• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

walleye fishing

Started by golfertrout, March 29, 2010, 07:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golfertrout

well its that time of year again :alscalls:   a buddie called and asked if the master would like to go to Maumee river for some walleye fishing :biggrin: :yoyo: :yoyo:, i have never even caught a walleye and i had to look on here on how to spell it :alscalls:  well guys i will talk at you later im going to catch a big ole walleye :yoyo: :yoyo: be back thursday.    i would take Al but he would get his hooks caught in his clothes and he has fish breath  :alscalls: :alscalls:     

weedwalker

Good luck. I've been there to Maumee before several times. There's some good fishing there but it's literally elbow to elbow. Take your waders and LOTS of 1/4 to 1/2 oz jigheads. Pink, green, or yellow heads with white, yellow, or chartruese 3" grubs. The game wardens are usually undercover and watching for people keeping foul hooked fish. If it ain't in the mouth, throw it back.

golfertrout

ive heard that to Ed, my buddy has all the jigs and stuff, and as far as the game warden   not gonna worry about him, i will toss em back if not hooked right :wink:   hey and thanks for the info

alscalls

Yup sounds like Ed's been there........ :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:  Good eating fish though! Have fun belly boat but!  :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Hidehunter

MMMM nothing better than deep fried, beer battered walleye.  Good Luck
Denver                                           

Troy Walter

I live about ten minutes from the maumee river,We stopped using jigs about ten years ago. some people still use them but you snag more fish then you catch with them. We use floaters rigged Carolina with a 1/4 to 1/2 oz barrel sinker depending on how high the river is.The walleye are just starting to run and with all the rain we had yesterday the river is high. Do not keep a snagged fish it is a 125.00 a fish if they catch you,don't take beer with you because most of the river is in a metro park area.Don't put your friends fish on your stringer only yours and be careful the river is moving this time of year, every year I see people who as never fished the river step into a hole and take a swim.If you need help finding the fish give me a call. If you read this before you go shoot me a pm and I will give you my number, Here is a link to the river update . Click on river update in left hand corner. http://www.maumeetackle.net/riverupdate.htmlmber.
Troy

Hawks Feather

There is noting that I can add to what has already been said.  I don't even attempt to go with all the people that are there - lines tied up, heated tempers, etc.   And yes the water is up about 5 feet today over what it was a few days ago.  What we have here in the Maumee goes right over the dam and on towards Waterville and Toledo where the fish are.  Have fun and be safe.

Jerry

FinsnFur

If there's that many people there, can you imagine how many hooks Al would have hanging from him :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

golfertrout

lol :alscalls: :alscalls:              :yoyo:later fellers     and thanks for the info guys. i dont care if i catch any or not , i just have to get out of the house . been couped up in here for uuuuuuu two days and im ready to get out :biggrin:

golfertrout

just got back from maumee river and caught some walleye and had alot of laughs, elbow to elbow and all kind of people. thanks for the info Troy, we went to white street and limited out. i will post some pics later :biggrin:

Troy Walter

Cool, Sorry I sounded half dead this morning when you called. I was in bed, I don't get home from work till 2 in the morning so I was out of it.Glad you called though got my butt out of bed and I got some work done around the house. Come back in about a week and it will only get better.I am off this weekend so Iam going sunday.Easter is the best day to go it is dead down there in the morning.

golfertrout

got back from maumee river and we caught some, plus we had some good laughs. my buddie and i were fishing off of white street and you have to crowd in a spot . well stew and my self crowded in between about 7 black guys and started fishing, well one guy had about 30 pnd test and he would cast and keplunk his bait landed right beside Stew, i looked at him and give a smile and i could tell he was getting mad. you have to wade out in the water about ten feet and this black guy who is fishing off the bank keeps throwing his line right over my head and i even got his line wraped up in my reel. lol. one guy yells at me and says    hey i think im caught on your boot with his jig :doh2:. then one of the guys fell in the water and he was about 70 and his buddies laughed at him and rode him hard , it  was comical. the one guy that could not cast very well threw his bait beside me and kerplunk his sinker and jig splashes right beside me and i tell the guy your gonna hurt someone with that thing and i think he got mad .lol it was an experiancefor sure but man what a bunch of fish there must be in there.

had a good time but i gotta get ready to go back to the mountains again :biggrin: gonna leave in the morning :alscalls: :alscalls: Jim and Al dont get mad :alscalls: :alscalls:

pitw

Thanks for the pics Dave.  How many can you keep?  We have a limit of 0 on most lakes in Alberta now and I ain't never seen pressure like what you showed here.   I couldn't in my wildest dreams ever imagine fishing with that many people around  :shock2:.  I think I'd be like the black guy and be a mite pissed. :doh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

golfertrout

it was pretty wild Barry.lol. it was frustrating sometimes but if you get around peps that can fish good then you can work together and it aint that bad, but you always have peps that cant fish to good :doh2: i think some peps just go and sit and watch just for a good laugh. you can keep 4 fish and you cant keep it if it is foul hooked. game  wardens everywhere watching you

Okanagan

It looks like sockeye season on the Fraser River in BC, or the Russian River in Alaska.  I counted 104 fishermen standing side by side on one gravel bar less than 300 yards long.  Most people are pretty good and lines don't tangle (for sockeye anyway) as much as you'd expect.   I generally avoid the really tight crowds but once in awhile when there has been no other option, I get in amongst em thick, because the sockeye are so good to eat.   You have to synchronize casting and the drifts work in sync if everybody is using the same weight sinker.   Of course when it is really good fishing, on two occasions I have made two casts, landed my two salmon limit and gone home.

I've heard of fist fights and fished next to a huffy person a couple of times, but usually there is a friendly air and people help each other and are courteous.

You did good!  IMO, walleye are the best tasting freshwater fish there is.  Superb eating and those are big nice ones.

FinsnFur

As much as I like to fish and as much as I love Walleye, I still gotta say that I think that is probably one of the farthest places you'll see me from. I couldnt stand fishing with a line up of people like that.

It's probably a good thing you didn't take Al. Oh my gawd, can you imagine the treble hooks and walleye rigs hanging from peoples faces and arms if he got out there slinging some line.  :alscalls: :doh2:

But it does look like you got some dandy fish. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 02, 2010, 06:10:50 PM
It's probably a good thing you didn't take Al. Oh my gawd, can you imagine the treble hooks and walleye rigs hanging from peoples faces and arms if he got out there slinging some line.  :alscalls: :doh2:

But it does look like you got some dandy fish. :congrats:

That's pretty funny.  :alscalls: :alscalls: Nice fish Dave.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

golfertrout

lol :alscalls: Al would fit right in with those black dudes. :alscalls: :alscalls:it is different thats for sure just ask Troy he probable does it all the time. i gaurentee you could see some good fights there. but hey i had fun and i can sasy i fished there :eyebrow:

alscalls

I have been there many times in the past and I do love eating walleye.......However, fishing elbow to elbow aint for me...... I would have went steelhead fishing it is more of a challenge...... :innocentwhistle:
Some folks just like things the easy way..... :innocentwhistle:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Quote from: alscalls on April 02, 2010, 08:24:54 PM
fishing elbow to elbow aint for me...... . :innocentwhistle:

yeah we know, we seen the video clips :laf:

Hey you walked right into that one :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names