• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

January bobcat

Started by coyote101, January 17, 2011, 07:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

Kentucky bobcat season ends in two weeks. I haven't been able to get out much this year but I decided to go out this afternoon and give it a try. I went to a place where I called a big bobcat in 2008 after the season had closed. I set out the e-caller and hung my woodpecker decoy in a small tree. I climbed a ladder stand about twenty-five yards away that is left there by the guys that deer hunt the place. I waited about fifteen minutes and then played a flicker sound on low volume for about five minutes. Nothing showed so I waited about ten minutes in silence and started the flicker again. About two minutes in she showed up. She came in with the wind directly on her tail and stopped about five yards from the decoy. I put the dot on her head and gave her a load of T-shot and down she went DRT. This is my first bobcat and what a thrill.

The view from my stand.

The Foxpro is at the base of the tree and the woodpecker decoy is hanging in it. The bobcat is laying in the center of the picture.

There she is with the Mossberg.

Hero shot with my first bobcat.

Another hero shot.

A few pellets hit this small pine tree that partially obstructed her.

It was good to get out this afternoon.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

weedwalker

WAY TO GO PAT !!! :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: That's a beautiful looking cat. :yoyo: :yoyo:

Okanagan

Yes!  WTG and then some.  I'm a little envious:  I've never killed a bobcat that pretty with spots and rosettes up the sides like that.  Man, you didn't mess around.   You got a BEAUTY for a first one!  :congrats: :congrats:

iahntr

:yoyo: :yoyo: Very nice Pat !! Congratulations !  :highclap: :highclap:
I'm sure you're pumped ! I'd love to get one someday.
Scott

Bills Custom Calls

Looks like one heck of a day    :yoyo: Congrats
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

HaMeR

Congratulations Pat!! That is a dandy cat for sure!! It's all marked up nicely.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

bambam

KySongDog

Outstanding, Pat!!!    Nice looking cat!   Congratulations!   :congrats:

linemansteve

Way to go PAT, a good looking bobcat :yoyo:  Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

Tikaani

Congrats Pat, nice looking cat. 

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Hawks Feather

Pat,

Congratulations!  That would be so neat to have a cat coming in to a call.  Won't happen around here for years and maybe never, so I will just live off of pictures like these.

Jerry

Yotehntr

:yoyo:  Congrats Pat!!! That is one pretty cat there bud!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

FinsnFur

The cats have to be the cream of the crop in all this predator hunting. :yoyo:
Congrats on a job well done.
Question :confused: How did you do your hero shots? I was always looking around for a stump or a log.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 17, 2011, 10:32:53 PM
Question :confused: How did you do your hero shots? I was always looking around for a stump or a log.

Jim, I have a couple of small tripods and I always have one or the other in my backpack.

One has rigid telescoping legs and the other has flexible legs.

I have to get on my hands and knees to set up the shot, set the timer mode, hit the shutter button, and then jump in front of the camera to pose for the hero shot. Then I review the picture to see if it turned out okay, if not I try again.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Quote from: coyote101 on January 17, 2011, 11:20:30 PM
I have to get on my hands and knees to set up the shot, set the timer mode, hit the shutter button, and then jump in front of the camera to pose for the hero shot. Then I review the picture to see if it turned out okay, if not I try again.

Pat

Hey and we appreciate it Pat :yoyo:
I forgot about the flexi-pod. Seen those a while back. I like that. Thanks for enlightening me :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

kyfuzzyface

Congrats Pat, Thats a NICE one.  :highclap: :highclap:
Fuzzy

wked

VERY nice Pat!  Good lookin cat!

Carolina Coyote

:congrats:  :congrats: Way to go Pat the Cats sure give you a rush and I have had better luck in an elevated stand so its something to consider when calling Cats.  :yoyo: cc

pitw

What the [L] is a "flicker" sound :shrug: only flicker around here is them green thingy's that come from a nasal passage that get flickered and they are pretty silent :laf: :laf: that is until Ma catch's the boys :noway:
   Great job Pat and will it be taking up residence on your wall?
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hidehunter

Thats a beautiful Cat.  Congrats  :congrats:
Denver