• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Saturday Morning

Started by JohnP, January 30, 2010, 03:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotehunter_1

Nice cat !!  :congrats: I hope you get to feeling better, John.

As for the 788... it's a shame Remington quit making them. Tough & accurate rifles they are.   
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

vvarmitr

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on February 02, 2010, 03:14:36 PM
Debated on buying a new rifle of having it rebarelled.
Rebarrel for sure! :thumb2:

You can even change the chambering to something else. :biggrin: 
The 250 & 308 family bolt face are interchangeable so you could go w/ a 22 CHeetah  (Hoooo baby!)  or a 6mmBR :biggrin:  or even get nostalgic & make it a 250-3000 aka 250Savage. :eyebrow:

That is just to name a few.

Jimmie in Ky

Nah, all those new fangled calibers do not interest me. If I do it , I will stick wihtthe 22-250 it came in. I have a barell that could be rechamberd for it, but one of the mid contour barrels sound real good to me. Wanted to keep her as original as possible but that time has come to a hault if I want to keep packing her. Pet and babe have been with me a lot longer than I care to tell . Jimmie

vvarmitr

Ahhh, you ol' stick in the mud.  :nono:

There is another option & it may be right up your alley dirt lane. :innocentwhistle:

A lot of barrel trouble is from throat erosion.  If you have a competent gunsmith he can scope your bore, measure the erosion, trim that much off the barrel, rethread it, & screw 'er back on. :wink:
While he has it off have him check the crown too. :wink:

Then again he may just scope it & see it needs a "professional" cleaning. :huh:  :whew:

Jimmie in Ky

Nope , she's  burnt out. I had thought about that option too. Although I could take this reemington barrel I have and have it bobbed 2 inches and chambered for the 250. Lighten up a tad and make it just a tiny bit stiffer without a lot of loss in speed. It's sort of funny how there are remington barrels just about laying arround evrywhere around here. Why folks change them out before their time is beyond me. I guess they like to tinker.  :wink: Jimmie