• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Another Fine Day!

Started by HuntnCarve, December 07, 2010, 03:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

I went down to Dave's place yesterday afternoon for some deer hunting.  A friend of Dave's did some pushing for us.  Ended up running a pile of deer by us.  Dave collected three nice does.  I saw a pair of bucks sneaking out of range, and dissappear along with about 10 does.  I lost sight of them as they ran around some big pines, but hoped they were headed for a small woodlot across the creek.  Dave told me to hop up into a treestand on the edge of his property, and Jeff would push through it.  Well, no sooner did Jeff start into the woodlot, when I see tails coming down through the woods!  A group of does barreled across the creek over to my side of the bank.  Right on their tails was this buck.  The does blasted up into the thick stuff crossing my only shooting lane in milliseconds.  Figuring he was going to do the same I aimed the scope of my slug gun down the path and squeezed off a round just as he was breaking the brush.  At the shot I saw water kick up off to the side of him!  The slug had been deflected by all the brush!  Quickly racking the bolt I got another round in the chamber.  A pair of does, spooked by the shot, came bounding onto the path (80 yards away).  The buck turned and started following them a few steps, then stopped.  I could see all his neck and the front portion of his shoulder as he quartered toward me.  So I planted the crosshairs right at the juncture of the two and squeezed off.  Down he went!!!  Wha Who!!! I knew he was big, but it wasn't until we got the tape on him that I realized how nice he was. His rack had nine points, and a inside spread of 21 inches, outside of 22-1/2 inches.  The tips of a few points had been broken off, or he would have been a 10 point.  I was very pleased to say the least.  Once again my buddy Dave has put me on a very nice buck.  I’ll try and get a few more photos perhaps later on.  Right now I have to finish up some butchering.  Good hunting!
Dave

coyote101

That's a beauty for sure Dave;  :yoyo: :yoyo: congratulations.  :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Very nice!   Congrats, Dave!   :congrats:   

I've never done a deer drive.  No doubt it definitely works!   ;yes;

Carolina Coyote

:congrats:  :congrats: Real nice Buck Dave, looks pretty heavy too. cc

bambam

That's wide !!!  Good job !

Hawks Feather

Nice looking buck and you need to thank Dave.  Which I am sure you already have.

Jerry

HaMeR

That sure is a nice buck Dave!! I even seen the slug hit the water!! Congratulations on a fine harvest!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

golfertrout

thats a nice buck there :yoyo: i used to particapate in some deer drives and they are fun and effetive, i like to be the stander not the driver :biggrin:

FOsteology

Very nice buck indeed Dave. Dig that spread! Congrats!!!

pitw

Nice buck sir :yoyo:.  Drives are an excellent way of spending time with friends and seeing deer.  I'd like to have been around when the community did coyote drives ;yes;.  Dave you better keep being nice to Dave as Dave seems to have a very good spot for hunting :wink:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Yes!  I'd be tickled with a buck that wide, and you gave it a good write up to boot.  WTG on the buck, and thank you.

coyotehunter_1

:highclap: Way to go, Dave !!! That's a fine buck.  :highclap:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FOsteology

Quote from: HuntnCarve on December 07, 2010, 03:34:50 PMQuickly racking the bolt I got another round in the chamber.

Bolt action slug gun?? Kewl! I wanna see and hear a bit more about it!

FinsnFur

I had to stop and start over reading a couple times with all the mentioning of Dave :laf: I thought you were going to display your story telling abilities again but this time talk through yourself as the third party.  :alscalls:

Yah,  :doh2: then I started putting it all together.

Nice deer for sure, he's go a quite the spread :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

NICE ONE DAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!        :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:   What ya gonna do? Mount it?  Make calls?   :wo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

weedwalker

VERY NICE BUCK Dave!!!! It sure is a wide rack. Looks great. :yoyo:

iahntr

Very nice Dave ! Congrats to ya !  :highclap:
Scott

Dave

That was a nice buck.  Jeff said about 4 other bucks cut back on him, but this and another cooperated (somewhat - full cooperation would've been both down!).  Just as well, though - I get to go on a 'management' hunt tomorrow at one of PA's state parks.  And you want to be in there with your buck tag.  Potential for a nice one in the same class as Dave's.  They draw through a lottery for one day a year to try to cull the numbers to better fit the size of the park.
Congrats, Dave, on a fine day and a beaut of a buck.
Dave
BTW, was there something about a doe in there?  I'll have to re-read the post because I'm sure I heard a shot 10 min prior to your buck goin down.  :confused:  :wo:

Todd Rahm

Man, I assume ya have a nice picture there, but I'll have to wait until I get home to see it (Damn work puters).  :doh2:

Yotehntr

:yoyo: WOW!  very nice buck Dave!  That's a wall hanger there!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink: