• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Late night bow

Started by Tappen, July 23, 2010, 12:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tappen

Caught another good size rainbow, not as big as the first one, this guy was just over 19 inches, never weighed him, but a real nice fish indeed, caught him around 10:30 pm. Caught him on a black Marabou Leech

FinsnFur

:yoyo: Very nice

I wish I could fish until 10:30 pm :sad:   :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Niiiice trout! And a reliable killer fly.  Good on you!

Some fly fishermen over this way catch  BIG trout regularly late at night, after midnight, on large black flies.  Another friend of mine catches steelhead on a big black fly at night, dragged quartering across current on or near the surface in shallow water where the steelies hold at night.  At dusk in mid summer I've had great luck on BIG rainbows using a steelhead size streamer fly (size at least 4 up to 2/0).  The only criterion seems to be a white streamer wing on the fly, usually a long shanked one.  Big trout feed at dusk and they seem to like a big meal, but I have no idea why they like the white winged streamer.  It does not seem to matter whether it is a Coachman streamer variation or even a big brown and white bi-visible I used that way one time.   

Also, the good evening bite for BIG trout in the Okanagan area high lakes seems to last about 20 minutes during mid-summer, sometime well after sundown but it ends before dark usually.  That's when those big streamers seem most effective.  During the same time, smaller trout are often feeding and you can catch a bunch of them during the same spell with smaller flies.  Switching to a big streamer during that early dusk period is a calculated risk:  you may get skunked but if one does hit, it is usually a doozy!