• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Chance at a Double

Started by Carolina Coyote, May 30, 2010, 11:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

Little bit of unexpected excitement this morning after checking on the forum here I walked out to check the progress of my Peanut plantation, on the way back to the house I spotted something in the hay field behind the house, they had cut and baled the hay on Friday so I had a good view all the way to the wood line a little over 300 yards. At first look I though it might be two stray dogs one Black and one yellow, but a good look I realized it was two Coyotes and I watched as they crossed the field and turned up the hill toward the house after they got about halfway They were behind a terrace and could not see me so I made a dash for the house to get some artillery as I had just yesterday cleaned my 243wssm and it was handy with some freshly loaded 95 grain silver tip bullets, my wife was standing at the door as I went in and I whispered two coyotes in the field, I hastily grabbed the rifle and made my way back to the door and my wife informed me they were gone but they actually came to 50 feet of the house before turning back, I proceeded out onto the patio and saw them about 275 to 300 yards down at the edge of the field headed back to the big woods, I ran out in the yard to a Pear Tree and dropped to my knee and leaned against the tree, the yotes were going in and out of the edge as I tried to get the cross hairs on one of them finally they both stepped out in the open and stopped for second, I put the cross hairs on the Black one and squeezed the trigger, down he went, I scanned the area and the yellow yote had turned and was looking at the Black one rolling on the ground, I'm thinking my first double and started lining up the shot as I squeezed the trigger I realized I had pull to the right and a clean miss, cranked another shell in but both dog were on the run the Black one struggling, could not get off the shot, so I walked down to the spot and found found blood were I shot the Black Coyote and trailed him for about 50 yards but decided to wait and get help before going any farther. Sure hope to find the Black Coyote. CC

From where I made the shot at the Pear Tree, Coyote down in corner on left

Blood were coyote was on ground

More Blood

From blood spot toward house.

My Wife said the Coyotes were between the Pear Tree and the Post to my Grapevines before turning back.

pitw

I sure hope you find it CC.  Got the haying done last Friday eh.  That blows me away as we need to feed hay here yet. :pout:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

I went down around 1:00 and started looking around and it clouded up so I came back to the house just in time, big rain, the hardest I've seen it rain around here in a while, still raining but we needed it.
Everyone around here baling hay right now and I'm glad they got it out of the field as with the rain we got today don't know if you could get out there with a tractor now.
My Peanut are coming on strong, got a good stand so far if I can keep the critters out of them, will sent picture in a day or two.  cc

jdbp

good luck! Want to see a pic

SCcoyotehunter

CC,
That really stinks, I shot a chocolate one about a month ago and trailed it through the thickest stuff you ever saw for about an hour and gave up. I sure would have like to have rectrieved that one. Looks like he's hit hard though, I'm sure it didn't go too far.

Carolina Coyote

I really hate that he was able to run off, I thought it was a bang flop when I shot and the way he hit the ground, really thought I was going to get my first double, I had been knowing that a Black Coyote was down there as he has been seen several times, It was an ideal shot for me as about 40 yards to the right of where I shot at the Coyotes I have targets set up that I practice at all the time, my shooting range, Don't think he could have gone very far but that's a good example of how tough them critters can be, that will be the third Black Coyote killed out of that patch of woods. We had 3 inches of rain yesterday afternoon and when I got up this morning it was raining again, 2 more inches today so far. Hopefully I will be able to find him in a day or so. cc

CCP

C.C. hope you find it. I have had this happen a few times myself. The last black coyote I shot about 3 years ago I lost but found it 4  days later about a 250 yards away. Unfortunately I was doing something I knew better than to do. I had a .17HMR in my hands and shot it at around 60 yards trying for a head shot. I saw fur fly and it hit the ground to only get back up and run.When I finally found it there was a hunk out of the back of it's head in the neck.

Feel bad about that to this day.

Once again hope you find it.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

possumal

Times like that make you wish you had a good dog.  Good luck to you finding him.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

shaddragger

Hope you find him CC! Hate to lose any of them, especially a black one! Looks like that WSSM hit him pretty hard, maybe he didn't get far.

Quote from: CCP on May 31, 2010, 02:56:38 PM
Feel bad about that to this day.

Know what you mean there, CCP. Took  a head shot at a doe last year and misjudged the range. The bullet hit low near the jaw and by the time we found her the meat was spoiled. Totally wasted that animal.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen