• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Old Man

Started by Yotehntr, January 16, 2011, 10:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

I was putting a call together for an order... as usual after I got it made I usually hand it to my daughter and wife to see what they think...  :confused:  I bet they're getting tired of that.. never thought of it before now...  anyway.. my wife says "Look there an old man"..   :doh2:  I thought she was talking about me at 1st but sure enough...

So my next usual "step" is to take some pics... I carry it over to the "light box"... lol  well... it's a cardboard box with some construction paper in it... yep we're talking "high tech".. and I start looking for the "Old man"... course I see a woman...

LOL   :shrug:  she don't look so old though..  :confused:  Hey I'm starting to catch some weird vibs off of this conversation now that I think about it..???  Well I'll show the call in it's completion..  It's a Corrugata barrel (also known as Yellow fruited Mallee) it has an Elk antler bead, and is followed with a stabilized antler toneboard... both pieces have my CA finish, buffed and polished to a high gloss.

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Todd Rahm

Looks more like the "Moth Man" ledgend to me.  :biggrin:

But regarless of what ya see in it, shes a beauty!!  :congrats:

HaMeR

Beauty & the Beast on that one Brad. Nice call!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Excellent work as usual!  :congrats:

pitw

I think you been in the dust toooooooooo long Brad :hahaha:.  I see what your wife see's but not what you see :shrug: and I also see another beauty in the pic too :wink:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Quote from: HaMeR on January 17, 2011, 02:03:32 AM
Beauty & the Beast on that one Brad. Nice call!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

I'm going with that. Beauty & the Beast :congrats:
Nice work.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Brad,

Beautiful call, but I like longer legs on my women.   :biggrin:

Jerry

securpro

Nice... :yoyo: Brad whats the reason for useing a stabilized tone board ? :shrug:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Yotehntr

Quote from: pitw on January 17, 2011, 07:57:59 AM
  I think you been in the dust toooooooooo long Brad :hahaha:.  I see what your wife see's but not what you see :shrug: and I also see another beauty in the pic too :wink:.

:alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls:  That's what I was expecting right off..!!! ... you'll have to have a drink with the dust to see the woman Barry!   :laf:

Thank you for the compliments guys! 

Quote from: securpro on January 17, 2011, 08:50:06 AMBrad whats the reason for useing a stabilized tone board ? :shrug:

Antler is normally very porous.... I don't know if you have any calls made with antler but if you do you've probably noticed they aren't as loud or as crisp sounding as your other calls...???  The pours act as a muffle... This can be helped to some degree with finish... The stabilizing if you're not familiar with it is an acrylic resin... it's pulled into the antler in a vacuum then hardened in an oven.... it fills all the pours with acrylic in other words.  If you ever go to a duck calling competition you'll see that most of the folks compete with acrylic calls.. acrylic has a very sharp, crisp, loud sound that I wanted in my calls.  :wink: 

WldWldWest

Nice Call Brad!

If it starts Bleeding I'm hauling AZZ!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

FinsnFur

Quote from: Yotehntr on January 17, 2011, 09:16:04 AM

Quote from: securpro on January 17, 2011, 08:50:06 AMBrad whats the reason for useing a stabilized tone board ? :shrug:

Antler is normally very porous.... I don't know if you have any calls made with antler but if you do you've probably noticed they aren't as loud or as crisp sounding as your other calls...???  The pours act as a muffle... This can be helped to some degree with finish... The stabilizing if you're not familiar with it is an acrylic resin... it's pulled into the antler in a vacuum then hardened in an oven.... it fills all the pours with acrylic in other words.  If you ever go to a duck calling competition you'll see that most of the folks compete with acrylic calls.. acrylic has a very sharp, crisp, loud sound that I wanted in my calls.  :wink:

It kind of detoxes some of those iffy woods too doesnt Brad. Thought I seen something about that here recently.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

securpro

Ah now I understand ;yes; I knew about the stabilized woods but that is something different than stabilized antler. I have two of HuntnCarve's calls and a Howler from BradH and I dont believe they are stabilized, never really checked volumn on them.  My wife is always yelling at me to stop blowing them  :nono: so I assume they are pretty loud :biggrin:

Joe
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Yotehntr

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 17, 2011, 08:43:25 PM
It kind of detoxes some of those iffy woods too doesnt Brad. Thought I seen something about that here recently.

I really wouldn't trust the stabilizing to do that... there are places in the wood or antler that the acrylic "isn't" so to speak... sanding you'll cut 1/2 way through the solid so bare Coco, blackwood, or what ever type will be showing.... the finish is what you'll be counting on to separate yourself from the toxic woods.  I personally try to put extra finish on these woods... but for the most part I just don't use them. Like Coco .... it swells my eyes shut...  as George would say...." I want cake"...  :alscalls:

Quote from: securpro on January 17, 2011, 09:52:22 PM
My wife is always yelling at me to stop blowing them  :nono: so I assume they are pretty loud :biggrin:
Joe

:alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls:   You know I have to play around and adjust every call I make...  :shrug:  You'd think my wife would get used to it...????   :shock2:

Frogman

Brad,

As always, that's a beautiful call!

JIm
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

superdirt

I only see beauty in that!!! :highclap:

David