• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Snake season

Started by bigben, May 31, 2013, 11:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Snake season is coming next weekend. But i went up the mountian a month ago and found the den. 20 rattle snakes all within a 20ft circle had the adreniline pumping. Found a big rat snake as well

Big rat snake. Im 6ft tall so you can compare.

The biggest timber i seen a month ago. When he stretched out on the rocks he was easily a legal male. Foud a big yellow phase too.

And a little baby timber. He was prob only a foot and a half long.

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Dave

Damn! 
Snake season?  What is that about? 

gravesco hunter

If it is poisonous it is snake season any day around here

FinsnFur

Ewww  :sad3:  The further away from those things the better I am

:sick2:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

Quote from: Dave on May 31, 2013, 03:51:30 PM
Damn! 
Snake season?  What is that about?

There is actually a snake season in pa for poisonous snakes. It starts next saturday and goes till end of july.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bigben

This past weekend was the opener. A bit soggy but we still ended up finding some. My cousin jason also tagged this 49" 3lb 8oz black phase.

This is another just barely legal snake we found.

HaMeR

Look Ben. I really like ya & I think you're a knowledgeable & upstanding young man. Well up until you actually go looking for these critters. Then I think "WTF is going thru his mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  :alscalls: :alscalls:

I think it's cool you guys hunt those critters. Just don't ask me to go along with ya!! Nice catch you guys got there.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

What do you do with the ones that you catch?  Are they sold live for some reason or eaten?

Jerry

bigben

Actually i started doing this as a bucket list sort of thing. I had never see one out in the wild till i went looking for them. They are elisive critters and a interesting one at that. I also had a lull in my hunting seasons. Snakes filled the gap.  Snakes are misunderstood and even though they are dangerous so is a lot of other things.

Once found we typically hande them in a safe manner then depending on if its legal you can keep it or just leave it go. We were in an organized hunt this past weekend. The one my cousin caught we turned in alive. The weighed measured it and put a micro chip in it. I believe he plans on getting it mounted tho but the idea is to set em loose at the same place ya caught em. Then in coming years the chip will tell em a bunch of information. Mostly i do it to get out and have fun. Call me crazy but its and interesting sport.

FinsnFur

Quote from: bigben on June 10, 2013, 01:12:55 PM
They weighed, measured it and put a micro chip in it. Then in coming years the chip will tell em a bunch of information.

A bunch of information like, "stay the heck away from this area" :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

Kinda. Lol. They will record the weight length and location. Then if its caught again they can tell how big its got since its last capture. To be honest i had never seen a rattler till i looked for em. I do have couple goals this year.  I would like to find the den site close to my uncles house. Hehas pregnant females at his house for the last couple years now basking. I have been told they will not travel further then 200 yds from the den site. So i got some looking to do.

FinsnFur

That tells me to stay a minimum of 400 yards from the house  :whew:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Jeb

Leave it go ? Is that the same as let it go ? Either way your nuts ! Wouldn't it make more sense to just shoot the damn things ???Son you keep playing with dodo and you WILL get it on you. Always did enjoyed reading about your predator hunts.

bigben

I don't hunt them like those idiots from rattlesnake republic.

Dave

Ben, aren't you around the Harrisburg area?  And would they be along where the Appalachian trail passes through there?  My nephew caught one years back behind his house where the trail goes through Wind Gap.  I don't mind snakes, as long as they're not poisonous.  But I think I'll stay away from your area - and certainly wouldn't go looking for them .  Reminds me of Jaws, when they need a bigger boat! (And you're like the mayor - "Everyone - it's safe to go in the water!!!")    :noway:

bigben

I am in harrisburg area.
Im not sayin it isn't dangerous.  Its not any different then skydiving or bungee jumping or rock climbing. I can at least see the danger here and I'm not trusting a rope or some inanimate piece of material with my life. Those idiots on rattlesnake republic. The way they handle em its surprising they dont get bit more often. .

bigben

I went up to my uncles house and he told me he seen one the other day down under some tarps. I picked a few up with the tongs and found this guy paying on top of an old engine block

coyotehunter_1

Beautiful specimen!  Eastern timber rattler?

:laf: I'd like to see the "American Picker" show when they lifted that tarp.  :sad3: :sick2:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

nailbender

Love to have one of those skins for the wall to go with my prairie rattler!

FinsnFur

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on June 11, 2013, 08:49:22 PM
Beautiful specimen!  Eastern timber rattler?

:laf: I'd like to see the "American Picker" show when they lifted that tarp.  :sad3: :sick2:

They woulda dropped the tarp in a hurry Chet...thats a Chevrolet block :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers