• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Scouting

Started by clubmkred, February 14, 2011, 11:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clubmkred

I was reviewing my Eastern Coyotes video and had some questions about scouting. Do you guys worry about the scent that you leave when scouting an area? I noticed both Aaron and Rich following gang trails. At what point does it become counter productive to be on their (coyote's) trails? Will scouting through their territory push them out?

And Rich, when will Volume 2 be made?

Thanks,

Ed

recurry

It's a good question, but I think it depends on where you are hunting. I hunt in a farming community, and there are both a lot of people, and a lot of coyotes - although I'm having a bit of a dry spell this season, over the last few years hunting in this area I don't think scent has played much of a role in any successes I've had. If coyotes are used to smelling people all around, I don't think they make much of a distinction between my scent being 200 yards from them, and the scent of the people who live in the house that's another 100 yards behind my position. I suppose if you're hunting in a pristine area, miles from human habitat, then your scent might be more of a factor, but generally speaking, they're used to smelling people, cars, and farm machinery around where I hunt, so I don't worry about it all that much...
Russ Curry, mobwana.com.
online mapping system for hunters.