• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Bawling calf sound?

Started by Teamroper, May 27, 2010, 11:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teamroper

Has anyone out there ever used a bawling calf sound? I hunt a lot of cattle farms here in the East and haven't used it yet just because I don't want the whole herd on top of me. But we all know that sometimes getting other animal's attention is a good thing. I know that the fawn distress works, especially this time of year, but I don't know a thing about the calf call. Just asking. I already have the sound, just wondering if I should use it? See ya in the woods.
When you stop learning from everybody else you are going backwards.

There's nothing like roping, riding and shooting, but boy, my horse hates it!-Teamroper

possumal

Teamroper, I use the calf bawl in conjunction with a sequence I made involving coyotes attacking a calf, and it has been very good to me.  I like to get set up in a field next to where the cattle are located with the area the coyotes are likely to be bedding out in front of both my field and the field the cattle are in.  If you have a line fence that seperates the field you are in and the cattle, and it has a cross fence seperating both fields from the coyote bedding area, the cattle will come into the corner and raise holy hell.  That just adds realism to it, and has resulted in several multiples being called in, including 5 on two different occasions.  Most have responded either when the calf is beginning to sound weak in my sequence or on the calf bawl follow up which I step down a little at a time.  Good hunting at ya.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

JohnP

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  

I don't use it out here as our range cattle are semi wild as is.  They can pretty much take care of theirself and their calves, plus run you and a coyote off if needed.  

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Bills Custom Calls

John

I can see one heck of a cowhorn howler there  :wink:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

5 SHOTS

Quote from: Bills Custom Calls on May 27, 2010, 03:13:54 PM
John

I can see one heck of a cowhorn howler there  :wink:

Looks like Bill is having trouble counting. No, Bill, you are not seeing double, there are TWO there.
:alscalls: :alscalls: :alscalls:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

FinsnFur

I've never used it, but I can only imagine how well it'd really work. Especially if used when the farmer has cattle that are actually calving. Cause then the air would be filled to them with that sweet luring placenta fragrance.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

I quit using it after the last time :sad:.  Buddy was tagging a calf and I was doing my usual helping hand mode  :innocentwhistle:.  After the beating I decided to quit with that call :doh2:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

I'd maybe use it IF the farmer had lost some calves.
However if I was a farmer & you just up & started using the calf bawl I'd run you off the place for messing w/ my cattle & getting 'em all wound up.
Another thing don't bet your life that fence is going to hold 'em back!

possumal

No IFS involved down in Ky..  It could vary with type of cattle, but I have never had the cattle get riled up enough to tear down a fence. Maybe my ecaller is far enough from them to help in that regard.  In any event, the farmers want the coyotes killed, as every lost calf is hitting them hard in the pocketbook.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Bopeye

Hey Possumal!! Good to see you. Haven't seen you post in awhile or maybe I just missed the posts. Either way, I missed ya, so welcome back.  :eyebrownod: :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

possumal

Hey Bopeye.  Does this mean you have your computer problem solved?  They can be a pain in the butt at times.  :madd:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

CCP

It is a distress so as we know coyotes react to distress so will it work “absolutely”.

The problem is most cows react to distress, the level they react varies from herd to herd. The calf distress does have the effect of making even calm herds go a little nuts.

With any distress if the cows are bunching are bellowing “STOP” if I was a cattlemen/farmer and my cows were upset by you being out there then you aren’t going to be out there.

Here is a small clip I filmed 2 or 3 years ago but never used it was not exactly what I wanted but thought it kind of fit here.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

pitw

That was right on Richard and good advice.  I how ever live where I sometimes don't quite follow it always :doh2:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Bopeye

Well shoot, Richard said pretty close to what I was going to say, but he did a much better job at it. Nice clip Richard.  :highclap:

Outside of obvious things like wind, houses, roads, etc., cows are the biggest thing that give Chet and I fits when we are trying to coyote hunt. Like CCP said, you just never know how they are going to react to your distress sounds.
We have been on several stands where the cows move off or will for the most part ignore us while we are calling. Then you can go back a couple months later to the same farm, start calling and that same group of cows get all tore up. Doesn't matter what sound you are using, they just come right in on you and occasionally you will even have one or two of them get quite aggressive towards the call.
I think cows have to come in a close 2nd for us when it comes to things busting our stands. Wind changing direction would probably be #1. We have even passed up several shots due to not being able to pinpoint where a cow is that was just there moments earlier and then we see a coyote, but won't take the shot because we don't know where the cow went. That will aggrevate the pee outta ya.  ;yes;
Having to pay a farmer a bunch of money just because you shot his cow while going for a coyote just isn't worth it.
We got one crazy farmer down here that has had enough of his cows shot by city slickers during deer season that he spray paints COW on both sides of all his cows.  :laf: It looks funnier than heck, but he claims he hasn't had a cow shot since he started doing it. Who knows?  :shrug:  He probably would stop people from hunting in there, but he likes the money too much that they pay him to hunt his land.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Jeb

What Rich didnt show was the guy he took hunting  was hollering SUU BABE, SUUU BABE, SUUU BABE right before the video shoot.  :biggrin: 

possumal

I would think that most coyote hunters have had a lot of stands messed up by cattle.  The first few years when I was hunting strictly with hand/mouth calls, it got so aggravating that I avoid setting up in the same field with cattle.  It is just a bad setup, in my opinion, for a lot of the reasons already mentioned.  Some of the cows are terrified by coyote sounds, some are curious, some are mad as hell.  Most of the farmers who have lost a lot of calves to coyotes are cooperative in wanting them killed.  I always clear what I am doing with the land owner.  From my observations, cattle get more shook up by a bunch of coyotes right in the field with them than by a sound one or two fields away.  I would think that the deer herd gets upset by fawn distress sounds too.  Problem is the coyotes hang out near the deer herd and near the cattle.  Gotta hunt where they hang out.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Teamroper

Great video Richard :highclap: Just so you don't think I am a complete idiot, I will tell you that I grew up on a dairy farm and at the present time raise Longhorn/Corriente cattle for our roping competitions. I understand how riled up cattle can get but ironically my cattle will usually just trot up to my decoy, sniff it and then just stand around and "talk". I haven't used the "calf bawl" yet but I have some areas that I could use it at where it wouldn't cause a ruckus. Thanks for all the info everybody.  :congrats: Second opinions are always good.  :yoyo: See ya in the woods.  :biggrin:
When you stop learning from everybody else you are going backwards.

There's nothing like roping, riding and shooting, but boy, my horse hates it!-Teamroper

shaddragger

Hey Possumal, do you have a sound clip of that coyotes & calves?
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

possumal

Quote from: shaddragger on May 29, 2010, 08:32:23 PM
Hey Possumal, do you have a sound clip of that coyotes & calves?

Sorry shaddragger, I don't.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff