• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Need a call for a newbie

Started by ThomasFields60, March 11, 2010, 02:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThomasFields60

I've just started hunting coyotes and I need a good durable hand call for the woods. Any suggestions? I would like to get a custom call if I can afford it.
If its Black, gray, red, or brown............ it's down! I don't discriminate.

Silencer

Welcome to FnF, plenty of GREAT call makers here.  Take a look at the game calls forum, there you should find what you're looking for. 

Hawks Feather

Thomas,

Welcome to FnF we are glad to have you hear.

Questions you will be asked:  When it comes to hand calls the enclosed (closed) reed calls are easier to get started with.  They will make the sound of an injured animal which the predator hears and thinks he will be able to get an easy meal.  No need to chase anything if it is already hurt.  There are an assortment of reeds available or the reed itself can be modified by the call maker.  Open reed calls allow you to get more sounds, but also need a little more practice than the enclosed reed call.  If you are in an area of VERY cold weather the enclosed reed will freeze up quicker than an open reed call and the only thing you can do is wait for it to thaw.  The next thing is what material you want used when making your call.  Hard woods, Dymondwood, and acrylics tend (at least to me) to have a sharper sound and might carry the sound a little further.  Softer woods are great for shorter range and coaxer calls.  (That being said, if a hard finish is put inside the call body you can get pretty decent distance with a soft wood call.)  One thing you might want to make sure of, again personal preference on my part, is that the inside of the call has been finished.  Years back many were not, today most are, but there are still some that don't feel that it is necessary.  The final point is if you are looking for more of a collector call that you can use of if you are only looking for a field grade call that you can knock the heck out of and not feel bad.  If you answer the above you will give most of us a heads up on what you are looking for and we will have a better idea.

Jerry

Bills Custom Calls

Welcome to FnF Thomas

Hawks Feather pretty much touched all bases and He make one Heck of a call I have a couple myself and they are top notch calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

alscalls

Welcome to FNF......  Hang around well help ya find one... :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

What ya want to get into calling coyotes for? :confused: It aint, I say it aint no fun at all :madd:. Might as welll give up :holdon: before you go spending the kids college funds :doh2:.

No, really, welcome to the site :yoyo:. I think you will find it both informative and full of nuts :biggrin:.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

GunDog

Welcome aboard Thomas! What part of the big woods do you call home? There are a lot of good folks hang out here - some may be even famous I think .... pull up ya a stump and stay a while.  :yoyo:

ThomasFields60

pitw

Welcome to the board and if you want some advice on calling coyotes you cam to the right place :yoyo:.  I know virtually nothing about what these guys talk of but I can tell you I can call coyotes with all of the these call makers calls but one. :nofgr:.  If you are new to the sport I'd say by an enclosed reed and then go out and try it cause you won't call one in from the house[unless you live where I do] :wink:
I say what I think not think what I say.

ThomasFields60

I've actually been using an open reed for the last month or so and I think I'm getting decent at it. And yeah I can kill in my backyard too my buddy actually shot a bobcat in the backyard 2 weeks ago! I'll try  to post a pic.

Yotehntr

Welcome aboard Thomas! I'm just a little north of ya, (Murfreesboro) There are several good call makers here, just sort through the hand call section.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

ThomasFields60

OH yeah my hunting partner is actually in murfreesboro right now at the state high school basketball tourney.... he's a teacher

Yotehntr

How's the hunting down there anyway? 
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

ThomasFields60

Just a bobcat two weeks ago...thats it. My buddy shot it in the backyard. we havent called in anything yet, hope to tomorrow though we just got a new 1200 acre farm to hunt.

ThomasFields60

Can someone tell me how to add a pic to my profile. It's only letting me choose between actors and musicians. I'm trying to add a picture of me not Christina Aguilara

Hawks Feather

Since there are mostly men here Jim decided to make it more interesting and require all new members to have an avatar of a woman.  It works really well.  Since you aren't buying that one here is part of a post:  As far as avatars, we ran into some trouble a while back with images getting uploading that contained malicious code.  Again I'm near positive you have no intentions of this either,  but the board wide permission for adding avatars, comes after 100 posts.  Came from here   http://forum.finsandfur.net/index.php?topic=10111.0

Jerry

ThomasFields60

Ahhhh...ok I see. I will get to 100 before long, I'll just start using smaller sentences. haha

slagmaker

Look out for the "ruthless" :confused: posting. Jimbo dont like it at all :nofgr:.

:alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls:
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Todd Rahm

QuoteChristina Aguilara

Come on now thats what I come to this board for.  :doh2: