• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Best calls/sounds this time of year?

Started by cityslicker, May 12, 2010, 06:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cityslicker

I plan on getting out this weekend to hunt a new farm I have permission to hunt. I know there are yotes there, as recent as last weekend a turkey hunter had one come in and chase off some birds. Should I be using coyote vocals more since they are more territorial now or stick to distress sounds? I'm very new at this so any advice is welcome. I will be using the Primos Lil Dog.

alscalls

Many folks are against hunting them this time of year......But for us here in WV it seems it is necessary.......
Though coyote vocals can produce very well at times, for a new hunter I would suggest bird distress......Or Fawn distress.
Call on for 5 min and off for 5-10 min......waiting and being still as possible.....
try and force the coyotes to come almost down wind of your location......Giving them a place where they have to show themselves if they want the down wind advantage.
                                                                            Good Luck!
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

golfertrout

try some pup distress right now and watch the wind. plus put a buddie out in front of you about 100 yards and have him sit still and dont let him call unless neccesary

shaddragger

Straight up pup distress seems the most popular around here this time of year.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

JohnP

Can't go wrong with the pup distress, regardless of the time of year.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

cityslicker

I used fawn and pup distress on my Primos Lil Dog. It didn't take long...

Ech Hunter

BAMATIGER

Why do they come to a pup distress?  Is it food or protection?
Brett Easterbrook
Deer Park, AL

FinsnFur

Territorial response but through instincts to protect the young, as with any animal really.
btw, welcome to the site Bamatiger
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

QuoteTerritorial response but through instinct

Instinct whether it be a kitten or whatever animal. Same principal as being in walmart and a baby cries we all look even if your kids are grown and live in another state. It's just natural instinct.

Waching young coyote pups interact they react totally different when a pup is whining or in distress. Ever shot a coyote and it started waling away to see it's on litter mate attack it? They are born predators and a distress will trigger that predator instinct even if it is there own. Pup distress= smaller prey.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

SCcoyotehunter

I've killed 2 this week both using a pup distress sounds. And it didn't take very long either.