• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

scent control

Started by markTNhunter, April 25, 2010, 11:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markTNhunter

i was wandering do any of you fellers use any scent control when calling for coyotes and if so do you think it gives you an edge.

markTNhunter

i use some of the same clothes i deer hunt in i wash them in sent-a-way- detergent and keep them in a huge zip lock bag with dirt scent waffers and i spray a little earth scent spray on my boots before i go in the woods.it may not do any good but i think its better than smelling like a tropical breeze or what ever that stuff is my wife washes our clothes in :shrug: but when it comes down to it i dont think theres a scent blocker suit or spray made to fool the nose of  an ole yote.

pitw

Quote from: markTNhunter on April 25, 2010, 11:25:41 AM
i was wandering do any of you fellers use any scent control when calling for coyotes and if so do you think it gives you an edge.

Unfortunately I ain't going to be of much help here :doh2:.  I kinda/sorta don't use any :noway:.  I do smoke I guess I do it mostly wrong but I do enjoy hunting them varmints :biggrin:.  I would think in the stuff I saw down in the LBL being less of a slob than me would give you a better chance but after hunting ,trapping and watching the dang things for 40+ years.  I can tell you their sense of smell is awesome so to me body placement far outweighs body odor :wo:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

coyotehunter_1

QuoteI can tell you their sense of smell is awesome so to me body placement far outweighs body odor :wo: .

Excellent  answer  :highclap:

You can live in a scent block house, sleep in a scent block bed, take a scent block shower, douch with scent block spray and wear scent block clothing but a coyote can still tell what you ate and stepped in two weeks ago.  :wink:  :laf:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FinsnFur

Agreed.
I have put lure on different sorts on my boots before, but using the wind to your advantage, the best you can anyway, I think is the best odor control.

I dont think there's a product on the market today that effectively eliminates human odor as a coyote knows it. There's a lot of products out there for it, but as long as people keep buying it, they'll keep making it. Whether it works or not.

The trick is to confuse them because you arent going to eliminate your odor. My thoughts anyway.

Rich Higgins ( a very well known canis latrans`ist) once said, that when you walk into McDonalds you smell a Big Mac.
A coyote walks in and smells two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions, on a sesame seed bun.
:eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

markTNhunter

i agree with you fellers the washing the clothes thing is an old habit i picked up from deer hunting,if you dont play the wind right i dont care if you have a suit of armore on if they get down wind your busted.the reason i stated this topic i was sitting watch the outdoor channel seeing all these scent blocker,scent eleminator comercials ,i think most of it is a big money rackett and i seen one of the tv star coyote hunters on there he had something looked like a stick of deoderant rubbing on his clothes and tree limbs  :laf: just thought id get some of your alls thoughts on the matter i respect real hunters oppinions any day over tv people trying make money selling something!

weedwalker

The main thing I use that I think does work is washing my clothes in one of the hunting detergents. Not that it keeps them from smelling you, but that it has no perfume in it and no UV brighteners in it that makes your camo stick out against your background. You can't fool their nose but you can fool their eyes.
I do use some of the other sent control items like soap and anti-persperant but I don't think it'll stop them from smelling you.

Okanagan

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on April 25, 2010, 12:44:44 PM
QuoteI can tell you their sense of smell is awesome so to me body placement far outweighs body odor :wo: .

Excellent  answer  :highclap:

You can live in a scent block house, sleep in a scent block bed, take a scent block shower, douch with scent block spray and wear scent block clothing but a coyote can still tell what you ate and stepped in two weeks ago.  :wink:  :laf:

+2 !!  :congrats: Best comment I've ever seen on this topic!

I used to wash clothes from skin out with unscented soap then seal them with sage or pine in a clean bag, shower with unscented soap just before heading to the woods and then strip to skin and put on the clean natural scented clothes from the sage or pine bag before my first calling stand, etc.  It was an interesting phase of experiment that I'm glad I did for awhile.

Now?   I wore my "cleanest dirty shirt" (thank you, Johnny Cash) and stopped for a cheeseburger with onions on the way to a bear calling stand yesterday.  My wife can detect onions on my breath for 48 hours after I eat them, and her sense of smell can't compare with a coyote's nor a black bear's.  We may intrigue a coyote's nose with a scent, or we may run across a coyote now and then that ignores a hunter's scent, but we won't fool his nose nor keep him from smelling us with current technology,  scent block or no, ad claims to the contrary.

I'd love to put some money against scent block keeping a trained hound from detecting a scent.  If that stuff worked, every drug smuggler in the business would wrap his stuff in a scent block shirt and be home free. :wink:

Tikaani

^^^ +3,  Could not agree more Barry.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

msmith

I don't even use it for deer hunting. Waste of money IMO. I play the wind then too.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

5 SHOTS

I have used baked beans and/or burritos for cover scent a few times.  :shrug:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

Jimmie in Ky

If you watch these huntign shows where htey wear the fancy clothes , you notice a few things. Like when htey mention an animal might be circling to get their wind. Have you ever seen where they allowed it to happen? I haven't so far, they always take the first shot available. I would say hte stuff pays the shows host's bills and that is about it!! They don't even trust it!!

It is all about confidence. And a good number of people are willing to buy just that.  With time and a few anuimals under the belt you begin to understand a few things. Where you are has more to do with success than how you stink.. So put me in with the rest of the crowd. Jimmie

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Yotehntr

Quote from: alscalls on April 25, 2010, 05:57:13 PM
I shower....... :shrug:

:confused:  Sure do wish ya hunted more!   :alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls: 

I'll go with what everyone else has stated...wish I'd read something like this before finding it out for myself though! Went to all the above pains and saw one catch my scent @ over 100 yards.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

msmith

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jimmie in Ky

It's questions like this that always lead me to thinking about down wind hunting techniques. They are viable , even here in the east with thought and preparation. But what if you added the art of misting to the equasion? Say a mix of coyote or fox  and rabbit or deer urines placed about 20 yards to each side. I know this idea would stop the animal for a shot , but , would it follow the scent to the source creating even more shot possibilities? I think fox and rabbit would be best in our case here.

I know Higgins uses this to create curiosity and hold them for a second or two down wind of him. That was his reason for doing it. He sprays it at the stand site itself with a fair mix of diferent urines.

Not sure if these ideas can help the beginer or not. But it is a thought for those that have trouble with setup in the eastern forest and fields. Jimmie

JohnP

I don't worry about it much at all.  Although I know and trust Higgins I don't put much faith in misting.  I use to call with a guy a few years back that was religious about scent.  Wash in that fancy soap, hung his bibs outside with a mixture of soil in it and would even walk through a cow patty or two on his way to a stand.  But he wore the same old greasy hat that he had been wearing for a few years, never thought to swap it out.  When I pick a stand I try to get the wind in my face or a crosswind, if it should shift while I'm calling so be it I continue until I'm ready to move on to the next stand. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Carolina Coyote

Never use anything but the wind. I have some of the lure scents but never have seen any benefit from using it. As the man said "Body Placement" cc  :readthis:

realforreal

Quote from: FinsnFur on April 25, 2010, 01:36:50 PM
Agreed.
I have put lure on different sorts on my boots before, but using the wind to your advantage, the best you can anyway, I think is the best odor control.

I dont think there's a product on the market today that effectively eliminates human odor as a coyote knows it. There's a lot of products out there for it, but as long as people keep buying it, they'll keep making it. Whether it works or not.

The trick is to confuse them because you arent going to eliminate your odor. My thoughts anyway.

I agree, I now use coyote and rabbit scent as a combo, not only as an attractant but also as a cover scent.  My success rate has increased much more than with out it.  For some good scents, if your interested.

http://hunting-scents.com

Good luck with your hunt.