• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Dead End Tracks

Started by weedwalker, January 10, 2011, 05:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Way cool Ed.  Looking at that first pic makes me think you need to shoo them away before you sit too :laf: :laf:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Quote from: weedwalker on January 11, 2011, 06:03:07 AM
It had been 2 days since the snow. There are a lot of coyotes in there. But they get called to a LOT. I think they've heard every screaming rabbit sound on e-callers and hand calls that there is. Besides me there are 3 or 4 other guys that hunt it and one of those guys would hunt it 2 or 3 times a week for a while. The coyotes got to where they wouldn't respond to anything.
So I tried a different approach. I took my shotgun and hunted tight to thick cover using VERY light calling with only lip squeaks, coaxer calls, and a squeaker bulb. Both of them came in to the squeaker bulb.

Good savvy hunting!  You are smarter than the other hunters... and smarter than the coyotes!   :congrats:

weedwalker

I went over that way again this morning. Another piece of property about a 1 1/2 mile on down the road. I tried the light calling like I did yesterday. On my 3rd stand I was sitting on a bank with a fairly wide open creek bottom just below me, and in front of me a thick, bushy, grown up bench about 50 yds wide with a lot of game tracks thru it. I set up watching the bench ahead and started lip squeaking. After only a couple minutes I heard the ice crak in the creek below me to my left. I look down and a coyote is already slowly walking away from me. So I don't know how close he might have been. He was about 50 yds out, a stretch for the shotgun. I shot him and knocked him down, then he jumped up running dragging his right front leg. I was tracking him in the snow and at 1st he was bleeding pretty good. But after about 300 yds the blood quit. I kept following his tracks thru the thickest crap he could find to go thru. I found 1 spot where he took a break for a minute and the snow coming down was already starting to cover it up. (Pic below)  He then he went over the hill to another property where I can't go. So I had to give up after following him about 3/4 of a mile.  :madd:
I haven't called in a coyote on those farms in the last 4 or 5 months using standard techniques. But using very light calling I've called in 3 in 2 days. Maybe there's something to it? :wo:

pitw

Ed I'm guessing it's got more to do with magnetization :laf: :laf:.  Actually I believe your probably right that by changing it up your giving them something new to investigate. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

HaMeR

That sucks when you can't find em after a hard hit.  :rolleye:  On the other hand you're out & exploring new ideas that seem to be working for you.

I can here the conversation between you & yourself right now.

Ed-- He's too far!! Dang it!!
Ed-- No he's not!! SHOOT!!!!
Ed-- He's too far I said!!!!
Ed-- NO HE'S  BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

weedwalker

You about nailed my conversation with myself HaMeR. :alscalls: I needed my rifle today instead of the shotgun. I didn't expect anything to come in thru the wide open creek bottom.

HaMeR

:alscalls:  It's good to know me & myself aren't the only ones that have those!!  :laf: :laf:  I'll have one of my rifles when I go back there too.  :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyotehunter_1

Ed, way to go, you sure make it look easy.  :congrats:  :biggrin:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

possumal

Big Ed, I have argued over and over with some of the guys that too much volume can be a bad thing, especially when there is no foliage and it is good and cold.  I believe they catch on quick to those 100 lb. critter sounds, especially when the ecaller is turned on and left on.  A lot of guys kill coyotes with that technique, but it never did work for me around Kentucky.  Maybe our coyotes are a bit smarter but I'll vote for realism every time.  Keep after them, big fellow.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Frogman

Ed,

WTG!  Good story and pictures! 

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!