• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

How many like the 1911

Started by Roundman, October 25, 2010, 07:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundman

At the softball field the other day talking to and FBI feller. He was talking about his carry weapon, a Kimber 1911. He was bashing a glock, xd, and Beretta. I've shot a few 1911's and a Colt 1991 A1.(I think that's what it was) Now, I can't say that I've never wanted one, but after shooting a few and handling a bunch at the gun store I can't see the real attraction. They do have a cool history and look awesome, but is it on a list to one day own? How about you guys? Can a $1000 1911 shoot any better than a $500 Glock or XD?

pitw

Sorry I know nothing about them but I believe Semp was around then and should be able to help. :wink:
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

I like the 1911.  Here is a pic of one of mine. A Springfield TRP.  It is the production version of the contract pistol that Springfield builds for the FBI. 

I also like the Glock and have owned and still own several of them.   Glocks are rock solid and mine have never failed to go bang.   Is the TRP worth almost 3 times the Glock's value?   I think so.  But, then, I have a weakness for most firearms.   :wink:

Roundman

I wondered if the fact that you can customize almost every part of the gun makes it more interesting to people.

slagmaker

I got a Chinese 1911 for sale. Its a Norinco. 1911A1. the gentelman that I am trying to move it for wants $650
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

MI VHNTR

I'm sold on the 1911 platform. I've got a Colt XSE LW Commander in 45 ACP.  Glock? I HAD one and one was more than enough. Never again.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

KySongDog

Quote from: Roundman on October 25, 2010, 08:04:48 PM
I wondered if the fact that you can customize almost every part of the gun makes it more interesting to people.

Aesthetically, the 1911 is more appealing than the polymer Glock.  I also agree that customization is a large part of why people like the 1911.  It can be tuned to run like a fine watch.   Plus a lot people like the .45 ACP cartridge it is chambered for.  For self defense purposes, I don't think one can do any better.  

George Ackley

To answer the question that roundman asked,,,,,,,,,,,,,YES

Kimber 1911 In my opinion is the best shooting gun out the box . do I carry mine NO !! I am a bad shot when I am scared so and need all the projectiles I can get :eyebrownod:
I am a SIG man and thatS what I carry all winter. summer time carry gun is
stainless 380

but my Kimber it for when it times to shoot targets
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

alscalls

I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry 1911 45ACP
I love that gun!  But for no other reason than I have always carried a 1911 and shot them a LOT , so I am very familiar with it..... and comfortable shooting it under any circumstances.
Though the limited rounds of the gun is a down point...... If you are confident you can hit your mark...... and that the gun wont fail..... 230grains of hollow point can be an awesome thing..... :biggrin:
For a 1911 custom is a must....Kimber does a wonderful job of making a 1911 a very accurate,and reliable weapon right out of the box..... But many still need things such as sights ( laser/Glow dot). Some even need the ramp polished some more...
Back when I was working a lot we would swing a tire with a target in the middle of it.....From a rope....
Then we would take turns running and shooting at the target at the same time....

Running at the target is easier than running away..... or sideways.... And with enough practice.... You will find confidence with any weapon you choose.

I do know..... any gun....When yer a looking down the whole in the barrel........ will scare the hell out of ya.... but if the man shooting it......aint any good at it..... 7 shots is plenty,to shoot back with.....  :eyebrownod:
And if they are good at it...... You wont get the chance to shoot 7... :nono:
I have shot with many Police officers...... some can shoot well...... Some should never own a gun....... They are after all human.... Like the rest of us.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

Either your lacking in your education or we need to ask to see your Green Card?  :doh2:
For one thing it's as American as Mom, Apple Pie, Purple Mountains Majesties, Stars & Stripes Forever, & basketball!
The only other thing to have more versions made of it is the Holy Bible!
Name another pistol that can be made so loose that you can drop it on wet foreign soil (mud) & you pick it up & keep on firing; or can be so tweaked that it's the prime pistol in competitions. Don't believe ask HaMeR's old girl friend. She has a room full of trophies won w/ a 1911.

I mean, look, the FBI carry 'em!

Enough ragging on ya RM. :laf:
Honestly though it is on most peoples bucket list of guns to own.
I love the way it feels, it has just the right amount of recoil (IMO) to be really cool. Parts are available about anywhere.
I have a inexpensive Llama & it shoots great.
They're great guns! :wink:

pitw

Quote from: vvarmitr on October 26, 2010, 09:17:02 AM
For one thing it's as American as  basketball!

Ummm that game was invented by a Canadian :nono:.

I've had a couple 1911 too :yoyo:.

vvarmitr

Quote from: pitw on October 26, 2010, 09:35:30 AM
Ummm that game was invented by a Canadian :nono:.
Was Nawt!  :noway:

pitw

vvarmitr

Yeah, well he did it in the USA!  :eyebrownod:

So are you saying Canadians aren't Americans?  :confused:

pitw

Quote from: vvarmitr on October 26, 2010, 10:10:03 AM

So are you saying Canadians aren't Americans?  :confused:

FnCountry. :doh2:    :alscalls:

vvarmitr

HaMeR

Kim Hobart is just about the sweetest woman other than my Wife that I have ever met. She has a heart of gold & a big bright smile that lights up the room. And to top all that off here is a little bio I found on the net. I thought you would all like to know the accomplishments VV mentioned.

Kimberly Hobart holds seven (7) national records with a 45 caliber
pistol and three (3) with a 22 caliber pistol. She also holds two (2)
combined 22/45 NRA Conventional Bullseye 3-Gun Pistol records.
Kimberly has won the High Woman Overall National Championship
five (5) times and the High Civilian Woman’s National Championship
eight (8) times. She won a GOLD MEDAL shooting with the USA
Mayleigh International Team in 2002. Kimberly is a member of the Les
Bear Pistol Team and the USA Civilian Pistol Team.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

That resume of Ms Hobart is very impressive.    :bowingsmilie:   :congrats:   

HaMeR

Yes it is. She has worked very hard for everything as we all can imagine. It's an honor for me to know her on a personal level.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Roundman

Quote from: vvarmitr on October 26, 2010, 09:17:02 AM
Either your lacking in your education or we need to ask to see your Green Card?  :doh2:
Us dumb ol country boys don't get out much. Heck, I have a West Virginia public education, it doesn't get much worse than that.