• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Another Good Day

Started by weedwalker, March 30, 2010, 02:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

I haven't got to hunt as much latley with my busy work schedule. But was able to get out this morning for a few stands. I met up with my freind Berettaman and we headed to the mountains. When we got there, the fog was thick. You could only see about 75 yards, even less sometimes.
It's late in the season and I didn't really want to take out any females so I stuck with aggressive howls, coyote & fox fight, and pup distress using my CS-24.
The first 2 stands didn't have any action, as far as we could see anyway in the fog.
On the 3rd stand, the fog lifted and visibility was good. We set up at the head of a big hollow were several points all joined together. I started off with coyote & fox fight and immediately a group of coyotes on the next ridge over, 500-600 yards away, lit up with a group howl. I gave them some howls back and they challenged me. I would challenge them back and they'd start up again. This went on for about 15 minutes. I didn't think they were going to come in. I kept the coy & fox fight going on and off and would throw some pup distress in at times trying to sound like a fight was going on. And still challenge them too. Finally 3 coyotes came thru the deep hollow up on our side. This male was standing about 15 yards from my caller with his fur all bristeled out howling at the caller and scratching the ground with his front paws. He was ready to fight something.I was using my new .22 MAG for the 1st time. I put the crosshairs on him at 60 yards and the 40 gr JHP dropped him right there. The other 2 were a little ways behind him. Berettaman shot one of them 2 times with Dead Coyote but we weren't able to find it. We looked all thru the deep hollow where it ran, but no luck.

HaMeR

I tell ya that guys a coyote killin machine!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  Congratulations Ed & Nice write up!!  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

jdbp

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

canine

Way to go ED!!  That's some pretty lookin country your callin in..Sounds like one heckuva exciting stand!!

JD

FinsnFur

Hey Weed.....were all out fishing, what'd ya get there? :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

Great Job and great story enjoyed all the details.  :yoyo:

I did notice a typo here.
QuoteBerettaman shot one of them 2 times with Dead Coyote but we weren't able to find it.

That should have said WOUNDED coyote  instead of DEAD coyote . We are 50/50 on that stuff and don't think I will use it anymore. At first I thought it was going to be the ticket but as time went on I realized it still doesn't beat a good load of Win #1 buck.

Hope to see more with the 22MAG it is such a looked over cartridge great for public lands and as anybody that grew up on the farm knows it is hard to beat them good ole Win 40gr JHP's in it. Tried all the new stuff out of mine but went back to the tried and true Win 40's.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

HuntnCarve

Way to go Ed!  That looks like a big Ol Dog.

possumal

Mighty fine, Big Ed.  Good story, good picture, nice yote.   :congrats: :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

iahntr

Scott

FozzyBear

markTNhunter

way to go ed you get him on the old stip job

GunDog

Congrats to you Ed and thanks for the story and pic!  :congrats:

linemansteve

Way to go ED !!!  :yoyo: very good write up . way to put them down. :bowingsmilie:
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

coyote101

All right Ed, way to go.  :yoyo: :yoyo: Congratulations and thanks for sharing.  :highclap: :highclap:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Nice one, Ed!!   :congrats:   That was a great story too.   :highclap:

Glad to see you got that .22 wmr you were talking about.  I am not feeling all warm and fuzzy about that Dead Coyote stuff after our experience at LBL and Barrettaman's loss.   :nono:

vvarmitr

Atta boy Ed.  :thumb2:

Good calling strategy!  :thumb2:

JohnP

If I make it to the LBL I'm hunting with Ed!  Great story and picture.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

weedwalker

Quote from: JohnP on March 31, 2010, 03:35:15 PM
If I make it to the LBL I'm hunting with Ed!  Great story and picture.

JohnP, If you can make it to the LBL, I would be honoured to hunt with you.

pitw

Whatever Ed wears for camo has to be the best there is cause after meeting him I figured disguising him as a mountain range would be the easiest.  :biggrin:  Good job on the coyote Weed and using the mag was icing on the cake eh.
I say what I think not think what I say.