• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

which caliber should i get????????????

Started by coyotecontrol, February 04, 2011, 02:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotecontrol

im wanting to but the savage111FCXP3 model which i can choose the 270,7mm,.300 mag, 30-06. for the same price which would be better for coyote? which is cheaper to shoot?

coyotehunter_1

I’m sure you will get many replies to your questions.  270, 7mm, .300 mag. or 30-06?

All of those cartridges are very capable of killing coyotes, for that matter they could also handle most of the big game animals in North America. Personally, where I hunt here in the southeast, if I had to choose from your selection alone it would be a hard choice between the 30-06 and 270 with the 30-06 leading by a very slight edge, in part to due to a slightly broader bullet selection and price of factory loaded ammo. But then again I have never owned a 7mm or 300 mag. For comparison purposes, my two main “call 'em in, kill 'em dead" rifles consist of either a vintage Remy 700 chambered in 222 Remington or my “I love my Savage 10” in 243 Winchester.     
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Tikaani

I normally do not get involved in caliber questions since everyone has their favorite and tempers can easily flare on this subject.  However, if this is going to be strictly used for coyote I believe they are all to much gun, a 300 WinMag, hell that is what I use on moose and grizzlies.  I also think where you are located and the type of coyote hunting you will be doing ie. long range, dense cover etc. play in to your selection.  There are guys on this site that are far more qualified then me when it comes caliber selection when it comes to coyotes and I am sure they will steer you in the right direction.

Hunt hard, Die tired
John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

nastygunz

That sounds like spot on advice to me Big John.

iahntr

Without knowing exactly why you want that model, but just guessing,
if it's because of a lower price gun and/or you don't want the accutrigger,
I'd go with the Stevens 200,  http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
Then I'd pick the 22-250, or the .223 (which would probably be the cheapest to shoot)
if you're stuck on the 111FCXP3, I guess I'd say 30-06.  :shrug:
Scott

iahntr

sorry, I guess that link won't bring ya right to it, but
if ya click on it and got to "Center Fire", and "Stevens",
and "Stevens 200 Short" you'll see it.
Scott

FOsteology

The cartridges you listed are as close to each other as phuck is to swearing in regards to killing coyotes.
Go with the one that makes your nipples hard, just on looks alone. Though in saying that, lots of Krauts and Japs hate the '06 for some reason.....  :confused:

coyotecontrol

im stuck with this model cause its a cheap gun price wise to buy. i dont hve 600-1000 dollars to pay for a .223 or 22-250 they may be cheaper to shoot but they are nearly twice as much in price so i think im gona go with the .270 thanks for yall input!!

FOsteology

Seriously, if $$ is a huge issue (and when is it not in this day and age??) I think you should take iahntr advice.

The Stevens 200 is basically an older Savage without the accutrigger. Academy routinely has them on sale for $199.99 in .223, 22-250, 7mm-08, and .270

A .223 would serve you exceptionally well on coyotes (and will do for deer with the right bullet in a pinch if legal in your AO) and be relatively affordable on ammunition.

A Marlin XS7 would be another low cost option. I believe these are typically $300, but are a MUCH better rifle than the Savage 200. Smallest caliber available though is .243, which would be just fine on coyotes and deer.

Academy sometimes has Rem 700 on sale for $349.99. If you can fine one at that price, that would be my first choice. Excellent rifle platform, and easily "upgraded" in the future when you have some addition coin.

riverboss

Marlin- Savage Axis or Edge or the Stevens 200 are all very accurate guns and dirt cheap 223 would be about as cheap to shoot as any out there and does a great job on coyotes. I like the 22-250 and 243 more for coyotes but i own both a 223 and 22-250 there is no magic bullet or calliber but all of what youve listed are way  over kill.