• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Auto Insurance

Started by FinsnFur, June 06, 2010, 01:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Wisconsin state law all motorists must have auto insurance, and proof of it beginning June 1st 2010...or a hefty fine will be issued.

I had auto insurance once when I was 16, it lapsed and I've been uninsured ever since. I think the new law is a good thing, to get people like me to get up look around and at least protect what I own with liability coverage. But the auto insurance has always been on the back burner and always viewed as something I could never afford anyway.
Not too mention I've always viewed it as a con.
"We'll bet you x amount of dollars your going to get in a crash within a year. if you dont, we'll keep your money anyway and bet again."
Are you friggin kiddin me? :doh2:

Anyway...I've been doing some heavy duty looking into it, and am just curious as to what some of you pay for auto insurance.
Granted I'm going to be high risk cause I was uninsured for so many years. But I do have a clean record.
The quotes I'm getting are all within a couple dollars of each other for liability and are just under $300 /year.
I didnt think that was too bad.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Ohio has had that law for years now. I thought it was across the board but apparently not. Anywho Ohio requires a minimum of $10,000. When I look around these parts I'm in deep trouble with ONLY $10,000 worth of auto insurance. I opted for a minimum of $25,000 so most of the vehicles I would happen to hit would be paid for. Nowadays it might be better to have $35,000 if you can swing it. I agree it seems like a con at times but it's better to have & not need than to,,, well you know how this goes.
at least protect what I own with liability

Do you mean that if you are at fault you're assets stay yours & the insurance company pays? Or do you mean your vehicle will be repaired by the liability insurance? Liability only fixes the other party's damages.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

...protecting what I own...I meant avoiding a devastating lawsuit.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on June 06, 2010, 05:08:06 PM
...protecting what I own...I meant avoiding a devastating lawsuit.

Die in the wreck :shock2:.
We have always had to carry liability insurance.  My insurance bill for the year exceeds $15,000. :wo:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

I can't help you much with an amount, but that seems pretty low.  I have my house and cars with the same company so I don't have an accurate "vehicle only" amount for you.  My combined amount is just under $2,000 for a year.

Jerry

Bills Custom Calls

We have 3 autos on our policy liability only and ours runs about $1600 a year and $1200 is just for our 23 year old daughter and she pays that part of it

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

weedwalker

Mines about the same as Hawks. Full coverage on 2 vehicals @ $1200 a year for both and $900 a year for the house.

alscalls

Quote from: weedwalker on June 06, 2010, 08:01:56 PM
Mines about the same as Hawks. Full coverage on 2 vehicals @ $1200 a year for both and $900 a year for the house.

Thats about what I pay here.......
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

iahntr

I didn't know there was anyplace anymore that would allow ya to not have any insurance.
We pay about $100.00 a month, liability on 2, full coverage on 1.
I think that sounds pretty fair for ya.
Scott

HaMeR

I thought that's what you meant.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:  I don't know what Diane pays for it. Ours is all wrapped together too. I just drive em like I stole own em.  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Well you guys must have some pretty high end houses. My house insurance is like $138 bucks a year.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

5 SHOTS

I pay $46.50 per month for 2 vehicles. I have liability only.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

Silencer

I'd have to ask the boss, she handles the money or I'd be sick seeing where it all goes.

Todd Rahm

I'm with Silencer, but I'll ask too.

HuntnCarve

In PA you have to have auto insurance in order to get your vehicle registered.  Then we have state vehicle inspection every year. -You must show them proof of insurance otherwise they cannot inspect your vehicle.  The garage will report you.  Also, State police and local police watch for cars with expired Inspection stickers (located in the corner of the windshield).  Technically, you cannot operate the vehicle (except on your own property) without a valid inspection, registration, and auto insurance.  At the end of the inspection period (end of month) you will see State Troopers standing at the toll boths on the PA Turnpike.  They're looking for expired inspections.  Big fines if you get caught!
I'm paying about $1400/year for two vehicles (liability only).

THO Game Calls

Keep in mind that Liability Insurance only covers you up to the limits of your policy.   If you get sued for more than that amount, and lose, you will end up paying out of your own pocket.   Minimum liability limits might not be in your best interest.

New Hampshire does not require auto insurance.   

I pay 145 a month for two cars, full coverage through GEICO.   My 1994 yard truck/hunting pick up is insured by Colt, Smith & Weson, or Glock, depending on my mood. 

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Bills Custom Calls

Al we used to be with GEICO then we started shopping around and progressive beat them so we switched,as for our homeowners insurance we went with another one due to the wood burner in the basement and the fireplace in the living room and we pay $400 a year for that policy
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Silencer

Bill, we go with Progressive as well, after asking the boss we pay $120. per month, one vehicle has full coverage and my old neon just has liability.
Our homeowners is included in our mortgage and she didnt feel like looking it up  :eyebrownod:

THO Game Calls

Years ago, GEICO used to only insure Government Employees which covered the Military.   Since I am retired military, my rates are a little less than they would otherwise be.   

Keep in mind that I live in a state that does not require auto insurance, has a 5 year welfare program, and live about 40 miles from Boston.   Our auto insurance rates in Manchester are the highest in the state of NH because of the above.   I've shopped it around, and no one can even come close to what I have right now. 

The big problem is no one has car insurance unless they have a new car and the bank demands it for the loan.   So all of our "guest" drive around without coverage.   That makes the rates go up.

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Roundman

Just the son's insurance is 1200.00 a year. That's liability for a 15 year old car and a 16 year old driver. I told him I would make the car payment if he paid the insurance. That was the deal we struck.  What he didn't know.... the car was paid for.  :biggrin: