• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Shotgun Chokes

Started by weedwalker, May 08, 2011, 12:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Here is an interesting piece of information. The tightest patterns from my Beretta Extrema2 are achieved with Hevi-shot "Dead Coyote T's. The Kicks BuckKicker  .690 or their Gobbling Thunder .680 both throw very dense patterns at 50 yards.
The problem is that those patterns strike quite a lot higher than do the lead loads, so a man needs to decide which load he likes and stick with it.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

weedwalker

I FOUND MY NEW HUNTING CHOKE!!!!! I ordered the new ported "Carlson's Coyote Choke". It's AWSOME. I had some pics but accidentally deleted them. But I was shooting at a 24" X 24" target with a paper plate in the middle. With 4 BUCK it put 32 out of 41 pellets on the paper with 5 in the plate at 50 yards. I then tried a BB load. It put 66 out of 81 pellets on the paper with 8 in the plate at 50 yards. Both were fairly dense patterns without big gaps. I have no idea what the actuall restriction is on it but it's pretty tight.
You can't order them on-line yet if you want one. You have to call on the phone. On-line they are trying to sell out the older version Dead Coyote choke before they put the new one on there.

Carlson's 785-626-3700 ask for Scott.

KySongDog

I got one on order.  So I'm hoping my luck with it is as good as Ed's.

Quote from: weedwalker on August 09, 2011, 07:35:02 PM
I had some pics but accidentally deleted them.

Ed, I'll send those pics you sent me back your way.

weedwalker

Thanks Semp, Here's a pic of the BB load, I don't have one of the 4 BUCK load........................

FinsnFur

:eyebrownod: You gotta like that.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyotehunter_1

QuoteBoth were fairly dense patterns without big gaps.

When we talked Sunday you were saying that you felt the new choke tube showed lots of promise... I believe!  :shock2: I would imagine an ol' coyote would have a hard time sneaking through patterns like that. :highclap:

Edit: Ed, I forgot to ask you... is your 870 drilled & tapped for a weaver style mount?
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

weedwalker

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on August 10, 2011, 03:53:38 PMis your 870 drilled & tapped for a weaver style mount?

Chet, no it isn't drilled & tapped

coyotehunter_1

Ed, not everyone likes optic sights on a scatter gun but should you ever decide you would like a mount installed you have my number.  :wink:

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

weedwalker

Thanks Chet, :bowingsmilie: but I'm one of those that prefer the simplicity of an open sight on a shotgun. :biggrin:

KySongDog

I drilled and tapped my SBE and put a low power 1x3 scope on it.   That made a big difference because I can adjust my pattern to center it.   Also, the target is much easier to see.  For turkey or coyote hunting, I really like it.

coyotehunter_1

I agree Semp.  Sometimes optics, like removable choke tubes, can make a good scatter gun even more user friendly.

Ed, I understand 100%, it's a personal thing. A couple of my specialized shotguns carry optics or else adjustable sights while the rest wear beads. :wink:  My friend, the offer will always be open to you should you choose other wise. :biggrin:

KySongDog

I had ordered one of those new Carlson coyote chokes after talking to Weedwalker about it and received it a couple of days ago.   Went out to the range to pattern my shotgun with it today.

Here are the results:

After I tweaked my scope a bit to center the pattern more or less.....

3 1/2 inch shell 4 buck, 9 inch paper plate at a laser range of 50 yards.  9 hits on the plate and the pattern was pretty uniform around the plate too.   Here is a pic of the plate.

Then I tried Rem HD BB's  3 1/2 inch shell,  9 inch paper plate at a ranged 50 yards.   20 hits on the plate and a pretty uniform pattern around it.   Here is a pic of the plate.

I am real happy with those patterns.   I think the new Carlson coyote choke is a winner.    :yoyo:    But, of course, YMMV.  :biggrin:

Now I got to go find me the magic bullet.........a good 100 yard choke.   :eyebrownod:

coyotehunter_1

WOW!!! Now there won't be a paper plate anywhere that will be safe :thumb2: plus those coyote critters will be a hurting too. :highclap: 

Looking  good, Semp !   :congrats:

weedwalker

I'm glad the choke worked as good for you as it does for me. :yoyo: Recommending a certain choke is like recommending a size 10 shoe. It'll work for some but not everybody. Every gun is different. :biggrin:

KySongDog

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on August 12, 2011, 05:35:30 PM
WOW!!! Now there won't be a paper plate anywhere that will be safe :thumb2: plus those coyote critters will be a hurting too. :highclap: 

Looking  good, Semp !   :congrats:

Yep, the easy part is spending money and buying stuff.   The harder part is finding a coyote to stand in front of that choke.   :eyebrownod:

riverboss

Aint that the truith!       Ed it looks like youve got something started with these choke tubes they ought to put you on the payroll !   And im sure the coyotes wont like you much either LOL.

Rich

Here is a 40 yard pattern I shot with 3" #4 Buck at 40 yards. Choke is a Kicks .680 Gobbling Thunder.

Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

Todd Rahm

Rich that would be a very dead coyote.  :congrats: