• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Porcupine Quills?

Started by FinsnFur, December 11, 2009, 09:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

As not to hijack the other thread where this was mentioned...Slag I'm dying to hear about these quill fishing hooks.
Come clean  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Not fishing hooks its used as a bobber bobber, or to be more accurate a strike indiacator

Just use the quill as a bobber. tie it off to one end using a whip knot and you got a little tip up type of bobber. when the fish strikes the quill will tip up and go down. You know like a bobber. We used them when fishing for blue gills when I was a kid. Little bitty hook no sinker and the worm from out of a golden rod ball.  You know a ball that forms on a golden rod when a worm starts growing in it. If the ball dont have a hole in it then the worm is still there. cut him out carefully and put him on your tinny hook. drop it into the hole with your quill bobber and you should be able to figure it out from there. Poor people had poor ways. If you had given me a tip up I would have just given you a funny look while tying on a quill.

You cant tell me I am the only one that has used this. I was shown how to do this by my dad and I know he learned to do it form his dad. the kids that went fishing with me used to do it as well. I just find it hard to belive that no one has ever done this with american porcupine quills.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Well that is very interesting, ...and witty. I like it.
In a side note and in my own defense...there aint, I say there aint no porcupines here. :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

slagmaker

We were able to buy the quils in a bundle. the bundel was the size of a half dollar or there abouts. Bunch of quills in there and it was like a nickel for a bundel. I havnt seen them sold like that other than a bead supply house for a long time. We got them from a tackle shop that has been closed sense before I found out what that other thing is ya do with your penis.

FinsnFur

Quote from: slagmaker on December 11, 2009, 11:59:10 PM

We got them from a tackle shop that has been closed sense before I found out what that other thing is ya do with your penis.

:roflmao: :nono: I had to read it a couple times, but she finally clicked. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

slagmaker

Yeah that tackel shops been closed a long time.  :shrug:  Used to be able to get all kinds of stuff there. Homeade stink bait that he seasoned out back in a half buried 55 gallon drum. It gave the place a really un-cool smell. He had fishing gear that I swear Noah used on the ark. A old rusty watering trough with window screen dividers in it that he used for the live baits. Coke cooler on the front porch you know the klind you liift the lid and put your 15 cents in then slide the bottle along the rack so you could get it out. People stopping by with there catch to show it off. Firearms sitting right there on a rack in front of the counter so anyone could look at them. Dad giving me the money so he could stay in the truck while I ran in and bought the ammmo for rabbit hunting. I can remember when he got in one of those fancy electronical fish detector finder thingys. it was the highlight of a lot of peoples month. Especially when he found out you can take the transcever and aim it at the road and when a cop car goes by that had radar you could make the radar gun smoke.

you have brought back some good and some not so good memories.

pitw

Sounded like a pretty good place to have been slag.  Never had a bait shop to go in so thanks for stirring my imagination.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Berry, you ARE a bait shop. Constantly baiting us with something :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

slagmaker

Yeah it was a short period in my life but it did leave some lasting memories. both good and bad.

ya now there wernt any pictures on the walls of peoples catches and stuff. If ya wanted to brag ya had to show up and do it yourself. Biggest catfish I have ever seen in my life was right there in front of that shop. First time I ever saw two drunks get into a knock down drag out was right there as well. LOL it was a husband and wife. Last time I got to go fishing with my grandpa we got the bait from there. Wish I hadnt rememberd that last one. I miss my grandpa.

Jimmie in Ky

Yep , Slag , I have done that with quills and weed worms.  I also have used catalpa worms on catfish. Haven't seen those in quite some time either. Need to get me a couple of trees and fertilize the heck out of them.  :biggrin: Jimmie

slagmaker

I havent seen a catalpa worm in a long time. Dont have to many catalpa trees around here tho. Now at my dads!!!! Man there be tons of those green and black bits of catfish candy.

other than catalpa worms why anyone would want to grow one of them trees is beyond me. If there was ever a tree that was a weed the Catalpa would be it.