• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

how to grunt deer

Started by Tappen, November 20, 2010, 09:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tappen

Been trying to grutn in a buck the past few days, been trying quite a few different things, just wondering if ya guys had any advice on what i should be doing to get one in. thanks.

pitw

Hunt where there are deer :innocentwhistle:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

bambam

grunt, then snort-wheeze, then rub a tree with a shed antler, then bleat like a doe, then fart real loud. Any buck around will think another buck is gettin'  a shot and will come running.

FinsnFur

Quote from: bambam on November 20, 2010, 09:46:10 PM
grunt, then snort-wheeze, then rub a tree with a shed antler, then bleat like a doe, then fart real loud. Any buck around will think another buck is gettin'  a shot and will come running.

So THATS what CCP was doing at the Kansas Predator Expo at 3:00am in the hotel room while I was trying to sleep  :alscalls: :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Bills Custom Calls

Yep that sounds like it should work
I hardly ever use a grunt sound when hunting deer.Don't get me I have mixed a grunt in but I normally use a doe bleat
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 20, 2010, 10:01:08 PM
Quote from: bambam on November 20, 2010, 09:46:10 PM

So THATS what CCP was doing at the Kansas Predator Expo at 3:00am in the hotel room while I was trying to sleep  :alscalls: :alscalls:

Jimbo, you are extremely lucky he wasn't in rut to boot.   :alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls:

alscalls

Quote from: Bills Custom Calls on November 21, 2010, 04:44:44 AM
Yep that sounds like it should work
I hardly ever use a grunt sound when hunting deer.Don't get me I have mixed a grunt in but I normally use a doe bleat

:eyebrownod:  Me 3
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Okanagan

Tappen, you have more and bigger whitetails to hunt so will be coaching us soon. :biggrin:  FWIW I've used grunts sparingly, and mostly in connection with rattling for whitetails.  Last year I added a very few soft grunts to some calling with doe in heat sounds for blacktail bucks, but can't say whether it helped or hurt.    When rattling, I add one soft grunt maybe every few minutes, but do some panting, pounding the ground and raking brush along with the antler racket.

A whitetail buck that came in to rattling stopped behind brush and one grunt with my nose got him to step forward enough for a shot.  Another whitetail that had spooked a little and was leaving through timber at a trot turned around and came right  back when I grunted at him with my nose.

Several years ago I asked a friend in Sask. who gets humongous whitetails, what brand of grunt call I should buy.  He told me it doesn't seem to make much difference and that he just grunts with his nose/mouth, like a kid imitating a pig grunt.  That's what I've used since.  It is always with me, handy to use, and it has worked.

Good luck!

alscalls

The best way to learn it is to wait till you see a buck.....out of range, or maybe one you dont want......then grunt and watch his reaction.... each deer is different......and the time of year will dictate more of how he will react than anything else.
But the most importaint thing.......Try......and have fun! 
And here is a tip for ya......
If a deer hears a grunt or a bleat?...... There are a few more things they expect..... they want to smell it, they want to see it, and they expect to hear it walking...... So for example...... if your doing a tending grunt? ...... make a little noise in the leaves if you can..... when he aint looking..... sometimes the little things will bring em. :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls