• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

One from last week

Started by blakcoyote, February 08, 2007, 11:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakcoyote

Here's another coyote from the weekend before last.I had a couple hours on sunday.So I decided on finding a spot on some county land that was close to the highway where I see coyotes crossing alot.The land along the highway is private,but behind the the private land is a big chunk of county land.I found an area while morel mushroom picking last spring that looked promising.It had alot of red pine and balsam in the area,but also had some cut off areas of hardwood.After parking the truck,I started walking in looking for a decent setup,I found a logged off spot that was bordered by some thick balsam.It was kinda like a valley,so I set up on the north side up on a slight rise that overlooked the valley.It was 2pm,clear sky and bright sun and a little breezy.I sarted on a carver 220 swift bullet call for a few seconds,but decided to swith to my carlton open reed for a little more volume.Even though I was on a little rise,there was a high ridge to the south,and wanted to reach out past it,along with the wind,I was sitting in a bowl.After screaming on the open reed for about 3min.,here comes a coyote trotting in from the west along the bottom of the ridge.He's about 80yds out,broadside.I wait until he gets out in front of me.Just as he does,he turns and comes straight towards me.I still have him in the scope,when he gets about 60yds away,he stops and sniffs the ground,then lifts his heads and winds the air,at that moment I touch the trigger and send a 100grain sierra from my .243 into his chest via windpipe.He just drops in a pile.It took longer walking in than it did on the stand,I love it when things fall together.Here's a pic of him.

Hope you enjoy.

keekee

Cool Congrads! Great storie and Pic!

Brent

blakcoyote

Thanks Brent,hopefully I can post a few more,I enjoy describing the hunts,almost as much as the hunt itself.Theres just something about about a coyote coming in with killing on it's mind,bot knowing he's the victim,oh the irony of it all. :biggrin:

Arkyyoter

FinsnFur

Nice Job  :congrats:

Hey what'ya got tied around it's mouth there?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

blakcoyote

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 09, 2007, 10:01:14 AM

Hey what'ya got tied around it's mouth there?

It's a rope halter I made with a piece of camo rope,like used when when trying to move calves around on the farm.It makes dragging coyotes easier,keeping their nose straight to the line of pull,so it isn't snagging on brush all the time.It has a small loop that goes over the muzzle,then the tag end goes around the back of the head and around the other side and back through the loop on the muzzle. Another thing I found that works good,if I forget my rope,is cutting or poking a hole with my knife through the center of the nose sideways,then running about a 6" sharpened green stick through it and using it as a handle,with 2 fingers on each side of the nose when dragging.

FinsnFur

:yoyo:

I thought maybe you had him muzzled so he didnt bite you for the photo  :wink:
Good idea
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

blakcoyote

You just never know,just when you think their down,they get up and take off. :wink:

yotefever

Nice going Duane.
Don't know when I'll get up there for some more hunting, I may get out tomorrow if we get some snow, they don't let us work when it gets over 3" or so, worried about injuries. Just the labors get to shovel snow.

Mike
http://www.whitcombministries.org/
http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"My Jeep won a war...Your Honda mows my yard !"

Smith

Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...