• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Snake season

Started by bigben, May 31, 2013, 11:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

That's crazy Ben!  :sad3: Thanks for posting.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bigben

Im not gonna lie to ya it took me 6 mins to get him to do that but this seems to be the less dangerous way for both the snake and handler.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

KySongDog

Great video, Ben!   Thanks for posting that.   It looked like it was really wanting to turn around and come back out of that tube.   

bigben

Hes not small enough to turn around to come out. But you can see hes opening his mouth.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bigben

Well i killed and skinned him tonight. I plan on tanning him next week.

FinsnFur

What kind of tan do you use?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 26, 2013, 10:03:34 PM
What kind of tan do you use?

I'm guessing the stuff they use on "GOOD" snakes Jim. Well now that he's a "GOOD" snake that is.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

I still felt I was a little too close to that critter while I watched that video. Thanks for sharing Ben!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

50/50 glycerin and denatured alchol

Did you ever tan a snake

FinsnFur

Im with Glenn, the video just reminded me of how much I do not want to be around these things. :sad3:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

You havent tanned one before jim?  I was going to buy a tanning kit but have heard the solution i posted works well

FinsnFur

Nope never did get into amphibians or reptiles. The chemicals and process is completely different then fur bearers.
I think your methanol and glycerin method will work, put it on once a day for like four days, but it's not really tanning the skin, it's simply curing it so it doesnt decay. Which would be alright for a wall hanger or something if you kept it out of the sun.
If you want to make something out of it, you should tan it though. Then it'll be converted to a leather, be pliable and last.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

See thats te thing. This rattler is going to be put on a piece of felt with a picture hanging close by but the copperhead i want to make a hat band out of it. So do you happen to know of a tanning solution to tan it?

Hawks Feather

Thanks for the video of the tube snake.  (That just sounds bad, doesn't it?)  I wondered how you would convince a snake to stick his head in an enclosed area like that.  (That sounds all most as bad.)  Now that my curiosity has been satisfied I will continue to NOT want to put a snake in a tube.  (That isn't really true for a particular snake and tube.)

Jerry

bigben

Dave

Quote from: Hawks Feather on June 28, 2013, 11:52:32 AM
Thanks for the video of the tube snake.  (That just sounds bad, doesn't it?) 
It sure does!   :alscalls:  :alscalls:

FinsnFur

Quote from: bigben on June 28, 2013, 10:30:28 AM
See thats te thing. This rattler is going to be put on a piece of felt with a picture hanging close by but the copperhead i want to make a hat band out of it. So do you happen to know of a tanning solution to tan it?

Well, having never done a snake, I'm going to go with my gut and recommend Rittel's.
When I was in business I bought every chemical I ever used right from Bruce Rittel in Taunton Massachusetts. Founder and Owner of Rittels Tanning Supplies. He eventually began selling his products through large taxidermy outfits, like McKenzie, Van Dykes, Wasco, etc.
And I've been told he sold out years later to Rhineharts, which is a taxidermy supply and school.
Here's a link to the kit they have posted;
http://www.taxidermyarts.com/p-3055-snakeskin-tanning-kit.aspx
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

Quote from: Hawks Feather on June 28, 2013, 11:52:32 AM
Thanks for the video of the tube snake.  (That just sounds bad, doesn't it?)  I wondered how you would convince a snake to stick his head in an enclosed area like that.  (That sounds all most as bad.)  Now that my curiosity has been satisfied I will continue to NOT want to put a snake in a tube.  (That isn't really true for a particular snake and tube.)

Jerry

:alscalls:   :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls: