• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

taurus 738?

Started by bigben, March 20, 2011, 07:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I have been looking at getting a .380 auto pistol for daily carry.  I looked around and decided I was gonna get either a ruger lcp, keltec p3, or the taurus 738.  I pretty much settled on the taurus based on the numerous reviews I have been reading.  anyone have any experience with this pistol?
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

I haven't got it yet.  prob gonna go pick it up on thur. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bigben

heres a pic from the net.

riverboss

If its a Taurus it will be good ive never seen a bad one they make great guns goodluck with your purchas.

FinsnFur

No no...we want pics of yours :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Frogman

I have the Kel-Tec P-3AT and really like it.  My sister has a new one called the Diamondback.  It looks like a baby Glock?

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

bigben

As soon as I get it I will upload a pic.  I have been looking for the past year now for a carry pistol.  I looked at revolvers and I looked at various autos.  I decided it would be one of the new .380acp autos.  I wanted something I could carry without printin bad in a pair of shorts and t shirt.  I was pretty much set on a a lcp from ruger.  and I kinda didn't worry about buying another gun last year because of some different things that were going on in my life.  Well in the last few weeks I have been looking again and after some trips to bass pro and holding the keltech, the lcp, and the tcp I pretty much decided on the tcp.  I have a hard time getting big fingers in the lcp and the keltec trigger gaurd.  the TCP has a bigger trigger guard area.  the tcp seems to be priced cheaper and ya get a spare mag with it.  The slide locks back as well on the last shot which is something the other two do not do.  hope to get to the range on friday to run some rounds through it.  everything I have read on this lil gun makes me like it even more and more. 

bigben

I went and picked this little gun up this afternoon.  I got the gun which came with two mags, lock out keys, a conceal carry pouch, and instructions.  I also picked up a box of FMJ (50rds of practice ammo) and some hornady critical defense rounds.  tax fees and when all was said and done 312 out the door.  the gun has a blackened stainless slide.  the rest of it is polymer.  I couldn't wait to shoot it though.  so as soon as I got home I set up 5 beer cans and paced off 5yds.  filled the mag up with fmj and racked a shell.  First shot was a bit high.  I think I got a bit excited.  the next 5 where on target hitting all 5 cans.  threw the other mag in and sent 6 more down the pipe.  again I was amazed at how accurate this little gun is.  I sat a gallon milk jug up at 10yds and shot.  hit it every time.  now this was not empty the gun shooting.  I was taking my time to get to know the double action trigger which is something new to me.  I shot a half a box of fmj threw it and the lil gun was starting to make its presence known.  for such a lil cartridge it kicks pretty good.  in all I am happy.  I practiced with an empty gun on drawing from the included holster a bit and it was actually easier then it looks.  I need to get some more rounds through the gun but so far I am very happy with it.  only malfunction is once it did not chamber the last round and it was on the first clip.  a simple pull on the slide and it sent it home to fire once more. 

some pics attached.   

bigben

some more of the holster.

FinsnFur

I like it, but it seems a bit small, especially for a guy your size. Does it seems small or awkward in your hand?

Did you buy it brand new?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

I bought it brand new.  and yes it is small.  that is one of its good qualities.  I wanted a pistol I could carry and not feel like I am sticking out like a sore thumb.  but it really isn't hard to keep a good grip on it.  like I said it makes its presence known with the recoil.  you can tell its a light gun.  I think this lil gun kicks harder then my uncles desert eagle .357.  the best thing about it is I can shoot it accurately and it is small enough that I want to carry it.  if it is a burden on me I leave it at home or in the truck.  a pistol doesn't do much good when ya don't carry it.

FinsnFur

Ya may want to do the shoot and clean, shoot and clean process a while, while it's broke in to eliminate the jams.

Speaking of Desert Eagle. Those bad boys were first available to the public in 1982. And I wanted one so bad. Two days after I turned 18 (1984) I went and bought a brand new one. Gawd I loved that thing.
Hit hard times shortly after my first born and had to sell it. :sad:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

A pocket pistol I like (but haven't bought yet) is the Kel-Tec PF-9.   I have heard and read a lot of good things about it.   It is advertised as the lightest, flattest 9mm made.

MI VHNTR

I've had a few PF-9s on order since the beginning of March. Not one has shown up yet. They are hard to come by right now.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

FinsnFur

Com....pleet.....leee... off topic right now.  MI VHNTR, your avatar rocks :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

Threw another 100 rds down the pipe this afternoon.  Only two hiccups.  It locked back with one round in the mag twice.  No ftf or fte. 

slagmaker

I am thinking about the Taraus TCP and your posts are helping to make that decesion for me.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Are you cleaning it Ben?
Like ridiculously often? I bet it would end your jams. :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

actually taurus recommends that you clean the gun before fireing a round.  I just cleaned it last night but haven't shot anything.  from what I have read is the problem I am having is the gun needs to be broke in.  it really isn't bad.  the gun doesn't jam.  reach up and release the slide lock and your in business for that last shot.  gonna get another 100 round next weekend and throw some more down the pipe.  everything I have read is 200rds should be appropriate breakin period.