.  I have seen a few coyotes in person that had nearly bled themselves out- the phemoral artery and achielies tendon are severed by those sharp edges somehow!   Looking at the trap- you wouldn't think it would do that much damage... but somewhat consistantly, it causes problems.

If you're not live market trapping (which I doubt you are in MT) then it may not be a big deal to you... but something tells me if you saw one of those coyotes in a red catch circle you'd be wanting to tweak the traps yourself.

I use the Bridger #3's fully modified, you can't go wrong with a big trap all decked out- good luck, looking forward to pics of those disgustingly well furred MT Coyotes!!! :)

Brad H

Thanks for the advice Jason. I've read opinions going every direction on every type of mod. So far yours might be the most reasonable (and or understandable) and descriptive.

I'll see what I can do to add to the insides. They shouldn't be too hard to make. Finding premade lam kits for the Montanas may prove to be futile.

Brad

Jerry Hunsley

Brad, I bought a dozen Montana #3 dogless fully modified and laminated traps and I absolutely hated them from the start. I couldn't get the jaws to lay flat was the main problem. I ended up giving them to a good friend of mine. I guess you can adjust them by sticking a screw driver under the pan and prying up a little bit. That is what a ADC man told me. The best trap out there for coyotes in my opinion is the Sterling but you pay dearly for them. I like the Bridger #3 modified and laminated offset traps myself.