• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

High Pressure

Started by shaddragger, May 29, 2010, 09:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaddragger

I got my new rabbit squealers from Bill's Custom Calls on Thursday, and wanted to try them out today. Due to time constraints I had to stay close to home so I headed to a 100 acre corn-and-bean farm nearby we have deer and turkey hunted for 1 year. Bill's calls performed flawlessly as 2 hawks, several crows and a yard dog from somewhere nearby were all convinced I was about to expire at any moment. This was the third time I have coyote hunted there and can't get one to come in. I spoke to the landowner on the way out and found out that the properies on two sides are coyote hunted regularly by apparently more skilled individuals than myself. Three of us have seen 'yotes while hunting ( twice while turkey hunting ) and there is plenty of sign- tracks, scat, rabbit kill sites- so I know they are there. I'm sure some of you have figured out a way to hunt a high-pressure area like this. Except for 3 small ( 1-2 acres or smaller ) tree lots it is all field so the 'yotes live off the property. The standard calling and howling dosn't seem to work, I try to work the wind and use the tree islands as best I can. Talk to me, O Great Ones!   :confused:
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Bopeye

Got any pictures or topos of the area you are hunting and maybe even the areas that our getting hunted by others?

Sometimes call-shy coyotes are just that......call shy. Might have to use some different tactics. If you spend quite a bit of the time on the property you could always try and pattern them like you would deer. There's a fella in this area that doesn't call them at all. He just sets up where he knows they travel and waits on them just like you would deer. He is pretty successful doing this I might add.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

Turkey calls too.
If you and the predator pro's are blowing them same sounds and getting busted or educating coyotes, change up your approach to the place and your sounds. Turkey gobbles are good in Turkey country.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bills Custom Calls

I am Glad your happy with your purchase.
There are some many things that come into play on stand that it is really hard to say what went wrong,maybe the coyotes weren't even there when you were.If they don't hear the call they won't come to it.I have told myself that a many a times  :laf:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

CCP

Allen, from what I can gather from your post without seeing pic’s or a Google screen shot, it sounds like they are more than likely not holding there.

There are several places I have access to that I do not hunt. They have lots of tracks scat and the common sign. The problem is there is nothing holding them there or the immediate land surrounding them. There is also no way for me to get on this property without being detected even if there is a coyote laying up there. So I choose to not hunt those areas for the fact they are very low percentage places.

Many years ago if a place had sign it got the blood pumping. Fast forward to 2010 and you find there is literally no place you can go without seeing sign. The coyote population has exploded in most all the eastern US.

Your hunting area could be part of a resident group and they go through at night or on there way to and from there bedding area. They could also be transients going through traveling as a nomad or a transient with a home range of it’s on. Always remember transients make up a very large percentage of a coyote population in any given area.

In either of these cases it would more than likely be hit or miss when they are coming through you property. In this case it would be a matter of finding a good place to setup and call there when you get the chance and at some time or another the stars will line up and you will be there the same time one or two are coming through your area in hearing distance.

Here is an example of resident and transients home ranges.

The yellow areas are resident coyotes and the white areas are transients. As you can see transients have larger areas and over lap each other and over lap resident areas. You have to also consider all the coyotes just traveling through trying to find there on areas etc.

Determining if you are calling to resident coyotes or transient coyotes is a big key in calling sounds. Transients are less likely to respond to some coyote vocals and are not as vocal by nature of survival especially this time of year when resident coyotes are raising there young.

This is why I use distress 95% of the time, Iam calling to all the coyotes around me transients and residents.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

CCP

I replied to what I thought the situation was in your place according to your post but did not address pressured coyotes.

My experience with pressured coyotes has to do with resident coyotes because they are more likely to be in a known location.

Unfortunately I lost a lot of my pics and data with my computer crash but ran across this pic from a study in the Chicago suburbs. It was compared to a Tucson study and both were done in 2000 and they had the same conclusions and relative size home range.

This pic is from coyote resident groups radio collard for one year and location tracked 2 times a day. You can quickly tell there are certain spots in there area that they spend the most of their time. Finding these areas is not very hard with a little time spent with boots on the ground.

Once finding these concentrated areas it is as simple as finding the best trails leading from them. As we know high pressured coyotes will in most cases still respond to a call but will more than likely not expose itself. It will do this by swinging very wide for a smell and if it encounters a situation of not being able to smell without exposing itself it will wait you out.

A good view of how coyotes react is to watch videos from out west. (yeap I said it out west) watching these videos you will notice a coyote running in straight to the caller. In most situations once it has reached a certain distance from the caller it checks up then angles down wind of the sound to get a nose full of what is doing all the hollering. If you notice some come close before doing this and some go very wide. The very wide coyote has more than likely been called before.

Back to the trails
Now look at it from  this stand point and and you can see where the coyote will come up the trail toward the caller for a distance and start to circle. Most coyotes do this but pressured coyotes do it on a much wider circle. I hunted by myself for many, many years and to achieve this I call to 5 min then move down the trail a few hundred yards and cut the coyote off.( No more calling) This is why 2 hunters are better than 1, one calling and the other farther down the trail to cut off the coyote before he circles. It works for pressured and none pressured coyotes. Just remember one long series of calls is much better than continuous calling with pressured coyotes.

I have had so called “cant be killed” coyotes as close as 5 feet while doing this.

This is for farming countryside coyotes. To me they are fairly easy to read/pattern/locate.  I grew up in farming country and that is where my limited experience comes from.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

weedwalker

Quote from: shaddragger on May 29, 2010, 09:59:57 PMExcept for 3 small ( 1-2 acres or smaller ) tree lots it is all field

If they are on the property when you get there, you may be bumping them out by heading to the trees to make your stands. With that being the only cover I would try calling TO the trees rather than from the trees. Maybe set-up downwind or crosswind from the trees in a fencrow or something and try some calls that people don't use much. Maybe a squeeze bulb squeaker, kitten distress, or goat distress.

CCP

QuoteIn this case it would be a matter of finding a good place to setup

Ed already found it!

QuoteIf they are on the property when you get there, you may be bumping them out by heading to the trees to make your stands. With that being the only cover I would try calling TO the trees rather than from the trees.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

shaddragger

:confused: I'm trying to figure out how to post a map for better reference, but this has been a ton of help so far!
Allen

alscalls

Welcome to my world......pressured yotes...... :iroll:

I do all kinds of change ups on em around here to try and keep ahead of the yahoos that call their guts out to em all the time.
And I am a huge fan of howling as well....... three long howls and wait will sometimes do the trick......and if not I will leave my partner there and move back 200-300 yds  and howl again....... sometimes it works and sometimes it dont...... but its sure a lot of fun.

Figuring out where they are and set up as said above is more important than anything.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

shaddragger

Here is a google map link to this property. The two fields below the reference point are ours, ending at the wavy green line to the south which is a large creek. Further discussion with the landowner reveals the owners of the heavily-wooded creek-bottom propertiies to the south and east are the two that get all the dogs. The picture gets a little clearer as I go, or may stop going. If Bill gets a pic posted ( still haven't figured that out ) maybe that will help clear things up as well.
Allen

Okanagan

CCP, that is absolutely superb information.  Thank you.  It explains some things I've seen coyotes do.

jdbp

Ed already found it!

im glad Ed lives so close and we have crappy days off. cause sometimes he calls me and ask if I want to go huntin with him! He is full of info among other things!