• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Another Redbird Hunt

Started by weedwalker, January 09, 2010, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

I just happened to get Friday off at the last minute. Well, the 1st thing that come to mind was hunting Redbird. Mostly because I was working there when I found out I was going to be off. I had spoke to Linemansteve a few days earlier and we kinda wanted to squeeze in a hunt together so I gave him a call. It turned out he had Friday off too.
So we get to Redbird about a 1/2 hour after sunrise and sit down for our 1st stand. After about 10 minutes of jackrabbit distress a coyote comes in about 80 yds from me. I'm lookin at it thru the scope and getting ready to shoot. My big azz gloves touched the trigger off before I was ready. :madd:
On our 3rd or 4th stand, we're playin the jackrabbit blues again on the CS-24. A small bobcat ran down thru the brush but we didn't shoot it. A few minutes later, 2 coyotes are coming up the hill towards us. I took a shot at the lead yote at 106yds. I blew some fur off of it. I tracked it about 100 yds down the steep brushy slope but only found a little blood and gave up on it.
Then on our last stand, playing the bunny blues again, a coyote comes around Linemansteve's side of the hill. I hear him shoot, then the unmistakeable splat of a hit. He climbs down the hill to get the yote and it's sitting there looking at him. It took 2 shots to the head to put that thing down finally.

I was supposed to hunt Saturday with another freind at home. But driving home Friday evening he called and cancelled. So Linemansteve and I decided to hit Redbird again today.
The 1st stand was dry. On our 2nd stand, we had the bunny blues going again. A coyote stepped out on my side about 150 yds out. He caught our scent where we walked in and was gone in a flash.
3rd stand was dry. On the 4th stand, we had been playing jackrabbit distress again with no luck. After about 25 minutes I switched to coyote pup distress and this female came running in to about 10 yds from the caller. I was about 75 yds away and dropped her in her tracks.

We moved about 400 yds to another set a couple ridges down the road and set up. I started the jackrabbit blues again and in just a couple minutes I hear Linemansteve shoot. Then shoot again. And then shoot again. After a minute I walked over to see what's going on. He had shot one at 250 yds out but it had crawled off into the brush. He tracked it about 400 yds and caught up with it. One more shot finised it off.

Not a bad hunt for Redbird.

kyfuzzyface

Congrats Ed to you and Linemansteve some nice looking yotes
Fuzzy

slagmaker

better than my last hunt. Congrats on the fur!!!!! Nice pics and write up.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

coyotehunter_1

:congrats: From the sound of it you all had a great time and found a few coyotes too.  :highclap:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

coyote101

Way to go Ed and Steve.  :yoyo: :yoyo: Looks like you guys had a great time.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

iahntr

Dang right  :yoyo:
I don't have that much activity in a year.  :nono:
Nice job, Thanks for sharin.
Scott

Yotehntr

:yoyo: Heck ya!  Great job guys!  :yoyo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

CCP

WTG  :yoyo: :yoyo: :highclap:

Nice looking coyotes and sounds like a hell of a good time. Ed glad to see you finally get some time off close to home and get out there and hunt.

I couldn't help but notice you and Steve got alot more snow in your hair since the last hunt at Redbird. :laf:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

alscalls

WTG!!!!!!!!     Sounds like fun!!!!!   Sure is a bunch of dogs down there.......... :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

securpro

WTG guys ! :yoyo: :yoyo: I havn't been to Redbird yet, I'm gonna have to check it out..... :biggrin:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

pitw

Sounded like a right entertaining day.  Good going on the going and good shooting too.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

WTG, Ed and Steve.   :yoyo:   Great pics and story.    :congrats:

FinsnFur

Yeah thats just plain ole showing off right there :yoyo:
Wow, what a busy day.

And you guys didnt enter the BigB contest because?.....
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bills Custom Calls

Ed when we hunted Redbird you didn't take me to those honey spots did ya  :laf:  Joking with ya Ed

Looks like you and Steve had a wonderful time Congrats on the Coyotes  :yoyo: :yoyo: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

HaMeR

Steve took me to one of those good spots Bill!!  :laf: :laf:

Way to go guys!! I think Steve is the coyote magnet.  :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

HuntnCarve

Very nice guys!  Glad you could get some time to go out hunting Ed. :congrats:

linemansteve

I would like to thank you for the replies. Ed and myself have been trying to set a time to hunt together. We had a really good hunt and swapping stories,Ed's a great guy to hunt with and to get to know. Both days we where hunting we could not believe we where not seeing anyone or hearing anyone else calling. I am looking forward to hunting with Ed again and if you are in the area give me a call and we will see if we can do some stands together. I know both Ed and myself are looking forward to th LBL to hunt and meet up with everyone.  Thanks Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

pitw

Quote from: linemansteve on January 10, 2010, 12:07:41 PM
  or hearing anyone else calling.

You telling me that you guys actually here others call while you are out hunting :shock2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

SCcoyotehunter

weedwalker

I'd like to thank you all too. I had a blast hunting with Steve. He's a fun guy to hunt with. And I'll be looking forward to when we can hunt together again. Thanks Steve. :yoyo:
Barry, once in a while you will run into another coyote hunter, but not very often. Eastern Kentucky has hundreds of thousands of acres of public hunting areas. You can stand on top of a mountain, look around, and as far as you can see in any direction is open to hunting.