• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Trip Snacks In A Pinch!

Started by AWMiller, March 22, 2011, 12:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AWMiller

I've used this quite a bit whenever I'm heading out for a day of fishing or hunting... One of the best things to do is pack a meal that will be easy to eat and not call for a lot of work to put together or require different utensils.  So here's what I do...

First I make up a bunch of East Texas Po-Boy Sandwiches ... I take some crackers (the kind that has four little crackers still stuck together on the edges)  and spread a light layer of mayo (Hellman's of course!) then a slice of cheese.  Top it off with another cracker and you have a mini-sandwich! Toss some into zip-lock baggies and off you go!

Or I'll take a big wide-mouth thermos for some hot dogs.  Get yourself some beef franks or hot links and put however many you are going to eat into the thermos.  Boil some water and pour into the thermos and make sure you cover the links/dogs with water.  When you're ready for a snack just take out the frank/link and toss it onto a bun.  Squirt on some mayo (Hellman's of course!) or mustard, or whatever and chow down!  That thermos will keep those franks/links nice and warm throughout the day!

So.... what are some of your meals that you like to toss together in a pinch for your trips?!

pitw

If it's cold out I'll take a thermos of corn chowder that I'll make the day before.  Warm out, it'll be a block of cheese, package or two of my ready to eat sausage and a box of crackers.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

AW your snacks looked pretty good until I saw the Hellman's mayo Down south its "Duke" if you have never had it try some you will throw the Hellman's in the garbage can. :eyebrownod: cc

AWMiller

HA!  well being in Texas, I'm about as "down south" as one can get without crossing the border into mexico!!!   Didn't Hellman's buy out Duke's??!!   :alscalls:

Carolina Coyote

Well you know I have not heard that they did but Congradulations on being from Texas, you should be aware of a Duke's Mayo and Tomatoe snadwitch, can't beat it.   :biggrin: cc

bambam

deer jerky and sardines and crackers.

bigben

never thought of doing the hot dog in the wide mouth thermos.  pretty cool idea.  normally I pack tuna.  I normally get the packs of garlic and herb flavored.  pack of crackers and I am good winter or summer.  although a good sharp cheese and some weavers balogna is pretty good.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

Jerky, trail mix, snickers, cold meat :biggrin:
Throw it in a bag and go.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vayotehowler

pbj keeps good on a warm or cold day and jsut the right amount of balance carbs and protein for energy and stick with ya

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on March 22, 2011, 07:27:22 PM
Jerky, trail mix, snickers, cold meat :biggrin:
Throw it in a bag and go.

Ditto.  I don't like messy stuff.

Venison summer sausage is a staple.  The hot dogs in a wide mouth themos is a good idea.  I will fess up that I eat a lot of cold franks with a slice of bread wrapped around them on hunts when I want a quick meal and don't want to take time to heat or cook. 

We keep a backpack stove in my rig and sometimes heat stew on a tailgate or roadside rock.  Also build a quick fire to roast hotdogs sometimes if lunch is by my rig.  As you can tell, we do a lot of our hunting out of a vehicle on the move for tracks, or game to glass, often in snow.  Otherwise we backpack hunt, and on such hikes, I like baked potatoes in the jacket with a little salt:  non-messy, high carb energy and you eat the whole package.  Rarely do we hunt from a fixed camp or cabin, so a lot of meals are on the go between spots we hunt.