• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Shotgun Chokes

Started by weedwalker, May 08, 2011, 12:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weedwalker

I haven't been totaly satisfied with my chokes for coyote hunting. It seems like I'm always compromising between one choke or the other. I've got a Dead Coyote choke, but wasn't impressed with the pattern out of my gun. I think the restriction may have been too tight causing a lot of flyers. I've been using a Rem turkey choke that shoots a decent pattern, but it's for lead shot only. Not recommended for plated shot or Hevi-Shot. So after shopping around, and a freind trying this choke in his gun with excellent results, I'm going to try this choke in the .690 XFULL. It will shoot any kind of shot, so if it patterns good I'd be happy with it.

Carlson's Choke Tubes.....
Our Sporting Clays Choke Tubes are made from 17-4 stainless and precision machined to produce a choke tube that patterns better than standard choke tubes. These choke tubes feature a 25% larger parallel section in the choke thus throwing more consistent patterns than conventional choke tubes. Each choke tube is knurled on the end to allow for quick and easy removal. Each choke tube has the constriction laser marked on the end for easy reference. These choke tubes are backed by our lifetime warranty.

Lead shot, Steel Shot, Copperplated Shot, Nickel Shot, Hevi-Shotshellsâ,,¢, and Buck Shot can be used in our Sporting Clay Choke Tubes. Steel shot larger than BBS should not be used in any Sporting Clays Choke Tube tighter than Full Constriction. Our Sporting Clays Choke Tubes will throw tighter/denser patterns than Flush Mount Choke Tubes due to a longer parallel section.

hunter724

the cabelas brand works well in both of my shotguns and there on sale right now for 19.99

Rich

WeedWalker,

Shotguns of various brands and models have different internal bore diameters.  The choke tube needed for one shotgun may be wrong for another. On the Comp-N-Choke site, you can find nominal bore diameter for most of the popular shotguns. I shoot a Beretta Extrema2, and have settled on the ported chokes from Kicks Industries.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

weedwalker

Thanks Rich. I know every gun is different. I've tried several chokes but just haven't found that right one yet. If this one's not right, I can keep sending them back to swap for another one. It's a Rem 870 that has had the barrel cut to 21" and re-threaded. I'll let y'all know how it does.

Rich

WeedWalker,

It is good that you have the choice of  trading your choke tubes for another at no cost. That is very good customer service. For lead BB's I think you will find a .670 tube will get you in the ball park. For #4 BUCK (not bird), a .680 or .690 will likely do pretty good for you.  The high density fodder like Hevi-Shot, or Remington HD sometimes prefer a slightly larger choke diameter but not always.
Foxpro Field staff

weedwalker

Yeah Rich, I was using a .665 with BBs. And it did pretty good with those. But buckshot is legal here finally so I'm opening up to the .690 for 4 BUCK.

CCP

QuoteThe choke tube needed for one shotgun may be wrong for another.

So true my 870 after trying so many high dollar tight chokes I was about to give up. I then tried an old 13 dollar carlson full .700 and it gave me the tightest pattern at 50 yards with Dead Coyote, #1 and #4 buck than any of the others. Now my buddies browning shoots the same loads better with a .690..
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

shaddragger

Not sure what shot size you are shooting but I have found great results in my 870 with the Undertaker turkey chokes in 4-5 shot. Make sure if you shoot HD loads you select the HD choke.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

KySongDog

I've been playing around with chokes too since they legalized 4 buck in KY.    I tried the Pattern Master choke and sent it back for a refund.  The pattern was very thin.  My Briley turkey choke patterned better but not great.   40 yards and under it does pretty good.  It is a .665 choke.   I also have an Undertaker that is .675 it was about the same at the Briley.

I may give one of those Kick's chokes a try since Cronk has had good luck with his.  I am looking for a good 50 yard pattern. 

Rich

Semp,

Which brand and model of shotgun are you shooting?
Foxpro Field staff

KySongDog

Rich

I have a Benelli SBE (the first model, not the newer SBE II) with a 24 inch barrel. 

Which model Kick's choke are you using?

Rich

Semp,

I am going to do a google search to see if I can find the nominal bore diameter of your SBE. I shoot a Beretta Extrema2. My gun likes the Kicks "BuckKicker" X-full for #4 Buck and Hevi shot T's. Now the BuckKicker X-full is .690 I.D. for my Beretta. I also use a Kicks .680 that works real well. If you call Kicks Industries, they may agree to allow you to try the BuckKicker and let you trade for next size smaller I.D. if the BuckKicker doesn't pattern to your satisfaction.
Foxpro Field staff

KySongDog

Rich

I think the nominal bore diameter is .723  but I am not 100% sure. 

Rich

Semp,
I believe that you are correct. I think that your gun accepts standard Beretta/Benelli tubes, and your Kicks BuckKicker X-full would likely be a .680 I.D. Here is a link that should take you to more information. http://www.kicks-ind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Kicks&Category_Code=BuckKicker
Foxpro Field staff

clubmkred

Interesting thread.

I have had nothing but bad things to say about the Hevi-shot Dead Coyote and Carlson's Dead Coyote choke tube... That combination patterns absolutely terrible out of my Mossberg 535AT. At 40 yards, I was only getting 3-5 pellets in an 8 inch circle.... Just goes to show, that you have to try different chokes and ammo combos to get the best out of each gun...

I am still in the hunt for a good combo for my gun... Haven't put an enormous amout of effort into it, due to cost of ammo. I recently ordered a box of the Federal Heavyweight Coyote with the flight control wad... We will see how that performs here soon.

weedwalker

I didn't take any pics. The choke didn't do what I wanted. I shot it at 40, 45, and 50 yards. At 40 it did very good. But after that it's like it hit a wall and spread all over at 45 and 50.
They didn't have the one in stock that I wanted to exchange to. So they said send it back for a refund. It's on the way. :sad:
So far, my Remington super full turkey is doing better than any of the others. But I'm restricted to lead shot with it. And that's really the only gripe I have about that choke. I'd just like to have a choke that will also shoot Hevi-Shot should I take a notion to use it. Oh well, I got a few months to get it lined out.

coyotehunter_1

QuoteThe choke didn't do what I wanted.

Ed, was this the Carlton Sporting Clays?

QuoteSo far, my Remington super full turkey is doing better than any of the others. But I'm restricted to lead shot with it. And that's really the only gripe I have about that choke. I'd just like to have a choke that will also shoot Hevi-Shot should I take a notion to use it.

I'm in the same boat here with a Remington 870 Express Mag. I'm looking to use the 3" Dead Coyote T shot, the largest size shot we can use here in TN.  Remington says their 870 barrels are not back bored like some other shotguns and recommend a extended choke tube, designed for high density shot, in a heavy modified to light full choke size. Supposedly these will pattern better when using the larger T sized heavy shot. :shrug:  I don't have either choke right now but will have as soon as I can find one.  :whew:

A person could spend a pretty good war pension testing different chokes and loads.  :argh:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

weedwalker

Chet, Yes it was the sporting clays choke. I've got one of their Dead Coyote choke tubes too that I've had for a few years. Out of my gun, it's about a 40 yard choke also. They are coming out with a "New & Improved" coyote choke, and that's the one I was going to exchange to, But it won't be available for a couple more months.

shaddragger

:corn: Interesting stuff!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

coyotehunter_1

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.