• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Alaskan Wolf Down

Started by desert dog, February 09, 2011, 07:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biscuit

Man that is awesome. I would have to have a change of clothes with me if i called one of those within 25 yards of me around here. Especially if i was expecting to see a coyote :fingerx:

Butcher45

FozzyBear

Todd Rahm

QuoteIt was hard getting him out of the area and into the truck.

Maybe ya need weave a Reese Wolf Carrier or Drag?  :alscalls:

Like I said that thing looks huge and nice job. Did ya get him on video?

vvarmitr

Quote from: Todd Rahm on February 11, 2011, 09:33:06 AMMaybe ya need weave a Reese Wolf Carrier or Drag?  :alscalls:
Yeah, what's up w/ that Loran?  :shrug:
:alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls:

desert dog

To be honest, I tried to use my Coyote Carrier.  My thought was to put both ends around one foot and drag him out.  I couldnt get the dam loops around his paws, too big.  I am building one that will haul wolves and bears now. 

Todd,

I got pre and post footage of the hunt.  I will get it edited and posted.  It gives you an idea of how close he was when I dropped him.
www.reeselanyards.com

"what you pay for your calls is your business, protecting them is ours"

Todd Rahm

QuoteTo be honest, I tried to use my Coyote Carrier

You might be better served to make a couple of back pack straps.  :biggrin:

riverboss

Wow that thing is hugh i cant imagine being that close and being hunted by it with just a 223 what kind of ammo were you shooting? I watched a guy a couple weeks ago on tv that shot one with a 30-06 and it ran off o i would of ruined my hunting suit i know you would of never got the smell out of them LOL. :highclap:

bloodhound

Desert dog  = your the man...   wow is that a big dog...

Ol joe

wolf at 25 yards. his fur may have been in good shape but im not sure my under wear would have!  :laf:

recurry

Whew, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable just packing a .223 with monsters like that running around. Nice wolf though, must be wonderful to hunt in a place where it's legal to take them. We're note allowed to shoot them in WI - you only get to watch them take your cattle and kill the neighborhood pets.
Russ Curry, mobwana.com.
online mapping system for hunters.

desert dog

You guys don't give the 223 enough credit.  Properly placed bullets will do their job.  Physical body size is no bigger than a deer.  This is my second wolf to fall to this round.  I have shot coyotes with a 6mm and put a bad shot on them, never to be found.  Although, I do not recommend you carry a 223 when the brown bear are out. 
www.reeselanyards.com

"what you pay for your calls is your business, protecting them is ours"

possumal

I couldn't agree more with you, Loren, about the 223.  I see people who don't hesitate to recommend a 22-250 for coyotes but frown on the 223, even though they may be shooting the same bullet in the two.  A lot of them go for the speed of a lighter bullet where the heavier bullets have more knock down power.  Congrats again on the great wolf kill.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

JohnK

Now that's what I'm talking 'bout. You the man

bambam

That is a BIG animal ! Good job.

WldWldWest

I dont think Ole WWW coulda kept his composure with that BIG rascal "crashing" up behind him.......What's that smell???

Hell of a job! Congrats!

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Bluesman

Good job Loren.  Thanks for all the posts from Alaska.  I appreciate it very much.  I was fortunate to spend 5 weeks up there during the summer of 82.  I did not hunt but had a great time catching halibut, salmon and grayling.  I loved that Kenai peninsula....beautiful country.  I hope you get another lynx on your next try.

JB in NC
Protect our sport.  Act like you got some sense out there so future generations can enjoy hunting too,

JB