• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Anybody have reviews or coments on New England Single Shot Rifles?

Started by sdLBLhunter, December 26, 2006, 05:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdLBLhunter

I'm looking to get an inexpensive rifle to do a little yote and other predator hunting w/, and I've found a new New England Single Shot in 22-250 w/ a 3-9 power 50mm scope for 300 new.  Anybody ever used these, pros and cons?  Let me know, I'm clueless when it comes to rifles!!

Roundman

I don't have a centerfire but I do own a .22mag. I had problems with mine misfiring when I first bought it. I sent it back and I think the hammer spring was replaced. I have now put a couple of hundred rounds through it with no problems. I think for the money it's a great buy. I think the only con is the weight of the centerfire rifles they seem a little heavy to me. Just my opinion.
Mike

keekee

I bought the NEF in .223 for my son when they first came out. Good little rifles. They shoot good, I haven't had any trouble out of this one. Make sure you clean the grease and oil off the ejector area or the shells will hang when you break it down. And they don't like cheap shells like Wolf, and others.

All and all its been a good little rifle. One draw back is that its a single shot. But thats what I wanted for him, he knows he has one shot and he better aim!

Brent

centerfire_223

I'm with Brent, I bought my son a .223 youth model. Right out of the package shooting 1 inch groups. We have only run about 40 rounds through it but so far so good. For the money you can't beat it.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

sdLBLhunter

How are they on long range accuracy?  I'm looking at the 22-250 for shots up to and possibly beyond 300 yards.....We have some extremely flat land out here where I'm from so those coyotes are wily:)

CrossJ

First I want to say that I own a H&R with a 243 and a 223 barrel. I bought this set up for my son to hunt with the same as Brent. I liked the idea of a single shot for my sons first rifle. It is a great gun for what it is. As for a long range gun, there are better. If you have one that shoots 1" or better, it is the exception. Not knocking the rifle, I have been very pleased with the one I have for its particular application. Maintain, Geordie

keekee

I wont let Dillon shoot past 100 yards, anything further than that and I shoot. He hasn't reached the point were I feel he can make them shots yet. We are working on some range work, but he has a ways to go, but here were I am not many shots over 100 yards anyway. Average is less than 50.

The 22-250 will shoot falter than the .223 no doubt. I just used the reference of the .223 because thats what I bought for him, I have never shot a NEF in 22-250. If it shoots like the .223 I bought it should be a great gun for the price.

Brent

Kydogduster

The Handi's are good rifles for the money.  I have a 223 Ultra Varmint that shoots great.  Had a standard 223 the shot real good, and I have a 270 that is a deer killing machine.  The 270 shoots 2" at 200yds.  Not varmint accuracy, but great for deer.  The Handi's need a trigger job and there are a few other little things that I do to them to make them shoot.  The Marlin website had a forum for NEF products.  Lots of good info there. 

fuzz624

Great little rifle for the money.I had one in 223 with heavy barrel.It took alote of groundhogs out past 200 yards.The one that i had needed some trigger work,but other than that it was a great little rifle.

fuzz624

You might also want to check out the Rossi rifles.I have one in 243 with heavy barrel.It shoots great and was really cheap.I gave 189.00 for it new.It shoots about 1 in groups with factory winchester 80 grain.With my handloads 65 grain v-max,it shoots just under 3/4in groups.It would probally do a little better if i took the time to work up a good load.The trigger in it is alote better than the NEF that i had.It was a great little rifle for the $ that i spent.