• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My first yote sat morning!

Started by snowalker, October 31, 2010, 08:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowalker

Hey all,
Newbie to this board but have been reading alot here for quite some time now and decided to join in on all the predator action here.
I just killed my 1st coyote Sat. morning 8:45 am. I went out to a farm that I have been scouting out a couple times seeing alot of sign,tracks/scat so I planned my set up last week after reviewing some last minute notes from ariel maps,on my way to the stand Sat. morning the wind was perfect blowing out of the field from the west in my face,after walking this field brushy fenceline 300 yards I cut up in the woods at the corner of the woodline beside a creek bed and thought uh oh, wind was blowing from the field in to the woods sw and toward the side of the ridge, so I decided to change tactics on my set up,I placed my FP firestorm and mojo critter about 25 yards in the woods just out of the field down near the creek bed and I set up shop up on the side of the ridge about 40 yards downwind of my caller and was able to cover the bottom part of the ridge and creek bed area in which would put that area in a crosswind direction.

I settled in and started my call softly with a jackrabbit in distress for about 10 minutes and paused it for about 2 minutes,then just a little bit louder at about 10 minutes and then paused ,nothing but crows birds moving in the tree tops , so I sat quietly for about 3 minutes and hit the coyote pup distress softly and within 30 seconds I caught movement to my right just up out of the creek bed, The yote went down in a small revine and came up the other side of it and stopped just behind a big tree and I saw white/grey poke out from behind the tree it was just his head and he was looking dead on at my mojo in which he was apprx. 50 yards from it at the time,I had the scope on his head knowing he would walk out a bit and then he did and I went "Wooof" to stop him, he looked up not at me toward the field and it was to late, The cross hairs were locked on just beyond the front leg shoulder and "Boom" the remington700 243 95 grain winchester bullet hit him like a ton of bricks and down he went not moving a muscle,the fox bang tripped on the caller kiyi and I didn't see any behind him and set there about 10minutes with a big smile on my face!and decided to go take a look at him.The entry hole was tiny and the exit was only about the size of a quarter so I didn't hit bone and glad of it on this dog.
I would like to thank everyone as I have reading alot of info here and taking it to the field in which got me going in the right direction on killing one of these fine weiry animals,This Male Dog weighed in at 35-1/2 lbs on the rapala digital scales with a really nice red/tan wooly coat. I am going to have a full body mount in the sneak pose just as I shot him.
I know that I am big time hooked on this stuff and will continue to work hard to hopefully keep them coming in to the gun as this was my 5th stand since the start of yote hunting. I have some pics to share with you all.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cityslicker

Bills Custom Calls

Now thats what I call an entry Welcome to the site Congrats on the kill and thank you for the story and pics
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

KySongDog

Welcome to FnF, snowalker!      You'll find that there is a great group of hunters here. 

I've seen you on the Ky site.     Congrats on the coyote.    :congrats:   

centerfire_223

Way to go, snowwalker. That is a fine looking coyote there.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

golfertrout

CCP

Quotegreat story and good job

I agree!! While reading the story I felt I was right along with you on your hunt.  :yoyo:

Nice coyote CONGRATS !!!
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Nice job snowalker.
That made a heck of an entrance :eyebrownod: Welcome to the site.
I appreciate you sharing the experience with us. I cant wait to see the mount pics.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

That sure is a dang nice coyote snowalker!! Congratulations on a fine critter & equally fine writeup!!  :congrats: :congrats:

And Welcome to Fnf!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

kyfuzzyface

Congrats Snowalker, Glad you found your way over here
Great bunch over here  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Fuzzy

wked

Way to go snowalker!  :congrats: Good looking dog! Welcome to the addiction :laf:

pitw

Great story you started with and we've proved stories count :eyebrow:.  Welcome and congrats :yoyo:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

coyote101

Welcome to Fins and Fur snowalker. Congratulations on your first coyote.  :congrats: :congrats: Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

vvarmitr

Welcome aboard Snowalker!  :congrats:
5 sets & you get a coyote. WOW! :eyebrow:

Hawks Feather

Welcome to FnF, we are glad to have you here.  I enjoyed the write-up and pictures.

Jerry

bambam

JohnP

Welcome aboard.  Hope to see many more pictures and write-ups.  Congratulations :yoyo:
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

snowalker

Thanks everyone I Appreciate it,
I'm pretty proud of that one, I have hunted deer,turkey,and most all small game all my life but nothing compairs to this Coy Hunting bar none. Just got back from burning up some boot leather after work this evening ,been scouting out another farm that I just got permission to hunt this morning while doing a drive by. The area has some nice thickets of young timber along with some pines,alot of fence lines and a couple of thick draws with a dry creekbed and about 50 head of cattle. Man we need some rain here for shure.Seen some scat but could not make out any tracks as the cattle paths are heavely used by the cattle.Hope to land another one soon.

Snowalker

iahntr

Scott

Frogman

I somehow missed this??  Great story and nice pictures!  WTG!  It's exciting isn't it?

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!