• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My Oryx Hunt

Started by LiL-Hammer, July 02, 2011, 06:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiL-Hammer

ORYX HUNT
I just got back from camp and wanted to tell you about my hunt. I also wanted to thank all of the guys who bought tickets to support me.
Once I arrived at camp and my parents left I went to the shooting range and shot a bulls eye at 50 yards and shot a silhouette of a fox at 100 yards in the neck. After they found out I could shoot, a little time in Mr. Mobley’s nice pool and axis burgers for dinner, it was time to hunt.
So Matt, John (cameraman) and I all headed out for the first evening hunt. After a little time in the stand a nice 30” plus Axis buck came out to the feeder, and a little later on out came some Whitetail. We had a good night, but no signs of the Oryx. Once I arrived back at camp I waited on the other girls to return, a little later Emma returns back with a big pig.
Early the next morning I woke up at 5 a.m. and went on the search for a big Oryx. We returned to the same stand and saw Axis, Red Stagg, Whitetail, and Fallow. Again no Oryx came in this morning, but it was another great hunt. So we headed to camp to have some of Sarah’s great cooking. We went to devotions, which were great, then spent time getting to know the girls. Later on we had lunch and then went to the pool. After a great Mexican food dinner, it was time to spot and stalk. We headed out of camp on foot and we finally found the Oryx. We tried to ease in behind the trees and get setup on the bogpod. The Oryx busted us and took off. So we tried a second stalk and we went to the front stand in the trees. A large herd of Whitetail bucks and does came in, and ended the stalk while I was trying to get setup. So back to camp for dessert and some sleep.
We returned to the stand where we left them the night before. About an hour into the hunt there were Aoudad, Blackbuck, and Fallow. About 15 to 20 minutes later we looked down the tree line and could see the horns of the Oryx coming over the hill. I started to get setup and here come the Oryx. It took ten minutes for the Oryx to present an opportunity for a shot. As I moved the crosshairs to the shoulder I waited for the ok to shoot. The cameraman advised me it was ok to shoot when I was ready. As I clicked the safety off, the Oryx looked up. I then squeezed the trigger, as he jumped we saw blood and knew it was a good hit. We lost sight of him as he went down into the draw. After about 15 minutes and some high fives we began a short tracking job. As we came to the top of the hill we saw the Oryx lying in the bottom of the draw. We called for some help loading it up and headed back to camp for a photo session and more high fives.
The rest of the week we enjoyed the rest of the activities including: Swimming, games, spotlighting late at night, and fishing. It was awesome getting to see all of the other girls hunting successes as they harvested Aoudad, Blackbuck, White Fallow, Axis, Hogs, and Sitka. I would like to thank everybody at Christian Outdoor Alliance and Texas Trophy Hunters Association for a great camp and I can’t wait till next year.

HaMeR

:yoyo: :yoyo:  Congratulations on a fine hunt & shot & a very nice detailed write up of it all!! Thanks for sharing.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Awesome write up. :congrats: Thanks for sharing that.
You've had some pretty blessed hunting opportunities and I love seeing and reading about every one of them.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

John_NY

That was quite a hunt by the sounds and one I'm sure you will remember for a lifetime. I know I would. Congrats on getting such a beautiful animal.

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

BMD

She says the meat is awesome! It's what's for dinner tomorrow night :)

shaddragger

:yoyo: :highclap: Great story, Lil-Hammer! Congratulations on a grand oryx!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

nastygunz

Future famous outdoor writer  :yoyo:

BMD

Thanks guys she is still crashed this am sure she will check in when she wakes up :)

LiL-Hammer

Thanks everyone
I had a blast at camp

Dave

Congats to you on your trophy oryx.  That was a fantastic write up - sounds like all your hunts were exciting, and you got to meet some new friends. 

coyote101

A great write up.  :congrats: :congrats: Thanks for sharing. Congratulations again on a successful hunt.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

LiL-Hammer

Thanks guys. The trip was amazing and I had a blast  :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:

slagmaker

Man what can I say that hasnt been already said.

Congrats on an excellent hunt. Look forward to more great reading from you.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

LiL-Hammer

WldWldWest

I think that's the coolest story I've read on here to date!!!

Great job on your Kill! That's a beautiful animal! Most of us old guy's could only dream of taking such a critter! :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

5 SHOTS

:bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :hellyeah:

I don't know what else to say. Awesome.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

iahntr

What a great experience !
and capped off with the harvest
of a beautiful animal.
Very cool ! Thanks for sharin it with us.  :highclap: :highclap:
Scott

LiL-Hammer

Thanks guys
I had a lot of fun at camp and was glad to be able to share my story with y'all :)

bambam

Great story and a great trophy !!!  Congrats !  :yoyo: :yoyo:

LiL-Hammer