• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I filled my cat tag

Started by bigben, January 17, 2010, 03:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

This is a repost from two other sites but I wanted to let the fellas at finsandfur what I have been chasin over the last few weeks.

I started north sat morning around 4 and got to the happy hunting grounds at daybreak.  I started out at a location that a friend tipped me on.  I made a few stands and found some cat sign.  at around 11 I turned even further north to see if there was any sign at another location.  I found some but not as good as what I seen in the morning.  So I had enough time to head south to get a few stands in before dark.

Atleast so I thought.  I ended up getting stuck numerous times as the sun beat on the roads it melted em just enough to be a pain in the side.  After making it down out of the mountain I made it to where I was in the morning and had just enough time for a short daylight stand.  I called for 15 minutes till it was too dark to see.  I walked back to the truck and grabbed the light.  I wanted to make a few stands and then take a break and then do a few more before heading home.  I wanted to make the most out of this trip.

I setup in front of a dirt pile and was watching a pine tree line of some of the thickest country I have ever called.  I turned on the foxpro to screaming jay and made two sweeps of the light.  There they were.  A set of burning red eyes looking at me from the cover of trees.  I followed the set of eyes threw the trees.  I had to get him to stop soon because the truck was soon approaching to be between us.  I twisted the power up on my scope and made the id.  At the crack of the gun I imagined that I heard the solid thump of a bullet finding its mark but I wasn't sure of the hit.

I had a good mark so I walked over and checked the spot.  A few drops of blood and paw prints.  I called my friend who tipped me of the spot and asked if he could come up and help me track it.  After about an hour we took up the trail.  With fresh snow on the ground it was easy to follow the cat.  I was starting to loose confidence as I followed the diminishing blood trail.  The trail went under a group of trees and I looked with my light but didn't find no hide piled up close by.  I walked around that clump of trees and found blood again.  I looked to my right and there he was laying.

It is a 30 lb tom cat.  It was a 100 yd shot and the cat traveled about 100 yds before he finally collapsed. 

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

weedwalker

Very nice looking cat Ben. :yoyo: Congradulations. :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

FinsnFur

:yoyo: Kudos man, that thing is huge!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

SCcoyotehunter

Bills Custom Calls

Good Job Ben  :congrats: Nice cat
Ya gonna get him mounted
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

bigben

well at the present time I am going to take him to a local tannery and get him to skin it and tan it so that down the road I can get it mounted.  dads cat was almost 800 bucks to get mounted.  which is a serious chunk of change.  I plan on getting the skull cleaned.  eventually it will get mounted but until I find a suitable taxidermist I don't want to rush the job. if ya know what I mean.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Todd Rahm

coyotehunter_1

Ben...  :congrats:

That big ol' tom has some serious spots, beautiful pelt.
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

iahntr

Congratulations Ben !!  :congrats: :congrats:
and it's a beauty at that !   :yoyo:
Scott

alscalls

Thats a BIG cat right there!!!!  WTG Ben!   :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:   
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

KySongDog

Perseverance pays!  Way to hang in there, Ben!  Congratulations on a fine cat.    :congrats:

HuntnCarve

Congrats on your bobcat Ben! :congrats:

pitw

That's a good story and a nice ending for it Ben.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Coulter

Way to go Ben...nice Tom! What caliber did you take 'em with?

Steve

HaMeR

That's a big ol cat right there!! And a nice lookin one too!! Congratulations Ben!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bigben

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

coyote101

Way to go Ben.  :yoyo: :yoyo: Congratulations on your cat.  :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

GunDog

Good job Ben ... Congrats to ya!  :yoyo:

JohnP

Congratulations on killing that cat Ben.  Sure looks like a pretty one and big also.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs